The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-10-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Default reversion to norm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's happened to the Red Sox this year? Obviously their pitching wasn't ready after the pre-season.
While I ain't jumping off the bridge into the Charles yet, I'd say that the Sox's spring training games looked pretty bad. (Okay, so they sounded bad--I listen to the broadcasts).

But everyone said that Spring Training games don't matter (unless they do).

The team is not playing well. The starting pitching didn't clock many spring innings--so they're not stretched out. Some might say they've lost their favorite catcher, but I'm not going to go that route.

Honestly, they pitched better than expected last year. They won a lot of games that they should have lost. Players often have career years and follow with decent, but unspectacular years. So perhaps this is reversion to norm?

Others might say that we're placing too much emphasis on a small sample size. The Sox may well turn it around. Or not. If I were betting, I'd go for "or not."

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Kimbrel just lowered his price from $100M to about $39-$50M for 3 years. I think the Red Sox should look at this and restart negotiations.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Redsox just DFAed Swihart. Sandy León returns as catcher.

That didn’t take long.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Redsox just DFAed Swihart. Sandy León returns as catcher.

That didn’t take long.
Good to see Leon back. Hopefully the Sox start winning some.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:42 PM

Every time the Red Sox look like they've turned the corner they lose. At least the pitching has improved.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm enjoying the Cardinals being the best team in the NL. We're winning tonight, won 3 straight and eight out of the last 10.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I'm enjoying the Cardinals being the best team in the NL. We're winning tonight, won 3 straight and eight out of the last 10.
Cards have lost 3 in a row and the Cubs have won 6 in a row. Looks like a tight division.

Red Sox are finally putting it together. They've won 7 of 10.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cards have lost 3 in a row and the Cubs have won 6 in a row.
I know... I hate it. They gotta get some more bats going.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:52 PM

That's the issue with the NL Central. It's a VERY tough division. The Pirates won 98 games one year and were lucky to make the wild card game - which they lost.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
That's the issue with the NL Central. It's a VERY tough division. The Pirates won 98 games one year and were lucky to make the wild card game - which they lost.
You ever think that if weather wasn't an issue there would be more teams that make the playoffs? Like the other sports?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Redsox now at .500. Suddenly, they look like a baseball team.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
You ever think that if weather wasn't an issue there would be more teams that make the playoffs? Like the other sports?
Baseball players are soft but in summertime the only weather I’d be worried about are tornadoes in the Midwest, otherwise the only issue I could justify is all the consecutive games, lack of depth due to injuries incurred running the bases, travel and time change.

By the way, St Louis is shellacking the Buccos at the moment. You’re welcome. I’ve tuned out and hope that nobody else on the Pirates revolving bullpen is put on the IL for having an injured ego. The truth is our outfield is horrible. Unfortunately, Palonco has a hot bat right now.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Redsox now at .500. Suddenly, they look like a baseball team.
Red Sox are playing much better now, hitting and pitching. I hope that the divided White House visit doesn't impact the clubhouse dynamics.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Red Sox just took 3 of 4 in Toronto and the Yankees clobbered the Orioles. The American League East is starting to take shape.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
True, Dru, but it gets tiresome when your team is never in the race because they can't spend the same as the bigger franchises. I'm so tired of seeing the same 8 teams in it year after year and "small markets" trying to justify working on their farm systems and producing prospects that either fail to fully develop or move on for that big ridiculous contract in a different time zone out west.

I'd love to support the Pirates but the ownership simply has no passion for the game and make excuses year after year. Yes, I feel the players are spoiled but from a different perspective I think they get jaded by being treated like living breathing trading cards every July or off season.

As much as it pains me, I may have to root for the Phillies this year. I'm originally from northeastern PA so I used to root for either them or the Yankees when Reggie Jackson and Pete Rose were still playing. This time it would only be because ex-Pirate Andrew McCutchen is signed to the Phillies for 3 years - even though he's past his prime.

I can't in good conscience spend any more money on the cartel at PNC Park though. They've squandered what little good faith they amassed in 2013. Their payroll has dropped to $59M but ticket prices are still up. It's sickening.
Well, the Indians are in a "small market" and they have done pretty well over the last few years. This year, the Twins are killing it and they aren't a "big market" team either. Money doesn't equate to winning in baseball. Until the Yankees went back to developing their own talent, all the spending they did got them diddly-squat. It sounds like you have just lost your zeal for pro sports. It's entertainment...nothing more. If you invest more than that in it, you're in for a letdown.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic