The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
Carving the neck. I'm thinking of printing and framing this. It illustrates the wonderful handiwork that can be seen and heard, hopefully for many decades to come, in all the music that will be played on this beautiful instrument!
Great photo to frame for your music room. I was struck by the wear and experience in Ed's hands - and how your guitar will benefit from the knowledge and learning they have gained in building so many amazing instruments.

Love the maple Malabar look, well done. First heard of this model a few years back, in a gorgeous maple instrument owned by AGF'er Thin Crust. Yours looks to be stunning, and the unlikely story behind it makes it even more special. Will look forward to your soundclip(s) after you receive this beauty!
Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update on your beautiful Malabar. Hear, hear on the non-glossy finish ! Keep those pictures coming, they illustrate your lovely story so well !
Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Initially thought the top was already finished when looking at the picture, quite the statement for some already impeccable work.

Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:18 AM

Default Continuation

Hi again! Time to update the thread.

Ed worked on another guitar while waiting for the tuners to arrive, but being housebound because of the pandemic, has made progress with the finishing touches on my guitar as well. The biggest decision we still had to make was the type of the finish. For a while now, Ed had been experimenting with a couple of new finish types involving different kinds of varnishes and lacquers, but wasn't totally happy with the results. Ed was kind to send me samples of maple finished with four different finish options, but the package was lost in the mail and never made it to Finland.

With the tuners arriving, we had to make an intuitive decision on the finish, and we chose the one that Ed likes the most -- shellac based spirit varnish. Ed has honed his varnish recipe over the years, and the results are absolutely beautiful. The process, if I've understood correctly, involves multiple thin coats of shellac and a couple of selected wood resins dissolved in alcohol, hand-applied with a rubbing pad. The result is glossy, but has a kind of "organic" look to it, not ultra-reflective like modern high-gloss finishes. Ed believes it is the best kind of finish to make the wood's natural grain really pop.

The guitar just before final sanding, front view:

Back:

Ed saved some Monarch butterfly caterpillars from being eaten by birds and brought them to his workshop. Here's a butterfly on the back of the guitar:

The Rodgers tuners just arrived at Ed's shop. I like the low profile pips, which a couple of people here suggested -- thanks for that! The buttons are Macassar ebony, which is quite close in appearance to the Brazilian rosewood veneers on the guitar's headstock. Rodgers doesn't work with CITES-listed materials. The buttons' finish is very glossy, and we'll have to see whether it looks good with the completed guitar. If not, there might be ways to reduce the gloss.

The guitar in Ed's "tanning booth" -- to the best of my understanding there is a strong electric current in the bottom turning oxygen to ozone, which gives the maple a natural amber tone.

The next photos might very well be of the finished guitar! Excitement is in the air.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Wow--looks absolutely amazing!

And a cool pic with the butterfly--perhaps Monarch is a fitting guitar name?!

Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar--it is stunning!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM

THIS, is an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing your good fortune with us. I've never had my hands or eyes directly on a Claxton, but I'm hungry to do so now!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:58 AM

The Rodgers tuners are out of this world! Beautiful engraving.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 AM

This guitar is gonna be so amazing! A 12 fret Claxton with Euro & Maple, Brazilian bridge and fingerboard with Rodgers tuners, you guys have got everything spot on mate!
Old 06-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
And a cool pic with the butterfly--perhaps Monarch is a fitting guitar name?!
That would be a great guitar name indeed! My guitar is already due to be named after a recently passed friend of mine, but this would definitely be my second option.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

repeating myself, but perfectly understated elegance.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Might have missed it in the thread, but aren't the Malabars 13 frets in the original design?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Hi, Janne!

You already know how excited I am for you, especially now that your build is reaching the home stretch. And while the butterfly picture says so much about Ed, it's the heelcap that grabbed my attention first. Discreet elegance to the nth degree!!

You chose the right builder, man. He's clearly put all his skill and JOY into your guitar.

I hope you and your family are well. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Might have missed it in the thread, but aren't the Malabars 13 frets in the original design?
Thanks for the comments! The Malabar is available with 12 or 13 frets, I don't know if either is the initial design. Ed himself seems to prefer the 12-fret version though, at least with maple. I think I might have chosen 13 frets with rosewood back and sides. I have a 12-fret Grand Concert -sized guitar with BRW (Blanchard Sugar Pine), and while it sounds huge and spectacular when played live, due to the tonal complexity I've always found it hard to record and cut through the mix with other instruments. And I'm more of a jam player than a soloist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hi, Janne!

You already know how excited I am for you, especially now that your build is reaching the home stretch. And while the butterfly picture says so much about Ed, it's the heelcap that grabbed my attention first. Discreet elegance to the nth degree!!

You chose the right builder, man. He's clearly put all his skill and JOY into your guitar.

I hope you and your family are well. Keep the pictures coming!
Marc, thank you. We are well, I hope you are too!

"Discreet elegance" is a perfect way to describe Ed's guitars' aesthetics. I'll post more pictures when they arrive. And sound clips too, when the time is right.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Just curious if your build is complete. Would love to see final photos and hear your initial impressions.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Smile Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Just curious if your build is complete. Would love to see final photos and hear your initial impressions.
I second the motion!
This is SO BEAUTIFUL
Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
claxton, custom build, malabar, maple