The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 03:42 AM

Thumbs up Old Martin vs Young Gibson

Hi gents, so the Larrivee LV 09 that i've just purchased will be getting a new owner and I will continue toward the illusive dream guitar.
So i've already started negotiations for a 1991 HD28 P and 2016 Gibson Songwriter Delux and I think $1700 is a decent price.

I'm partial to the Martin but the Gibson is pretty sweet. A completely different tone to martin. The Gibson i can actually play, the Martin will be bought online. The Martin also will require some work on the neck. The previous owner decided to remove the gloss on the neck...

Both are premium guitars but does the 25 year difference in the guitars manufacturing play a role. Has the luthier techniques and bindings that have been brought into guitar making improved the overall product. As an example, i've looked at 1997 Taylor 812 c and the white binding just put me off for such an premium instrument.

Anyway, what are your thoughts. Old or New?
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Just a nod to the wise. I suspect that a Martin with a "P" suffix has a very shallow neck profile, (like an electric).
Old 07-26-2019, 04:48 AM

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The Gibson Songwriter is where you can play it in advance. If you like it, buy that one.

whm
Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 AM

I have bought a number of premium guitars online and have not yet been disappointed.
I have also now confirmed from a luthier that the Martin neck can be restored so that does sway me towards the Martin more
Old 07-26-2019, 05:33 AM

Always play an acoustic guitar before buying, or up you're upping your disappointment risk factor.

The Martin has been altered and it's value lowered. I can't see the upside to the Martin at this point.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 AM

Gloss removed from the neck? I wouldn't pay half book value of an excellent example for that. I'm not afraid to buy unplayed but id better get it at a price where id i don't like it i can flip it and not lose money, including fees.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The Gibson Songwriter is where you can play it in advance. If you like it, buy that one.

whm

Ditto. See my recent story on another thread. Bought a Martin sight unseen to do a friend a favor, and the neck had to be reset to play it. Luthier did good job and I am happy now, but would recommend play before you buy
Whvick
Old 07-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Always play an acoustic guitar before buying, or up you're upping your disappointment risk factor.

The Martin has been altered and it's value lowered. I can't see the upside to the Martin at this point.
Valid point. My biases might be leading me astray
Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivoges View Post
Has the luthier techniques and bindings that have been brought into guitar making improved the overall product.
No, there will be almost no difference in the building techniques of a Martin D-28 built in the past say 30 years. I'm sure some things have changed at the factory but overall, it will be functionally the same guitar. 1991 is still pretty modern as far as acoustic guitars go and Martin is a very traditional companies.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Sound advice here. This approach gives the guitar itself a bit of voice in the decision.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 AM

Nothing you have mentioned, including the LV-09, sounds or plays remotely similar. Are you just fishing and trying anything out there? I would advise going to a couple of stores and trying to find something you really like.

If I recall, both the Martin and Gibson have the "dreaded" white binding.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me that you'd be paying retail for the Gibson and wholesale for the Martin, and I don't see how someone taking the shine off of the neck on the Martin is altering the neck. They probably took 3 or 4 swipes with some 0000 steel wool.

It also looks to me like you'd rather have a Martin. Where did you find the martin? Reverb? GC online? With them, you have some protection. If it was me, I'd do a lot of checking on the guitar I prefer before I settled on another guitar that's ''pretty sweet''.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 AM

From what I'm reading, I would get the Gibson.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

The gloss removed from the neck is actually a plus for me. Gloss necks are sticky. A neck roughed out to a satin finish is something I'd happily play and not something I'd say needs work (unless they did a poor job removing it)...what are you going to do, refinish the neck in gloss? But, knowing this modification damages resale value I'd make sure I was paying an appropriate price--which should be easy, considering the gloss has already been removed and therefore the price already lowered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d28 hd28, gibson, martim, songwriter