The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 AM

Default Emerald X30 - Another string thread

I really felt that I had to post this. First of all I need to say that when it comes to the tone of an unplugged acoustic guitar I'm not very particular. I like everything from a dark sounding J45 all the way up to a bright Taylor. Now as we all know strings play a pretty big part in the sound we get from an acoustic guitar, that is obvious, but just how much difference do they really make. I admit to sticking almost exclusively to Elixir strings at least for the last 5 years, probably longer. When I did venture to try a different set it was usually another type of coated string or an exotic type like D'addario Nickel bronze for example. The most recent exotic strings that I tried was Ernie Ball aluminum bronze. Those had a pretty significant impact as they made my X30 have lower volume than my X20 which was certainly weird.

Some of you may remember in other threads that I had an order for a bunch of John Pearse strings. The order showed up a few days ago and I was planning to try the pure nickels first but I ended up stringing the X30 with the phosphor bronze bluegrass strings (12-56 my preferred gauge these days). Here I am a couple days later with the strings well broken in and I'm still in awe of how good these strings are. I don't know if it's because these strings are just plain awesome, my ears are so used to coated strings, or phosphor bronze are a better match for this particular guitar. Whatever the reason is it doesn't matter and I'm sure glad I decided to order John Pearse stings. Next time you're at your local guitar store do yourself a favor and buy a set.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

"First of all I need to say that when it comes to the tone of an unplugged acoustic guitar I'm not very particular. I like everything from a dark sounding J45 all the way up to a bright Taylor"

And this is why an cannot, for the life of me decide on my next acoustic!!!!
I likem all.

Last edited by rdamato; 04-27-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I don't know if it's because these strings are just plain awesome, my ears are so used to coated strings, or phosphor bronze are a better match for this particular guitar.
This somewhat confuses me. You say you have been using Elixir strings almost exclusively, but does this mean you never tried their phosphor bronze strings?

Once I switched from Elixir 80/20 to Elixir phosphor bronze I never looked back.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-27-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried the JP's on any CF guitar yet, they were the only string to use on certain Martins I've had though. Good stuff.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
This somewhat confuses me. You say you have been using Elixir strings almost exclusively, but does this mean you never tried their phosphor bronze strings?

Once I switched from Elixir 80/20 to Elixir phosphor bronze I never looked back.
Yes I have used Elixir phosphor bronze strings when I was using light gauge strings. I also tried custom light. I've been kind of stuck on bluegrass gauge once I first tried them several months ago. I found the Elixir phosphor bronze to have this "shrilliness" to them, is that even a word. It's hard to describe but I never liked them anyway. Not a knock at Elixir strings by no means they have been my go to brand for quite some time. Maybe one day I'll revisit elixir phosphor bronze bluegrass gauge this time but right now I'm really digging these John Pearse strings. Sorry for the confusion hope this clears it up.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Default Another string update

I love the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings so much on the X30 I decided to give em a go on the X20 last night. It couldn't have went worse. Made the X20 really muddy with poor note separation. Played for about an hour or so and put the X20 down. Its fascinating how you can love a certain set of strings on one guitar and hate them on another.

Here I am today and decided to take them off and try John Pearse pure nickels. I bought both light and medium gauge and I've been using mostly bluegrass gauge the last while but decided to give the lights a try. So far very impressed with these strings I decided to try them on the X30 as well. Same result...impressed. I have tried the D'addario nickel bronze on the X30 before (never had the X20 then) and I thought they were just ok. To my ears the JP nickels are warm sounding but a tad brighter than the D'addario's (from my memory). I'm planning to do an X30 vs X20 tonal comparison video in the near future so it will also be a good time to showcase these strings as well.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 PM

my bias: i hate elixir strings. can't stand the sound of them. sorry, elixir lovers.

I'm normally a loyal John Pearse user. But right before this guitar came I decided to try out Martin Retros (monels) on all of my guitars.

the x30 was too dark, too muddy in the middle, with poor note separation.

So I tried out a pack of Santa Cruz strings I had, and wow, a totally different instrument! They were the lights, but I'm interested in trying mediums, too, to see what that does to this carbon fiber top.

It's so much more balanced, with a complexity and lushness that almost feels like a 12 string at times.

I think I'm done with my Retro experiment. I'm going to trying Straight Up Strings next...
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
my bias: i hate elixir strings. can't stand the sound of them. sorry, elixir lovers.

I'm normally a loyal John Pearse user. But right before this guitar came I decided to try out Martin Retros (monels) on all of my guitars.

the x30 was too dark, too muddy in the middle, with poor note separation.

So I tried out a pack of Santa Cruz strings I had, and wow, a totally different instrument! They were the lights, but I'm interested in trying mediums, too, to see what that does to this carbon fiber top.

It's so much more balanced, with a complexity and lushness that almost feels like a 12 string at times.

I think I'm done with my Retro experiment. I'm going to trying Straight Up Strings next...
It's always fun to experiment with strings. I found the X30 to take different strings and string gauges very well, the X20 not so much. Once you get past the string break in period that's when you can really tell. I ended up having to go back to light gauge 80/20 on the X20. Lots of string choices out there. Unlike you I do like Elixir strings but I'm trying to deviate from coated strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber