The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Default Epiphone "1963" EJ-45 or AJ-220S dilemma

I'm not a musician, but have bought a guitar for my wife as a birthday present.
She had played a bit, but about 20 years ago, and she wants to get back into playing.

She does already have a Spanish guitar but she never really goes near it, and wanted a steel string acoustic.

So, trying to surprise her, and without enough research, I checked out our nearest music store and really liked an Epiphone EJ-45, the 1963 "Limited Edition". Faded cherry sunburst. Looks great. Have to stick about that price range too.

Planned to go back and buy one last Saturday, the day before her birthday, (today). Had a brief flirtation with buying a Fender CD-60 on Thursday night, but decided to stick with the Epiphone.

Friday night, I stumbled across a lot of glowing reviews for the Epiphone AJ-220S, which is touted as being a brilliant guitar for the price, and with a solid spruce top. The other one has a laminated top, despite what many stores here in the UK say.

Went back to the shop on Saturday morning to check out both these guitars and maybe to get a salesman to play both for me. Turns out the AJ-220S is not in stock, and they tried to steer me to the more expensive version with the pre-amp. After a bit of thought, and not wanting to be empty handed on the birthday Sunday morning, I bought the EJ-45.

Pretty soon after I got home, and after reading a bit more online, I began to wonder if I should have stuck out for the AJ-220S. Especially after reading some people on this forum slating the EJ-45.

For the record, my wife loves the guitar, but I've told her that we maybe can return it for a better one, and she's cool with that too.

So, is the AJ-200S really that much better?
Would you swap?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
I'm not a musician, but have bought a guitar for my wife as a birthday present.
She had played a bit, but about 20 years ago, and she wants to get back into playing.

She does already have a Spanish guitar but she never really goes near it, and wanted a steel string acoustic.

So, trying to surprise her, and without enough research, I checked out our nearest music store and really liked an Epiphone EJ-45, the 1963 "Limited Edition". Faded cherry sunburst. Looks great. Have to stick about that price range too.

Planned to go back and buy one last Saturday, the day before her birthday, (today). Had a brief flirtation with buying a Fender CD-60 on Thursday night, but decided to stick with the Epiphone.

Friday night, I stumbled across a lot of glowing reviews for the Epiphone AJ-220S, which is touted as being a brilliant guitar for the price, and with a solid spruce top. The other one has a laminated top, despite what many stores here in the UK say.

Went back to the shop on Saturday morning to check out both these guitars and maybe to get a salesman to play both for me. Turns out the AJ-220S is not in stock, and they tried to steer me to the more expensive version with the pre-amp. After a bit of thought, and not wanting to be empty handed on the birthday Sunday morning, I bought the EJ-45.

Pretty soon after I got home, and after reading a bit more online, I began to wonder if I should have stuck out for the AJ-220S. Especially after reading some people on this forum slating the EJ-45.

For the record, my wife loves the guitar, but I've told her that we maybe can return it for a better one, and she's cool with that too.

So, is the AJ-200S really that much better?
Would you swap?
I've played both. I like AJ-220s better.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Not only have I played both of these guitars..but I presently OWN both of these Epiphone models. Although the 220S is a wonderful model with great sound and a solid top, the EJ45 also fits the bill for my needs. My 220S came set up well and playes like a dream...the EJ45 needed a set up, neck straightened, frets filed and leveled to stop buzzing...but once it was finished being tweaked, it has excellent sound and almost unbelievable tone for a laminate top guitar...and that is what I WANTED, a laminate top for this model, because it is much more strong and stable in temp and humidity changes both in the house and for travel. The EJ-45 limited edition, in case you did not now..is the "spitting image" of the Gibson $2100 J-45...cover the head stock and the Epiphone name on my EJ-45 and no one, not even an expert will tell the difference from a distance. Mine is finished beautifully...I replaced the plastic pins for ebony, and put new Elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights on it. And I am telling you its tone for a laminate is shocking. I did not expect it. It is not quite as loud in volume as my AJ220S, nor does it deliver quite as much thickness of tone...but what it DOES deliver is stable, clean respactable tone, and it is a delight to sing with...as good as my Gibson Hummingbird. The AJ220S is much louder....but louder is not always as good if your voice is quiet, as the 220S often drowns my voice out...the EJ-45 is just so nice to see, play and look at. Its sound and tone are suttle but very nice. But yes both guitars are good in my view...and I do own both...and they are both as important a part of my stable as my Gibson Hummingbird.

If your EJ45 plays as sweetly in tone as mine does, your wife will be happy...if it needs set up for ease of play..get it..it will be worth it. And it will remain much more durable because of the lamination. If greater sound and volume are what you must have..then the 220S is the ticket. It all depends on what you are looking for. If your wifes voice is soft and delicate..I can tell you that the 220S gets LOUD, and it could wash her out vocally....the EJ-45 will hum delicately, and sweetly, behind her voice complimenting it. Good luck!

Last edited by GuitarLight; 06-28-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I've also e-mailed a friend of a friend, who owns about 14 guitars, to ask his opinion.

Personally I'm still leaning towards the AJ-220S, but it now seems to be out of stock in just about every music shop I can check online.

Last edited by Odradek; 06-29-2015 at 03:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
aj-220s, ej-45, epiphone