The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 PM

Question Question for Epiphone Masterbilt Owners!

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of purchasing the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. After recently visiting my local Guitar Center, I found that I really loved the Masterbilt DR-500MCE, but did not like the Masterbilt AJ-45ME at all. I know that the AJ-500RCE has rosewood back and sides, which I prefer. However, I am unable to gain access to an AJ-500RCE before I purchase it.

If you own any of these guitars, can you please tell me how the AJ-500RCE compares to either the DR-500MCE or the AJ-45ME? Is the rosewood worth the extra $200? Thank you in advance!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfinchgaryen View Post
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of purchasing the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. After recently visiting my local Guitar Center, I found that I really loved the Masterbilt DR-500MCE, but did not like the Masterbilt AJ-45ME at all. I know that the AJ-500RCE has rosewood back and sides, which I prefer. However, I am unable to gain access to an AJ-500RCE before I purchase it.

If you own any of these guitars, can you please tell me how the AJ-500RCE compares to either the DR-500MCE or the AJ-45ME? Is the rosewood worth the extra $200? Thank you in advance!
AJ-500RCE/MCE is Epiphone's version of the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Similar to the J-45, but it's a long scale and the bracing is voiced accentuate highs and lows. AJ-45ME is Epiphone's version of the Gibson J-45. Like the J-45 it's a short scale, it's bracing design is based on the modern J-45, designed to accentuate the mids. DR-500MCE beats to it's own drum. A great guitar in its own right, but 100% Epiphone design and isn't inspired by any specific Gibson model.

I have my favorite and least favorite of the bunch, but the truth is any of these guitars will get you an all solid wood instrument with very good build quality for the money. The stock electronics are also pretty good making any of these guitars stage ready.

The question of "Is Rosewood worth the extra $300". Imagine you and I were in an ice creme parlor and you happen to be in line in front of me. You notice they have a new flavor "Cinnamon burst Turtle Explosion" and you notice it cost an extra $0.50 over the other flavors. So you turn back at me and ask "Have you tried the Cinnamon burst Turtle? Is it worth the extra fifty cents". I tell you "yeah, go for it". You get it to the table and take one bite and don't care for it. Then you get angry and come over to my table and say "I thought you said it was better, this is disgusting". I look at you and shrug not knowing what you expect me to say back.

Asking is Rosewood better than Mahogany on any specific guitar is the same thing. We're talking about tonal "flavors". There are dozens of respected professional players who prefer Mahagony over Rosewood and the reverse is also true.... One cost more only because the wood is a bit more rare. That does not make the tone it produces universally better anymore than chocolate is better than strawberry (although we all know that it is). That said, I love the sound of Rosewood on the AJ500RCE, so go for it! If anyone tells you "Rosewood sounds better" think of it like someone telling you in a matter-of-fact tone that chocolate is better than Strawberry ice cream. They may go on with boring technical jargon about how Rosewood produces a deeper tone, etc... Regardless of what they say it will lead back to their subjective opinion and what they are looking for in a guitar which is not something you should go by unless you know their music well.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-30-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 AM

Cam, I've played a number of Epiphone Masterbilt guitars, and have owned two, both with sapele backs and sides, the square-shouldered version and the slope-shouldered AJ-500MNA.

I gave the square-shouldered version to my daughter's boyfriend, as he was guitarless at the time, but have kept the AJ-500MNA. I've also compared it directly to the rosewood version of the same thing.

Truthfully, the AJ-500M models tend to be the best-sounding. There's a gentleman who posts on here who spent a few years rehabbing a number of those guitars, and his overview of them, with far more hands-on examples than I've had a chance to play, was that the so-called "mahogany" (actually sapele) Epiphone AJ's are the best-sounding overall.

A large part of that is that the rosewood examples all seem to have some tone-killing built-in electronics in them. Whatever pickup system was used definitely has a negative impact on the tone of those guitars.

If everything else was equal, I'd agree with Rmz on this, that rosewood is just another choice in tone colors, neither better nor worse than the "mahogany" version. But in practical terms, the rosewood version of these Masterbilt guitars seem to have all have those electronics in them, and that sucks quite a bit of tone out of them when played acoustically.

They don't sound all that great plugged in, either, frankly.

Normally I don't like sweeping statements like this, but it seems to be borne up by the examples of the guitars out there. So I would strongly recommend that you look for an AJ-500M without the factory electronics if a good acoustic tone is what you're seeking.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM

I have owned both the AJ500R and the DR500MCE, as well as an AJ500M.
I liked both AJ's more than the DR. My DR was OK sounding but nothing special. Both of my AJ's have more character to my ears.

As the AJ's tend to be older, I wonder if they were made in a different factory than the current DR's.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM

I used to buy and sell refurbs on Ebay and sold several MB's.

The MB dreads without electronics are far and away the best while the EF500's are all pretty consistently good (although I preferred the EF's without the electronics too).

What Wade has said is pretty accurate IMO. I always seemed to prefer the satin finished MB dreads over those with gloss tops or full gloss too.

The electronics are actually pretty good sounding but can be problematic. Oh, the built in tuner is all but useless too - very inaccurate.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-30-2016, 07:59 AM

Default Mb

I have the DR-500MCE. I love the tone and the sustain seems to go on forever. I have not had a chance to play the AJ-500RCE so I cannot speak to that.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 AM

Smile

I have played both the AJ-500M and the DR500MCE
I Have not played them plugged in, but acoustically the AJ just feels better. Feels more "wooden" to me... not sure if that has meaning to anyone else but they just have a nice organic feel to them and they also feel more like a handbill guitar. the DRs (I've played 3) Just feel like they were cracked out of a machine. Tonally, I think the AJ's have a more balanced sound and more punch.

I have a VERY early EF-500MVS Back before they settled into the cutaway version they have today. That early production Masterbuilt is SO solid and plays like a guitar two or three times its price range. I'll never part with it. If you can find one of those, even the Natural finish models, they play as loud and strong as any dread.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 AM

Good insights, Rytone. Thanks for reviving the thread.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Good morning,
Considering the substantial build, terrific electronics and hardware of the DR500mce I would think a rosewood verision would be terrific. I too am looking for a rosewood masterbilt edition. My DR500 gets beat up twice a week and after an initial neck bump between frets 13 and 17 was resolved by the boys at Raritan Bay Guitar Repair I haven’t had any other issues. Fast neck, stable tuning and the stereo outs are excellent for plugging in. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:23 AM

I love my Dr-500MNA. I've played many others and they were all on par with what I love about mine. I have not liked any of the CE versions with the cutaway and the electronics. If you are going to primarily play plugged in, the electronics sound quite nice and the blend allows room for shaping the tone, but acoustic sound suffers, IMO. Same with the AJ's I've played.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Cam, I've played a number of Epiphone Masterbilt guitars, and have owned two, both with sapele backs and sides, the square-shouldered version and the slope-shouldered AJ-500MNA.

I gave the square-shouldered version to my daughter's boyfriend, as he was guitarless at the time, but have kept the AJ-500MNA. I've also compared it directly to the rosewood version of the same thing.

Truthfully, the AJ-500M models tend to be the best-sounding. There's a gentleman who posts on here who spent a few years rehabbing a number of those guitars, and his overview of them, with far more hands-on examples than I've had a chance to play, was that the so-called "mahogany" (actually sapele) Epiphone AJ's are the best-sounding overall.

A large part of that is that the rosewood examples all seem to have some tone-killing built-in electronics in them. Whatever pickup system was used definitely has a negative impact on the tone of those guitars.

If everything else was equal, I'd agree with Rmz on this, that rosewood is just another choice in tone colors, neither better nor worse than the "mahogany" version. But in practical terms, the rosewood version of these Masterbilt guitars seem to have all have those electronics in them, and that sucks quite a bit of tone out of them when played acoustically.

Normally I don't like sweeping statements like this, but it seems to be borne up by the examples of the guitars out there. So I would strongly recommend that you look for an AJ-500M without the factory electronics if a good acoustic tone is what you're seeking.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Sir, I've just come across this 3-year-old post reply by you. This is the first time I've ever read that the back and sides of the AJ500M are made of sapele, not mahogany as stated on the Gibson site and just about everywhere else. How did you come across this information if I may ask? The 2006 AJ500MNS I recently bought sounds great, regardless of what wood makes up its back and sides. I'm so impressed with it I'm trying to find a similar Masterbilt (AJ or DR) with rosewood back and sides.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Sir, I've just come across this 3-year-old post reply by you. This is the first time I've ever read that the back and sides of the AJ500M are made of sapele, not mahogany as stated on the Gibson site and just about everywhere else. How did you come across this information if I may ask? The 2006 AJ500MNS I recently bought sounds great, regardless of what wood makes up its back and sides. I'm so impressed with it I'm trying to find a similar Masterbilt (AJ or DR) with rosewood back and sides.
I found this out years ago as well. I've heard different versions. There may have been a running change during production. I've also heard that some builders consider sapele and hog equal tonewoods. No aspersions on Gibson, as I don't know the inside scoop.

scott memmer
Old 11-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
This is very true - I came to the same conclusion on my own; the piezo tone is rubbish anyway and the guitar sounds a lot clearer without it. It was quite rubbery and I think it was stripping some if the high end off
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I found this out years ago as well. I've heard different versions. There may have been a running change during production. I've also heard that some builders consider sapele and hog equal tonewoods. No aspersions on Gibson, as I don't know the inside scoop.

scott memmer
Again this is the first time I've ever heard (well, read actually) of this. I know sapele is often being used as a substitute for mahogany because it looks and sound like mahogany but it costs less so if we are getting a sapele-equipped guitar Epiphone/Gibson should tell us. I really don't know although my Mitchell has laminated back and sides of sapele and the exterior sheath certainly looks different than the solid mahogany of my Masterbilt AJ500MSN and even the laminated outer sheath of my Alvarez AD 30.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 03:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Again this is the first time I've ever heard (well, read actually) of this. I know sapele is often being used as a substitute for mahogany because it looks and sound like mahogany but it costs less so if we are getting a sapele-equipped guitar Epiphone/Gibson should tell us. I really don't know although my Mitchell has laminated back and sides of sapele and the exterior sheath certainly looks different than the solid mahogany of my Masterbilt AJ500MSN and even the laminated outer sheath of my Alvarez AD 30.
Ralph, I'm not run, but clarify and echo what Wade is saying here, whatever wood they're using on the back and sides, the round-shouldered models are the pick of the litter. Nothing against the square models, which I'm sure are excellent too. But quite frankly, the older (now disco'd) EPI MB AJ models hold their own against much pricier Gibson flattops. I own three, and all three are amazing.

If one considers it for a moment, we must remember that Gibson themselves created and have been shipping round-shouldered jumbos etc. for close to 100 years. They have that shape dialed in. One of my AJ-500Ms is so loud that it literally turns head.

BTW, no to hijack or anything, but I've got an AJ-500ME that has a few dings that I'll be selling at a very good price. Please PM if interested. Just too busy to post in classifieds. I'm looking for local, here in L.A. Sorry for the intrusion.

My Eastmans are better, but they're twice the price used, and three times new.

Wade, thanks for your two cents.

Best,
Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
aj-45me, aj-500rce, dr-500mce, epiphone, masterbilt