The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I quietly (no NGD post) purchased a 317e last week and really like it. Initially, I was, like others who anticipated this or that tone, a bit disappointed. However, now that the initial newness of the strings has dissipated, I'm nothing but really pleased with this guitar. No, it's not a boomy dread, but it has a rather dry articulate quiality that is really nice when played either fingerstyle or strummed, acoustic or amplified. I've never been good at describing tone, but I'm starting to understand and hear Andy Powers' attempts to capture an old timey sound. The one thing that I'd say, if my 317 is any indication, is that those who make a quick judgment of a Grand Pacific with new strings may be missing the best part of this model - kind of like tasting an orange peel and deciding that one doesn't like oranges....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-14-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I quietly (no NGD post) purchased a 317e last week and really like it. Initially, I was, like others who anticipated this or that tone, a bit disappointed. However, now that the initial newness of the strings has dissipated, I'm nothing but really pleased with this guitar. No, it's not a boomy dread, but it has a rather dry articulate quiality that is really nice when played either fingerstyle or strummed, acoustic or amplified. I've never been good at describing tone, but I'm starting to understand and hear Andy Powers' attempts to capture an old timey sound. The one thing that I'd say, if my 317 is any indication, is that those who make a quick judgment of a Grand Pacific with new strings may be missing the best part of this model - kind of like tasting an orange peel and deciding that one doesn't like oranges....

Aaaaaaaand, now my gas is back. Thanks a lot! Lol
Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

After doing a side-by-side comparison of my new 317 and my 320, I'd add that the 317's voice seems more focused while the 320, a true dread, has a broader, less focused sound. Don't get me wrong, I really like both; but (and I'll probably get lambasted for saying this) I don't know that the 317 (and perhaps the other Grand Pacifics) wouldn't be better appreciated if the word dread weren't used to either name or describe them. In other words, like the GC, the GA, and the GO, just refer to this new model as a GP or a -17, not a slope shouldered dread; and you may very well find a Taylor that speaks to you...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
After doing a side-by-side comparison of my new 317 and my 320, I'd add that the 317's voice seems more focused while the 320, a true dread, has a broader, less focused sound. Don't get me wrong, I really like both; but (and I'll probably get lambasted for saying this) I don't know that the 317 (and perhaps the other Grand Pacifics) wouldn't be better appreciated if the word dread weren't used to either name or describe them. In other words, like the GC, the GA, and the GO, just refer to this new model as a GP or a -17, not a slope shouldered dread; and you may very well find a Taylor that speaks to you...
Good point, RP...

Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:

That’s a good point. It’s more similar to a Larrivee L shape to me.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Aaaaaaaad, now we’re gonna get nine more pages to this thread...

Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Although I'm going to the Road Show this weekend at Chuck Levin's, I knew I was probably not going to get much quiet time at the event with the light classical fingerstyle I like to play - so once I knew that they had Grand Pacifics in stock, I popped in yesterday when I knew it would be quiet. While there I Played 2 of the Grand Pacifics for the first time ever - both a 317 and a 517. I was very impressed. Bigger sound than the Grand Auditoriums and it seems to be a very balanced, sweet dark sound, and the same can't be said for many other dreads I've played. My new-to-me K16 LTD was noticeably louder in the mids and highs compared to the GPs. Although the GPs have a darker sound the K16 has a more hi-fi sound.

Of those two Grand Pacifics, I liked the 317 better, but in all fairness to the 517, it was buzzing like crazy and needed a truss rod adjustment at the very least - that was very distracting.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great points RP! Based on my tests yesterday and the recordings I've heard, the GPs are indeed more focused and balanced than a traditional dread. For me, with the classical fingerstyle I mostly do, this balance is essential. Although I love me some bass as much as any of you out there, nothing throws off a Bach cello suite triad more than an unfocused ethereal bass - for me it just doesn't work.

Congrats on your new 317 - based on my tests yesterday, that is a guitar I would be very comfortable with.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Martingitdave, interesting point.

