The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Popular songs based upon the 120 Giuliani Arpeggios

Hey,

Determined to finally make it through all 120 Giuliani arpeggios this year. This time I really mean it!

Was browsing my stack of Acoustic magazines last night and came across Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. Had not played that song in almost 2 decades but a quick look at the intro and main verse picking pattern and it is almost exactly Giuliani #10 with one extra base note per measure. (Thought to include the two picking patterns but decided it may not be respectful of copyrights for either.)

Got me wondering if anyone else knows of any similar situations where a popular closely resembles one of these arpeggios. I suppose there are and that compiling a list could be fun. Anyone know of any?

Cheers!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edp251 View Post
Hey,

Determined to finally make it through all 120 Giuliani arpeggios this year. This time I really mean it!

Was browsing my stack of Acoustic magazines last night and came across Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. Had not played that song in almost 2 decades but a quick look at the intro and main verse picking pattern and it is almost exactly Giuliani #10 with one extra base note per measure. (Thought to include the two picking patterns but decided it may not be respectful of copyrights for either.)

Got me wondering if anyone else knows of any similar situations where a popular closely resembles one of these arpeggios. I suppose there are and that compiling a list could be fun. Anyone know of any?

Cheers!
Interesting. Which Giuliani arpeggios do you mean? In the series I know, #10 is nothing like Landslide - but there are definite resemblances to some of the later ones.

BTW, his studies would be well out of copyright now. And it would be outrageous if Lindsey Buckingham attempted to copyright his patterns on Landslide (as opposed to the more original aspects of the song), because they're just standard alternating bass patterns. (Which, again, naturally resemble many of the Giuliani studies in the collection I know.)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Interesting. Which Giuliani arpeggios do you mean? In the series I know, #10 is nothing like Landslide - but there are definite resemblances to some of the later ones.

BTW, his studies would be well out of copyright now. And it would be outrageous if Lindsey Buckingham attempted to copyright his patterns on Landslide (as opposed to the more original aspects of the song), because they're just standard alternating bass patterns. (Which, again, naturally resemble many of the Giuliani studies in the collection I know.)

Sorry. That is what i get for posting pre-coffee...lesson learned.

I agree on the copyright. Just being respectful. Day job is in academia so i am conditioned I guess. See the attached picture.

The top is Giuliani from the 120 patterns book and the lower is the notation for the main Landslide riff from the recent magazine.

i meant #11 and am absolutely only talking about the repeating main picking pattern. I am using the Giuliani fingering, not the one suggested in the magazine.

Musically they are different for several reasons, especially the extra base note that appears first as the 5th note.

Just wondering if there are other well-known songs that I will bump into as I make my way through these. Adds a bit more fun to it....

Thanks for you help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Land_giuliani.jpg (23.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry. That is what i get for posting pre-coffee...lesson learned.

I agree on the copyright. Just being respectful. Day job is in academia so i am conditioned I guess. See the attached picture.

The top is Giuliani from the 120 patterns book and the lower is the notation for the main Landslide riff from the recent magazine.
But they're very different. The Giuliani is in 12/8 for a start, it wouldn't sound the same at all.

In the Giuliani collection I have, that one is #16, so I guess at least the order they're printed in is different. In my set there is one which is much more like the Landslide pattern. Take at a look at #38:

The thumb plays the low C and E, so this is really a typical alternating bass pattern, the Landslide pattern just has some variation in the upper notes.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Those are rather dissimilar. On the other hand there are only so many notes making up a key and a chord (especially given lack of accidental notes). Many things can be similar over a short stretch but become less similar over a longer stretch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
But they're very different. The Giuliani is in 12/8 for a start, it wouldn't sound the same at all.

In the Giuliani collection I have, that one is #16, so I guess at least the order they're printed in is different. In my set there is one which is much more like the Landslide pattern. Take at a look at #38:

The thumb plays the low C and E, so this is really a typical alternating bass pattern, the Landslide pattern just has some variation in the upper notes.
Hi Jon,

I understand that they are musically different. My point is about the primary picking pattern. In the picture I posted, the arpeggio over the C chord is exactly the same in both pieces with the exception of an additional base note even though the the time signature and melody would not be the same. Of course the Giuliani proceeds to a G7 chord and Lanslide goes to G/B but the fingering repeats similarly in both.

So, my point and post are simply about the repeated Giuliani picking patterns (which of course can be played countless ways musically) and which popular songs they may appear in.

I look forward to getting to the one you shared. It is even closer.

Thanks again, Eric

Last edited by Edp251; 03-25-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I have those in guitar pro format. I was doing the first dozen a few times a week, but lately (the last 9 months or so) I've been in other tunings so it hasn't been convenient to do the drills. Good reminder though for me, thanks for the thread.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Hi Jon,

I understand that they are musically different. My point is about the primary picking pattern. In the picture I posted, the arpeggio over the C chord is exactly the same in both pieces with the exception of an additional base note even though the the time signature and melody would not be the same. Of course the Giuliani proceeds to a G7 chord and Lanslide goes to G/B but the fingering repeats similarly in both.

So, my point and post are simply about the repeated Giuliani picking patterns (which of course can be played countless ways musically) and which popular songs they may appear in.

I look forward to getting to the one you shared. It is even closer.

Thanks again, Eric
Thank you too! I'm fond of thinking that classical styles and folk-blues styles are two different approaches to fingerpicking, but these exercises - after you reminded me to check them! - show that there's at least plenty of overlap. Certainly the ones in 16ths (like the above) make good exercises for alternating bass style, because the thumb is on every 8th.
You could even have the thumb on all the lower 16ths (C-G-E-G) - and slow it down of course - an even more familiar pattern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
arpeggios, classical, fingerstyle, giuliani