The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2012, 04:27 PM

Default The Gambler? First guitar: purchased long distance

I'm a raw newbie (age 53), haven't taken a single lesson but after doing my research decided that I wanted a Seagull S6 for my first guitar and was mulling the new vs used thing when I saw a Seagull "20th Anniversary" Spruce and Maple for sale on Denver's CL for $250 with a hard case. Did some Googling on it and when a coworker who plays saw it he said "You want that". (He has a Spruce S6 himself and loves it).

Unfortunately, Denver is 5 hours from me and I was at work on Friday when I saw it. I have a good friend in Greeley who was willing to do the face-to-face, but couldn't get there until this afternoon. I emailed the seller and let him know my story and how I would be honored to give his guitar a good home, if he would put me at the front of the line (in case anybody else called). Gave him my cell number so he would know I was for real and he called and we chatted. He's in a folk group and has a gig tonight, so it may have some miles on it. He said in the ad that it had new frets and no electronics, but the button hole was reamed to make installation of one easy (so I won't have to buy a tool when that time comes, eh?)

Well, I just got the confirmation from my buddy that he got the guitar and says that it is gorgeous. Unknown to me, he has also been flirting with the idea of learning and I think this has probably pushed him over the edge. He's threatening that mine will never see the State of Nebraska.

I'm guessing that I will need to put on some lightweight strings for my virgin fingers. I may take it to a guitar guru in Cairo, NE to have it set up for me, but I will probably have my guitar playing coworker give it a look over first to see if it really needs it. Problem is, work is on holiday shutdown until Jan. 2nd (not that this a huge problem ). I'm hoping to get out to Greeley on New Year's Eve to pick it up. It is going to be hard waiting until then!

I did enough Googling about Seagulls (and the 20th Anniversary) that I really didn't think I was taking much of a risk buying it sight unseen at $250. What say you?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I wish you well on your new adventure in learning the guitar.

And third, regarding the Seagull S6, I think you will find that you did the right thing!

- Glenn
Old 12-22-2012, 04:34 PM

Another in the Seagull camp! I hope you love it. I've only played one, but was impressed. I basically have the solid-wood version.

Congrats and post pics when you get it!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Though I don't own a Seagull, the ones I have played in stores seemed like pretty good deals-- quality guitars at a value price. You've likely purchased a better guitar than the vast majority of beginners play. Congratulations!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks guys, I will take some good pics when I get it in my hands but here are the crappy small Craigslist photos that I made the purchase from:

Most Seagulls are matte/semi-gloss, but the 20th Anniversary was High Gloss. The maple is said to make it sound brighter than the mahogany (hope that's a good thing). Told you I was a newbie!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygeek View Post
The maple is said to make it sound brighter than the mahogany (hope that's a good thing). Told you I was a newbie!
Lovely color!

Bright guitars will sound good to you if that's what you like. Taylor makes excellent guitars that sound too bright to some people, and they won't touch them. You'll decide what sounds good to your ear over time. And string choice and the thickness/material of the pick you use affect the tone as well.

In the meantime, you'll have a great guitar for as long as you want it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Cheeky - Welcome to the AGF. I'm sure that time will show that your $250 is well spent. It's great that you have a guitar playing friend who can look it over. Nothing wrong with Light strings. Enjoy!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Default you have a winner -- great choice

Just let your co-worker check it out (for string height / fret buzz) once you have it in hand. He or she will need to play all the way up the neck.
Unless this guitar has been kept in a sub-optimal environment, it's a good bet that it won't need any set-up work.

If that's the case, your only hardware decision for now is a brand new set of strings. A good shop should be able to make suggestions. (I personally would not patronize a brick & mortar selling only one string brand. But that's me; and I am so picky that I often can't get the strings I want except online.)

As you already know, lights may be easier for a beginner. However, your fingers with proper practice will toughen quickly. You might find you much prefer mediums on an S6. All ears are a bit different.

WHATEVER you do, please go with what works for you. If you don't like something, you won't learn as well.

Welcome to the fold. May there be many, many years of wonderful music in your future.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Default Big Seagull Fan

I have played/owned several Seagulls esp. the S6. I think you made a good decision. I have played one of the 20th anniversary models, it was nice. I went back to buy it and it was gone. Enjoy.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi cg -

Welcome / congrats / nice score / enjoy!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM

A very good idea to start out with a quality instrument that is also affordable. Nice catch!

Ray
Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Godin Guitars (Seagull ) makes very nice affordable guitars that are very durable with a very nice sound -nice choice for a first guitar ! so you did good and 250 for a decent guitar is great !
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM

Driving out to Greeley tonight, so my first guitar will be in my hands tonight! Whoo-hoo!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Congrats from another new old-timer!

You got a great guitar at a great price. Enjoy!

Ummm ... your fingers probably won't enjoy it at first. This, however, shall pass.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygeek View Post
Driving out to Greeley tonight, so my first guitar will be in my hands tonight! Whoo-hoo!
Woot! Post pictures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
20th, anniversary, maple, seagull, spruce