The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Default Impressed by the Gibson j45 studio

I got to play one of the new Gibson 45 studios today with the walnut back and sides today, it sounded great. Played smooth, looked sexy and sounded wonderful. I’d been wanting to play a Martin D15 and got to play two of the OM versions then picked this one up and it blew me away. Was very hard to put it down. If one of the GC sales folks had acted like I was a live I may have tried to haggle with them and take it home but they didn’t. I was thourghally impressed with it and to me sounded better than the J15 guitars that I’ve played.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 PM

Are the Studio specs the same as the Standard? I thought the neck radius was different.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a J45 Studio with the sunburst, and am loving it. I actually like the color of the sunburst better than the Standard. The walnut make the trebles a tad brighter than the J45 Standard, but I find the tone very pleasing and true to the J45 sound. The narrower body depth is awesome. It's really a great guitar, and my first foray into the world of Gibson.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM

I posted a week or so ago that I have also purchased a J-45 Studio. I was looking at J-15's but the slightly shallower body depth of the J-45 Studio was more comfortable for me. Sounds great!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packe View Post
Are the Studio specs the same as the Standard? I thought the neck radius was different.
I believe the neck profile is different but the body is definitely shallower. Playing dreadnaughts hurts my shoulder, but this guitar is very comfortable to play.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Impressed by the Gibson j45 studio

I really liked the one I tried recently too. It looked and sounded great, and the thinner body depth was very comfortable. If I was in the market, I’d been tempted at that price.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:18 PM

The neck felt a little fuller than the 15 and was mahogany (I think) instead of maple. I honestly really liked the j15 maple neck for its looks. The body was a lot more comfortable to hold and really surprised me that it sounded as good as it did for being that thin. There was a 1970’s D18 there as well that I played against it. The D18 clearly has more base and a awesome bluegrass sound but the 45 was really good DIFFERNT sound. For solo or a not country/ bluegrass sound (or even through a amp) I really think the 45 would b hard to beat. Kind of throws me since I’ve been martin crazed for years now but random Gibson’s keep popping up that pull me to them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion