The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Like the OP, I came into the world of guitars knowing only D's and big gibsons, that you generally see in the hands of touring musicians. I thought smaller bodied guitars were for kids or something, so I definitely get the "odd" take from the OP.

Come to find out, I much prefer OM and smaller guitars to anything larger with the 000 being my personal favorite. Since the advent of amplification, I think most arguments about guitar volume fall on their face unless you are playing an acoustic show like traditional bluegrass or something.

As others have also mentioned, loud is a uncertain term. Loud for who? The player? The audience? How does the guitar project? Cut through? Etc.

I would suggest getting out there and playing everything you can. The new Martin 00-18's are fantastic. The CEO-7 in fantastic. People love the 00-18v and the 00-DB Jeff Tweedy. I am looking to get my hands on the 0017s personally. I would love to add a vintage 17 series to my collection at some point.

Get your hands on some and see if they work for you and your playing style. I personally play with a thumbpick mostly and love the balance and articulation you get from smaller guitars. Plus they are objectively more comfortable and subjectively look so much better than a D....
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 07-18-2019, 11:39 AM

OP's mind gonna be blown when he sees a little Martin or Baby Taylor.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I am looking to get my hands on the 0017s personally. I would love to add a vintage 17 series to my collection at some point.
I'm with you on the 0017s. They're fairly affordable for a vintage Martin and I've considered jumping into that area myself.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm with you on the 0017s. They're fairly affordable for a vintage Martin and I've considered jumping into that area myself.
They're amazing guitars. I've had a lot of great guitars but my 00-17 is the one I will never get rid of and would grab first in a fire (or earthquake I guess).
Old 07-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinaylor View Post
I don't think they're odd objectively - I just simply haven't seen any in my 20 years of gigging/playing until I saw one on the internet the other day. I find them odd because I had never seen anyone use such a small guitar before.
A musician called Bob Dylan was known to play one.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

I have a 2018 reimagined 00 28 that I simply can't put down. It has plenty of depth of tone. It's very responsive and is so comfortable to play that I have to force myself to put it away at the end of the day.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

In this day and age I find dreadnaught guitars to be the odd ones. With all the sound reinforcement, quality pick-ups and modelers why would anyone fight the dread bass and boominess ? Add in the size and it doesn't make allot of sense.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis View Post
OP's mind gonna be blown when he sees a little Martin or Baby Taylor.
lol

Literally....lol

Well said
Old 07-18-2019, 02:59 PM

A 00-42 is a sight to behold.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Ian Anderson

I believe he played first prewar 0 -16īs and then some 60īs 0-42 and at least to me proved, that small guitar in rock setting can cut through better than bigger bodies.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinaylor View Post
Anybody have experience with these? Not planning on getting one, but they just seem so odd to me, and I'm pleasantly intrigued. In what type of music would such guitars "shine" in?
I've both a '57 00-18 and a '64 00-21, and several others of similar size including deep bodied models and a resonator. I find them far better balanced bass to treble than larger guitars, particularly Dreadnoughts, most of which I find a bit tubby. (and uncomfortable) Generally I find they have a dynamic range that is more responsive. They can be played with just about any style, including Country Blues and Ragtime, Old Time, Country, Folk, Singer-Songwriter, Alt, Rock, Jazz and just about anything else. About the only problem is when playing acoustically with a number of other instruments, like a Bluegrass jam. Then there might be headroom issues.

I love 00s.

Last edited by Mycroft; 07-18-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM

I’ve had my share of dreadnaughts; smaller-bodied guitars are just more responsive and fun for me. My 1930 0-21 is truly special guitar that proves what they say about Martin’s Golden Age small bodies every time I pick it up.

Last edited by WordMan; 07-18-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM

I have a Martin size 2 (style 28) that is the most comfortable guitar I have, and it is an incredibly good sounding guitar. It is not loud, but holds its own. It is an intimate guitar that I always want to pick up and play, even if I am tired at the end of a long day. I would love to get a Martin 0-18 someday, as I think it would be the perfect compliment to the Martin 2. I have no desire to own a dreadnaught guitar, and whenever I go into guitar stores I always try to find the smaller guitars among the heard of dreadnaughts.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 AM

My guitars are getting smaller over time, having gone Dread -> OM -> O.

I'm working my way up to a ukulele!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
0 size, 00 size, martin, parlor guitar