I have been wondering how the GPs compaired to the Larrivee L series guitars.
And I still want to see a video with the 317 vs DSS17 matchup.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:

You make a very good point. Having had the opportunity to play my 517 BE for two+ months now, I would emphasize that the transformation is more than just strings. As I have posted here more than a few times, my 517 sounded quiet and kind of thin the first time I pulled it out of the case. That really didn't surprise me all that much considering that the guitar was completed only 1 1/2 months before it was in my hands. It was brand new, had never been played, and I was even concerned that the hide glue and finish hadn't even had time to fully cure. I think many believed that because it has a torrefied top that it should sound like like a 30 yr. old guitar right out of the box. Well mine didn't. But I played it a lot, and can honestly say that now it is easily louder than my 16 yr. old Gibson AJ, as loud as my 1991 Taylor jumbo and Martin D-15S, and almost as loud as my 2005 custom D-28.

But I wasn't hoping to buy the loudest guitar in the world. I wanted a guitar that would compliment my existing stable, and give me a new and different voice. Putting all comparisons aside, and just thinking about how my 517 sounds, I find its tone to be intoxicating. I have mentioned in an earlier post how, after playing for an hour or two, I put it in its stand and attempt to walk away. But like a moth drawn to the flame I find myself going back for "just a few more minutes" which always turns into 30 if not 45 minutes of additional playing. While the 517 does not have the "boom" of a Martin dread, it is one of the most sensitive to player input guitars that I have played in the last 30 years. And one of the most balanced. This guitar gives me a heightened sense of creativity. After 2 months I find that if I want loud all I have to do is dig in a little bit more, and I know it will sound even better in the next 2 months. I believe the GP responds better to fingerpicking than any other dread I have played. And don't even let me get started on the playability and comfort of this exceptional guitar. It's amazing.

At this point I've tried to do my public service about getting the word out on the new GP 517. I'm about done. For those of you sitting on the fence I would suggest that you forget about the new GPs for about 6 months. If you are still curious about these new models after that time, find one that has been played a lot. My guess is that you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by BoneNut74; 05-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM

Bone Nut is done almost!

I am only getting started....my 717e is sensational and more sensational every time I open the case.

The problem with newness mentioned earlier must be what is caught on all new guitar videos, regardless of make, but ...you either like it or you don't after watching the video.

Myself, I am extremely pleased to be playing something with a lot of new ideas like the V Class and the Builder's Edition things are the icing on the cake. GAS made me think of getting both the 517 and then later the 317 as well!!! Nowhere to put any more guits. BUT, I don't know what I will do if they bring out a Builder's Edition Grand Concert....

(hope they are reading - I don't think I even care what a BE GC timber specs are.....but a Koa or Ebony would be special..hint hint Andy P!)

BluesKing777.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Bone Nut is done almost!

I am only getting started....my 717e is sensational and more sensational every time I open the case.

The problem with newness mentioned earlier must be what is caught on all new guitar videos, regardless of make, but ...you either like it or you don't after watching the video.

Myself, I am extremely pleased to be playing something with a lot of new ideas like the V Class and the Builder's Edition things are the icing on the cake. GAS made me think of getting both the 517 and then later the 317 as well!!! Nowhere to put any more guits. BUT, I don't know what I will do if they bring out a Builder's Edition Grand Concert....

(hope they are reading - I don't think I even care what a BE GC timber specs are.....but a Koa or Ebony would be special..hint hint Andy P!)

BluesKing777.
Almost done talking, not done playing. I agree that the Builder's Edition features are really nice! This guitar is a great addition to a traditionally braced household.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Bone Nut is done almost!

BluesKing777.
I'm inching closer to a 717 I think, but going to try one out this weekend. My 000-18 is really nice, but I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm already wishing it sounded bigger for DADGAD. This is the sound I'm going for with DADGAD quite honestly....

https://youtu.be/hHmN13F8tFs

and

https://youtu.be/XA09e1GCAJ8
Old 05-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm inching closer to a 717 I think, but going to try one out this weekend. My 000-18 is really nice, but I've only had it 2 weeks and I'm already wishing it sounded bigger for DADGAD. This is the sound I'm going for with DADGAD quite honestly....

https://youtu.be/hHmN13F8tFs

and

https://youtu.be/XA09e1GCAJ8

While my new 717e can do DADGAD and much, much more - it sounds nice...BUT, the absolute KING of DADGAD permanently in that tuning in my house is my Lowden O22...bigger guitar and bigger sound. But no pickup.

I would look at a Lowden O25, used perhaps, if you want rosewood DADGAD.

Here are a couple of videos I looked up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqNMqT_sx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOamriOXDU

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 05-16-2019 at 04:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion