The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson "Parlors" (J-200 Parlor, Parlor AGs, HP665, J-165)

Over the past few years, I've been trying to find the body size and scale length that fits my situation.

What started it all was the GS Mini, and still to this day it is the most comfortable guitar that I've played in terms of size, but the scale length was a tad short at 23.5". Some true Parlors were too small in the body.

I settled on Taylor GCs due to the fact that I've always had good luck with playability and I've been around Taylors my whole life.

However, I think my ideal guitar would be a bit smaller in lower bout and a little shorter scale length (somewhere between 24-24.75"). I stumbled on the Gibson Parlors the other day and have been obsessively researching them. Information is hard to come by but it seems the sizing is a tad bigger the GS Mini paired with a 24.75" scale length and slightly narrower nut at 1.725".

Anyone familiar with these?
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 PM

Well, I've got a new maple "J-200 parlor" coming tomorrow from CME. AFAIK, it's a maple 165 with some J-200 bling.

I expect to like mine a lot; good luck with your quest!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 PM

I've recently got a 2006 J165 with Rosewood b&s, beautiful guitar and very balanced tone wise. My brother has a GS Mini which is nice but I wouldn't compare the two guitars they are from different worlds...

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Well, I've got a new maple "J-200 parlor" coming tomorrow from CME. AFAIK, it's a maple 165 with some J-200 bling.

It's definitely a beautiful instrument, but it's a little over the top for me in terms of adornments. I could do without that inlayed pickguard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTroppo View Post
I've recently got a 2006 J165 with Rosewood b&s, beautiful guitar and very balanced tone wise. My brother has a GS Mini which is nice but I wouldn't compare the two guitars they are from different worlds...
Of course, I was only comparing the two in terms of body size. Tell me more about the J165! I'm going to try one of the new Parlour AGs when I get a chance, mostly to test the body size, but if I wanted to buy I'd prefer to buy a full wood instrument.

Unfortunately, Gibson seems to be using Richlite for the fingerboards now.
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
Of course, I was only comparing the two in terms of body size. Tell me more about the J165! I'm going to try one of the new Parlour AGs when I get a chance, mostly to test the body size, but if I wanted to buy I'd prefer to buy a full wood instrument.

Unfortunately, Gibson seems to be using Richlite for the fingerboards now.
The 165 is lovely, I have been playing mostly old Doc Watson fingerstyle tunes on it so far and I have been loving it. Yesterday she went into open D and open E tunings and I can say that she handles open tunings beautifully.

The guitar came to me set up with very low action, which works nicely for the fingerstyle but when I get the flatpick out there is too much string buzz for my liking, especially when I dig in. But since I have a few dreads as well I can always use one of those for the more aggressive flatpicking...

Anything specific you'd like to know just let me know

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTroppo View Post
The 165 is lovely, I have been playing mostly old Doc Watson fingerstyle tunes on it so far and I have been loving it. Yesterday she went into open D and open E tunings and I can say that she handles open tunings beautifully.

The guitar came to me set up with very low action, which works nicely for the fingerstyle but when I get the flatpick out there is too much string buzz for my liking, especially when I dig in. But since I have a few dreads as well I can always use one of those for the more aggressive flatpicking...

Anything specific you'd like to know just let me know
Very nice, I'm strictly a fingerstyle player.

Since you have a GS Mini in your household too, do you think you could snap photos of the two side by side?

Also, if it's not too much could you provide me the following measurements:

Total length
Body length
Body depth
Upper bout
Waist
Lower bout

Thank you in advance if you're able to help me out!
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2018 AG that's a sweetie. I currently have her up for sale, but am considering keeping her because she's so comfortable to sit with and play. She's not designed for hard strumming or flat-picking (I have other guitars for that), but for finger-picking she may be one of the sweetest instruments I've ever had.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Please let us know. Is the blonde one?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Please let us know. Is the blonde one?
It is, and I updated my zombie thread from January for its arrival. Great guitar!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is, and I updated my zombie thread from January for its arrival. Great guitar!
It's basically the same as their new Parlor AGs and J-165 yes? Do you mind measuring some dimensions for me?
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM

I am just using a measuring tape on my J-200 parlor here, so forgive me for not being completely precise:

Total length: 39"
Body length: 18"
Body depth: 4 1/2"
Upper bout: 10 1/2"
Waist: 9"
Lower bout: 15"

Hope that helps...
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I am just using a measuring tape on my J-200 parlor here, so forgive me for not being completely precise:

Total length: 39"
Body length: 18"
Body depth: 4 1/2"
Upper bout: 10 1/2"
Waist: 9"
Lower bout: 15"

Hope that helps...
Awesome, thank you! It's a little bit smaller than my Taylor GCs in a few dimensions, and slightly bigger than the GS Mini. Definitely gonna try one for the slightly smaller scale length.

I'd be interested in the J-200 Parlor if it didn't have that ridiculous (IMO) pickguard. If I took it off I'd be scared of a tan line that'd never go away.
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thank you! It's a little bit smaller than my Taylor GCs in a few dimensions, and slightly bigger than the GS Mini. Definitely gonna try one for the slightly smaller scale length.

I'd be interested in the J-200 Parlor if it didn't have that ridiculous (IMO) pickguard. If I took it off I'd be scared of a tan line that'd never go away.
I also have a GS mini in koa and it is an unbelievable guitar in its own right.

The J-200 parlor packs the punch of the full-sized J-200 into a much smaller guitar. I would never believe it unless I played and heard it myself. Personally, I love the iconic pickguard, but I get it. I would really suggest you try to play one if you have the chance. It's really remarkable.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I also have a GS mini in koa and it is an unbelievable guitar in its own right.

The J-200 parlor packs the punch of the full-sized J-200 into a much smaller guitar. I would never believe it unless I played and heard it myself. Personally, I love the iconic pickguard, but I get it. I would really suggest you try to play one if you have the chance. It's really remarkable.
You mind snapping a few photos of the two side by side whenever you get a chance?

I'm going to try and make it down to a shop next week that has the new Parlor AGs. I believe they are the same size as the J-200 Parlor.
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
You mind snapping a few photos of the two side by side whenever you get a chance?

I'm going to try and make it down to a shop next week that has the new Parlor AGs. I believe they are the same size as the J-200 Parlor.
Would be happy to but my mini is in my office on campus and I may not be back there until next week.

I think the Parlor AG and the J-200 Parlor are very different guitars, at least based on videos I've watched. I've never played an AG, though, so this is just conjecture on my part. Hopefully the AG suits you well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion