The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
If I were looking for cheap sounding and thin, Epiphone and mostly Taylor would be perfect.
Opinions vary.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM

The EF-500RCCE is kind a strange one to pick for comparison. There really isn't an analogous Gibson. The other current masterbilts have closer counterparts.

I agree with GuitarLight, who mentioned above that you really need to find a "good one" when it comes to Gibson brands. Although my sample comes mostly from Guitar Center, I've played quite a number at this point and have to say that both Gibson and Epiphone acoustics vary MUCH more from guitar to guitar (of the same model) than Martins, which in turn vary more than Taylors. Taylor really has consistency down (it's almost uncanny) while Gibson has easily the highest Lemon rate. That said, a "good" Gibson easily keeps pace with the best Martins and Taylors. Thing is, so does a "good" Masterbilt - you know this if you have one
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 AM

A few videos for comparison.... These aren't apples to apples comparisons. Different wood, different scale lengths. The models closest to one another for dimensions and tone wood would be the Gibson J-45 Standard, Blueridge BG140 and Epiphone AJ-45ME

Gibson J-45 Standard ($2200 street)

Eastman E20SS ($1100-$1200 street)

Blueridge BG140 ($700-$750 street)

Epiphone AJ-500R (~$650-$750 used. Discontinued)

Epiphone AJ-45ME ($649 steet)

Epiphone MasterBuilt DR-500MCE ($649 street)

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 AM

There are some great Masterbilt Epiphones out there: https://youtu.be/h0wCwBXfMx4
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Wow, not a lot of love for the Epi AJ45ME. I really love mine, I must have gotten one of the "good ones."

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 03-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
PR, interesting timing. I just bought a used Epi MB EF-500 yesterday on eBay and it's in transit to me as I write this. Excited. I've needed an OM sized cutaway for a long time, and these are pretty fab, from what I hear. I'll let you know.

Have you played a lot with the factory rig as far as settings and such? If so, I might wanna pick your brain at some point. The ones I've heard at open mics and such leave much to be desired. I've heard rumor that they can sound pretty dang good if dialed in correctly. What's your experience?

I'll let you know when it's in the barn.

Scott
Yes. I wouldn't put my trust at anything I might hear, specially if I don't know the settings used. I judge by my own experience. Plugged in, my Epi , IMO, is good, but to get its very best sound is not that easy.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-15-2016, 02:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT77 View Post
The EF-500RCCE is kind a strange one to pick for comparison. There really isn't an analogous Gibson. The other current masterbilts have closer counterparts.

I agree with GuitarLight, who mentioned above that you really need to find a "good one" when it comes to Gibson brands. Although my sample comes mostly from Guitar Center, I've played quite a number at this point and have to say that both Gibson and Epiphone acoustics vary MUCH more from guitar to guitar (of the same model) than Martins, which in turn vary more than Taylors. Taylor really has consistency down (it's almost uncanny) while Gibson has easily the highest Lemon rate. That said, a "good" Gibson easily keeps pace with the best Martins and Taylors. Thing is, so does a "good" Masterbilt - you know this if you have one
Very good point, CT. I would just like to add Yamaha into this discussion. Yes, I realize they're in a different part of the market, but their consistency of fit and finish and QC is as good, or better, than Taylor, and no one makes a better line of acoustics below $500 new. And their full dreads made in Japan rival the brands mentioned here.

And they do this also with pianos, keyboards, soundboards and mixers, and frankly, anything that bears their logo. An extraordinary company, by any yardstick.

Scott
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Epi vs Gibson.

Was hanging out the other year with some friends [PLAYERS] one of who was looking for a PRS acoustic at GC. I was messing around with a coupla Gibson Hummingbirds {$29-$3100} and None of the three sounded anything spectacular. Tone wasn`t balanced and the action was horrible. I then picked up an Epi Hummingbird and was so impressed I passed it around and we all got into the Gibson vs Epi discussion after playing all of them. The Epi won and I walked out the door with it for 3 bills. It sounds great,records so smoothly and after a truss rod tweak plays like butter. One of a kind,I got lucky!. Was kinda sad to hear how lame the Expensive Gibson`s sounded and played,maybe they were just seconds at retail price?. And it plays as well as my Taylor 314ce but the tones match nicely when recorded together.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
Was hanging out the other year with some friends [PLAYERS] one of who was looking for a PRS acoustic at GC. I was messing around with a coupla Gibson Hummingbirds {$29-$3100} and None of the three sounded anything spectacular. Tone wasn`t balanced and the action was horrible. I then picked up an Epi Hummingbird and was so impressed I passed it around and we all got into the Gibson vs Epi discussion after playing all of them. The Epi won and I walked out the door with it for 3 bills. It sounds great,records so smoothly and after a truss rod tweak plays like butter. One of a kind,I got lucky!. Was kinda sad to hear how lame the Expensive Gibson`s sounded and played,maybe they were just seconds at retail price?. And it plays as well as my Taylor 314ce but the tones match nicely when recorded together.
It's a funny thing with the budget Epiphone's... If you get a good one, it's just a phenomenal value. If you get a bad one it's just a train wreck. I believe your story (at least regarding setup/action/intonation of Gibson Hummingbird vs Epiphone Hummingbird). I've shared this story a few times here, but I was very surprised to find one of the Epiphone EJ-200 Artist ($179 new) had better intonation and setup out of the box than a Gibson EJ-200 (~$3000) in the GC showroom. This wasn't a new Epi against an old Gibson. It was two brand new instruments, neither restrung or tampered with. Both out of the box. I showed the sales clerk and he just smiled and just said "yeah, that is surprising". I asked if under any circumstance they would perform a setup on the EJ-200 in store and he confirmed they would never do that. If they guitar was in really bad shape they would send it back to the warehouse.

Sad this is still a problem in 2016 but Gibson should really focus more on quality control. Your $3000 for a real J-200 or $2000+ for a real Hummingbird is buying you higher quality hardware, solid woods, etc... The Epiphone's are made of cheap components and in the case of the base model Epiphone Hummingbird Artist and my EJ-200 Artist they also have all laminate construction. However, both these guitars have hand scalloped bracing. Hand scalloped bracing on budget guitars is a dice roll, but if you find a good one it can sound like a much more expensive instrument.

Also if you compare a good budget 2016 Epiphone Gibson copy against a poor Norlin era Gibson that not only hasn't aged well but also started it's life overbuilt and dull, I would not be surprised to learn the Epiphone won in a blind fold test.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT77 View Post

I guess you're right. There isn't a Gibson that matches the EF-500RCCE. Now I wonder if Epiphone made it and put it in the Masterbilt line just for marketing purposes. Either way, it's the absolute best of the line.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Guest316

Brand bashing closes threads . . .
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, epiphone, gibson, masterbilt, tone