The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Is this Ephiphone?

Hi,
recently I was able to buy a guitar that sounds beautiful and is very comfortable. Of course, I thought it was "Epiphone", but when I started looking for this model in catalogs and networks, I couldn't find it anywhere ...
The guitar has no serial numbers or any labels stuck in the soundboard.
When I started looking for similar copies of Gibson Dove, I found a lot of Japanese guitars that are very similar (from the 1960s and 1970s).
If you can confirm my suspicions - write what you think about this "Epiphone Dove"

Last edited by meser; 12-16-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 AM

Based on the bridge it is not an Epiphone. Gibson themselves only used that tune-o-matic bridge up to 1969 and as far as I know never on an Epi. I cannot think of any builder other than Gibson which used that particular bridge setup on an acoustic. Then again, I am not even close to an expert on offshore built guitars. A photo of the headstock would have been helpful.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Epiphone did produce a licensed version of the Dove from 1998 onwards. I have found it in catalogs from both 2002 and 2006.

This may be an Epi with a replacement pickguard and the addition of the tune-o-magic bridge in place of the original saddle. However, from your photos there are a couple of things that don’t look quite right regarding the headstock shape, finish and lack of inlay! But, I could easily be wrong on those as I’m just going by the mediocre catalog images I’ve seen. If it’s a fake, why wouldn’t the perpetrator have not gone for broke and labelled it Gibson on the headstock?

Sorry I can’t be of more assistance.

Last edited by NotALuth; 10-16-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Minor mod to description
Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 AM

I spied this Epiphone "Dove Pro" the other day at GC. Would this be what you're referring to - with maybe some mods?.. (Although the headstock in your pics would definitely be hard to "mod"...)

Old 10-16-2019, 01:15 PM

Not a Gibson or Epiphone... A Chiphaphone.... Chinese fake. But it could still be a decent sounding guitar. I had a fake Gibson j200 in my shop once. The fakery was bad to the point of ridiculous, but it played and sounded pretty good. At least as good as any Epi SJ200 and nearly as good as some Gibsons I've played or worked on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dove guitar, epiphone, japanese acoustic guitar