The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
But there are issues everywhere. I grew up in Michigan (tornadoes, winters, and mosquitoes). Living in NorCal years ago it was drought, fire seasons, El Nino flood years, and TRAFFIC. Alaska was long winters and three hours to Seattle - essentially turning every trip into an all day international flight, plus REAL earthquakes. I turned down a plum job in Hawaii years ago because it was just too expensive - the islands made the Bay Area look positively affordable.

It's always a balance of the things you can tolerate versus the things you cannot.
Yes. I survived a couple of Midwestern tornadoes in my youth (Indiana and Kansas), a hurricane (Northern Florida) and have lived through a major earthquake and a couple of fires here in Northern California. The good thing is that you can find great guitars pretty much everywhere no matter what the disasters! A couple of my guitars made it through all those and were only felled by Delta Airlines and FedEx - human-made disasters!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if he's bringing all those "Monkeys" that he uses to process his orders with him?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 AM

Not sure of the reasons, but dang happy for the moving sale! I scored my Larrivée at an unbelievable price! I wish John all the best wherever he lands and whatever he does. He is class all the way.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Anyone know how to get up with John at Shoreline Music? I've emailed and called several times over the past week-and-a-half with no response. Not just a general inquiry, need to talk business.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Anyone heard anything about what's next for John and Shoreline? Haven't heard anything out of Durango for quite some time. I trust all is well and am looking forward to hearing where he winds up.

Austin
Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Anyone heard anything about what's next for John and Shoreline? Haven't heard anything out of Durango for quite some time. I trust all is well and am looking forward to hearing where he winds up.

Austin
I am replying not because of shoreline music (which I hope hasn't closed for good they are one of the oldest guitar shops online afaik) but because I notice from your sig line that you own a brunner outdoor guitar of 2010 vintage. I also own a slightly older one and afaik I haven't seen too many brunner owners on agf so it was nice to find another one.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I am replying not because of shoreline music (which I hope hasn't closed for good they are one of the oldest guitar shops online afaik) but because I notice from your sig line that you own a brunner outdoor guitar of 2010 vintage. I also own a slightly older one and afaik I haven't seen too many brunner owners on agf so it was nice to find another one.
I actually picked mine up from a fellow forumite almost a year and a half ago, but have admired the OG since Lukas first started making them. My model is the basic version, which was made in Vietnam for a period of time. Fantastic tone and decent volume for a small guitar with laminate back and sides. I travel by air quite frequently for work, sometimes for a couple weeks at a pop, and I've found the combination of form factor, playability, and tone hard to beat. Here's a poorly lit picture of mine from my last trip to Bogota. Hope you've enjoyed yours just as much as I have mine!

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 08-23-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Austin
I thought I saw a post or two from him a while back that he was moving his shop to Washington (state). Not sure how long the moving process takes, or if what I remember is actually true, though.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Last time Shoreline Music was online here was July 7th. Take from that information what you will.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Gotta love John and Shoreline Music. He is super nice to work with and I love what they carry. John mentioned in his newsletter that I'm subscribed to that he has moved the store multiple times over the years they've been in business and that one lesson he learned is not to carry inventory over. He liquidated everything he could.

I would imagine that the move, getting the storefront ready, and replenishing all that stock will take time. I'm sure he'll chime in here once they are settled in some and my impression is that they are not planning on shutting down.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Look forward to seeing where they end up. I'm so happy with my Northwood. Was never on the radar till I saw their videos of them.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Gotta love John and Shoreline Music. He is super nice to work with and I love what they carry. John mentioned in his newsletter that I'm subscribed to that he has moved the store multiple times over the years they've been in business and that one lesson he learned is not to carry inventory over. He liquidated everything he could.

I would imagine that the move, getting the storefront ready, and replenishing all that stock will take time. I'm sure he'll chime in here once they are settled in some and my impression is that they are not planning on shutting down.
No doubt that he's likely got his hands full! Wish I could liquidate the junk in my garage with a quarter of the expediency with which he moved his inventory.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Mine is the version that was made personally by Lukas in Switzerland and I also bought mine from an AGF member though I got mine about 10 years ago. Enjoy playing your OG in good health!

Quote:
I actually picked mine up from a fellow forumite almost a year and a half ago, but have admired the OG since Lukas first started making them. My model is the basic version, which was made in Vietnam for a period of time. Fantastic tone and decent volume for a small guitar with laminate back and sides. I travel by air quite frequently for work, sometimes for a couple weeks at a pop, and I've found the combination of form factor, playability, and tone hard to beat. Here's a poorly lit picture of mine from my last trip to Bogota. Hope you've enjoyed yours just as much as I have mine!

Austin
Old 05-04-2021, 04:15 PM

Default any update re Shoreline re-opening?

I have googled the website a few times over the past couple years, continues to error out with "can't find webpage"...

Did Jon decide to close Shoreline? I got my strings from there for years...

Great family to work with, always leaving an encouraging note with the order.

thanks

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

He's got a couple of acoustic pickups for sale on Reverb....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion