The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Default How to get CGCGCE with Spider Capo?

Does anyone on this forum know how to get open C tuning (CGCGCE) with the spider capo? I wouldn't mind if it was one step up because it beats out having to tune and retune the guitar. I also have a regular capo if I need to somehow combine the two to get the open tuning. Thank you so much!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 PM

Well, you are at the very least going to have to detune your bass E down to D. You also tune the B string up a semitone to C (just as you would anyway in Open C)

You can then obtain an Open C chord (although it will of course be a tone above, so that the actual pitch of the chord will be D), by setting the capo at the second fret with the cams pressing on the top three treble strings.

When you strum the chord it will sound DADADF#

You don't actually need a spider capo to do this, you can do it with a Shubb partial capo.

You will of course have to rethink all your Open C fingering and scales, but it will be an interesting exercise.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:30 PM

So you'd be capoing at the 8th fret to get the low C, sure restricts the amount of fretboard you have available. I'd be going with murrmac's suggestion.

I don't use alternate tunings, so please take my opinion with a whole pot of salt.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnugs View Post
Does anyone on this forum know how to get open C tuning (CGCGCE) with the spider capo? I wouldn't mind if it was one step up because it beats out having to tune and retune the guitar. I also have a regular capo if I need to somehow combine the two to get the open tuning. Thank you so much!
Well, without retuning you could leave the 1st and 6th strings alone, tuned to E. Capo the 5th string at the 3rd fret to get a C. Capo the 4th string at the 2nd fret for an E. Leave the 3rd string in G. Capo the 2nd string at the first fret, again to get a C. So there you have ECEGCE, with is an inversion of Open C with the 3rd in the bass unless you mute the 6th string.

Although only the great magnet knows why you would bother. Simpler to just retune. (I just leave a guitar tuned to Open C. Easier still)

TW
Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Humanist

You can't.

Regardless of where you locate the fret-points with this kind of device, the original tuning only exists in the unfretted notes across the fingerboard.

As soon as you start fretting notes, all the fingerings will change from where to get the proper notes as compared to the actual open tuning.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
capo, open, spider, tuning