The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2020, 05:06 PM

Default Setup question

I have a Takamine with a truss rod. I have it strung with 11-52s, except for the G, which is an unwound 17. That string will not tune up right. It either will sound right in open chords or will sound sharp when tuned to the lower pitch strings using harmonics & octaves. Looking for any ideas for correction. The rest of the strings tune just fine.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 PM

Default Some things to consider...

The G string you’re using has a considerably smaller diameter than a stand wound G.

This means that any compensation at the saddle will almost certainly be wrong for the unwound string you’re using.

In addition, the unwound string you’re using is the same as used for the B string in a typical medium gauge string set. That means it will have quite a low tension when tuned two tones down to G. Low string tensions can also cause the intonation issues you’re experiencing.

My advice would be to use a wound string. Not only will it almost certainly sound better, but it should improve intonation. If you’re set on an unwound G then you could try a string with a greater diameter and/or have a luthier or guitar tech see if they can improve intonation by adjusting the saddle compensation for that string. This will probably require a new saddle.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 AM

Why use a plain G string, it isn’t an electric.

The core of a wound G is actually very thin and is why compensated saddles adjust for the G and B strings relative to the otherwise straight edge. If you must have an unwound G then you will need a different saddle.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Default good info

Thanks for the replies. They confirm what I suspected. I originally went to an unwound G because I always seemed to be shredding the winding on that string. I had originally gone to a matched set with the unwound .17, but wasn't crazy about the sound. Seems that I either need to go back to that or just get used to changing my G between set changes with a matched set including wound G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
intonation, tuning