The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 AM

Question Taylor 612ce or 712ce LTD

So basically I'm trying to decide between these 2 guitars. The price isn't really an issue, as I can get them for essentially the same. I really like the light color of the 612ce, but I feel as if the tone woods of the 712ce LTD (Madagascar) might suit me better. I decided to get a x12 because I liked the shape and feel of the guitar. I play guitar mostly for myself and friends. I generally just sit down on my coach, so it's not like I'm performing for a big audience. I like to play a combination of strumming and some fingerpicker. I also sing a little bit, so I'd like the guitar to be able to accompany a voice decently well. While I like the color of the 612ce maple back, I feel like the Madagascar rosewood might add some lower tones to it, allowing for the GC size guitar to be a little more versatile to accompany a voice and strumming. The 612ce, from what I understand, would be more geared towards solely fingerpicking because of its lighter tonewood, and GC size. What are your guys thoughts, which do you think will suit me better?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Have you played either of the guitars you are interested in directly? That would usually help in a decision.. Sometimes theres just an immediate connection with particular guitars..Or are you trying to pick from something you are seeing online?
I wouldn't let the "color" be a huge factor, although you should certainly like the looks of whatever you spend your money on..

Personally, I'd go with the 712 Madagascar Limited. More versatile all around sound, and a special tonewood that is long off the menu at Taylor, and will likely never be used by them again.. A standard 612 can always be had, if you really wanted one someday too!

Last edited by davwir; 06-11-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks got the input!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Default 612 or 712

It depends what sound you're looking for. I have a mid 90's 612C Custom and absolutely love it. Maple has a different sound that cuts through a mix if you're playing with a group.

But, even with Taylor, who seems to be more consistent sounding than other manufacturers (for two guitars of the same model that is ) I wouldn't make a final decision until I had the chance to play them side by side.

I wouldn't make the decision on looks. Play them both and pick the one that speaks to you.

Just my $0.02 worth.....
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
It depends what sound you're looking for. I have a mid 90's 612C Custom and absolutely love it. Maple has a different sound that cuts through a mix if you're playing with a group.

But, even with Taylor, who seems to be more consistent sounding than other manufacturers (for two guitars of the same model that is ) I wouldn't make a final decision until I had the chance to play them side by side.

I wouldn't make the decision on looks. Play them both and pick the one that speaks to you.

Just my $0.02 worth.....
Yeah I've played both of them in different scenarios. I came to this overall decision because I liked the size of the GC and I liked the tone of both of the guitars. Where I live it's hard to get a hold of the guitars simultaneously to play them side by side. Im just wondering if the 712ce with Madagascar rosewood would handle strumming and accompany a voice better than the 612ce.

I don't plan on being mic'd up or anything. I'll mainly be playing casually on a couch or maybe a bench in a park for myself or at times for some friends.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Default 612 v 712

Looking at the specs side by side they appear to be very similar other than the Maple vs Rosewood. There are some finish differences, gold vs silver tuners, natural vs sunburst, satin vs gloss neck, etc, etc.

I will tell you that, even though the maple gives it an edge that will stand out in a group, the smaller body style doesn't have the volume that a larger bodied guitar will have. But you say that you're going to be mostly at home or with friends, presumably in a small group so you should be OK. Also, since you're looking at the x12CE's you'll have the option of amping it if you want.

The rosewood would probably have a bit fuller sound. What was your preference having played them both ( although I know it's hard to compare when you play them on different days in different locations) ?

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/612ce

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/712ce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
612ce, 712ce ltd, madagascar, maple, taylor