The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
You can do this, Mike. We all started at the same place.
This should be framed and put on the wall for anyone picking up guitar (I wish I knew this when I was starting out).

No matter who you are, or how long you've been playing, you have to progress through the same fundamental challenges (chord fingering, changing chords, rhythm, picking/plucking control etc). There is no true shortcut. If a technique takes an average of a year to master, then even [insert guitar idol here] had to spend close to that time themselves. There is no YouTube video anywhere that will turn a year task into a week.

Of course, when I was starting out, I bought into the belief that my heroes somehow had beaten the odds on mastering fundamentals. This was a destructive belief and contributed to many years of frustration and feeling like I was 'behind' where I 'should' be.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

The teacher should also play your guitar a bit to make sure the guitar's playability is good to rule out problems - action setup, neck profile quirks, intonation problems, whatever.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
And he gave me a couple of chords to work on - G & C. He told me to practice them and try and get them down as quickly as you can.
When I started I would sit in front of the TV and do slow sets of 2-300 reps like this.
G, C and D.
Every single day.

Crimson and Clover over and over.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
When I started I would sit in front of the TV and do slow sets of 2-300 reps like this.
G, C and D.
Every single day.

Crimson and Clover over and over.

Yes indeed. That’s how I learned Mark Hanson’s Travis picking patterns.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Yes indeed. That’s how I learned Mark Hanson’s Travis picking patterns.
Being relentless does wonders for technique.

To the OP, take it slow, don't rush. Practicing too fast just teaches you how to make fast mistakes. Slow motion practice builds muscle memory which is the foundation of playing the guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:09 AM

I am going to take my 2nd lesson this week. I still don't have the C & G Chords down yet. My fingering isn't that great and I cant go between them very fast. Those were the two things that the instructor wanted me to work on about three weeks ago.

Will my instructor be disappointed? Should I call him and tell him before I go over for the 2nd lesson? Would he tell me to just keep working on those two before I come back to see him again?

r/Mike

Last edited by Whitey#1; 03-10-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I am going to take my 2nd lesson this week. I still don't have the C & G Chords down yet. My fingering isn't that great and I cant go between them very fast. Those were the two things that the instructor wanted me to work on about three weeks ago.

Will my instructor be disappointed? Should I call him and tell him before I go over for the 2nd lesson? Would he tell me to just keep working on those two before I get them?

r/Mike
It's not about the instructor, its about you. He is just there to guide you. If your progress is slow due to lack of practice because of responsibilities, that's the way it goes. Guitar is just a hobby for most of us and its suppose to be relaxing and enjoyable.

When I was very young (and I still do this now with new chords) I would put my fretting hand on my lap, then reach for the chord, strum it to check it, then repeat. I would do this countless times until I grabbed the chord and it rang out clean. Starting with your hand on your lap gives yourself a clean slate sort of, free of other chord position influences. Once you can grab the chord and strum it cleanly, you can add moving from another chord to the chord. This worked really well for me and speeded up the muscle memory process.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Will my instructor be disappointed? Should I call him and tell him before I go over for the 2nd lesson? Would he tell me to just keep working on those two before I get them?

r/Mike
Mike,

I doubt he will be disappointed, you won't be the first student not to flawlessly execute an assigned lesson--it happens to me most every week

Go to your lesson, no need to call first. No need to worry about your progress after only 3 weeks. I'd say if you are practicing enough to start developing callouses then you are on the right track.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
he wants to know what you do and don't know. also tell him what you want to learn otherwise it may be mary had a little lamb. do some stretching exercises of your shoulders, arms, wrists and fingers prior. you'll notice a difference.

you'll probably eventually move to an hour.

above all- have fun!!

play music!
+1

Get him to show you chords to easy songs YOU want to play. That will get you hooked and then you can go on and pick up whatever you want. And remember, YouTube is your friend!

BE SURE you've had a GOOD setup done on your guitar so it is very easy to play. More people have quit guitar because they didn't do this than for any other reason.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The teacher should also play your guitar a bit to make sure the guitar's playability is good to rule out problems - action setup, neck profile quirks, intonation problems, whatever.
I think the most important advice in this thread. You need to listen to, and work with, your teacher. But, first you have to make sure your guitar is optimized for easy play. If you don't already have one, get local recommendations for a good set-up person and have your guitar professionally set up. It could speed your learning by 50%... or not.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Had another 30 minute lesson today. The instructor mentioned three things to me:

1) I should let the pick slide/fall downward. Not try and be wristy with it.
2) I should let my other three fingers just hang down and let my thumb and index finger handle the pick.
3) When I practice the C & G Chords he didn't want me doing four strums at a time. That was not efficient. He wants me to go back and forth, just one strum at a time.

r/Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write