The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Default Bridge Size, mass, and tone

Lately I've been lusting over Gibson's J-200 guitars, and own one of Epiphone's EJ-200CE models. I am curious what you guys think about the effect of the larger (and therefore heavier) bridge on these two guitars might be. I've noted that my Epiphone sounds, and seems kind of tight. But that probably has more to do with the fact that it's new, and the back and sides are laminated. I also think it's interesting that Gibson cuts out the two beautiful holes out of either side of the J-200's bridge. Could those be there for more than just decorative purposes??

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM

In general, you can think of the bridge as the heaviest, and nearly the stiffest, brace on the top. As such it changes the way the top vibrates, and changing bridges can certainly alter the tone. My experience is that, as with most single elements of the design, the bridge won't make or break the sound by itself unless it's really messed up. A bridge that goes all the way across the top (yes, I've seen that!) can really kill the sound, but in general the usual sorts of things only make a little bit of difference, and it can be hard to sort out what the contribution of the bridge by itself is.

The holes in the ends of the Gibson bridge are in emulation of the 'mustaches' on the bridges of early guitars and lutes. They do probably affect the sound, but are primarily decorative.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, bridge, epiphone, gibson, tone