The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your preferred approach to buying a guitar?
Generally try the guitar before you buy it? 68 61.82%
Happy to buy without trying it first? 42 38.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Well, the wording is rather biased. I'd bet that everyone would prefer to play before paying, and that's what the poll asks.

Unbiased wording would ask "Do you usually play before you pay, or do you usually buy off the web?"

I didn't vote because of this problem.
I saw no bias, just a straightforward question. Your version is different and your personal preference. I think the poll revealed the lack of due diligence in guitar buying in general, so I think it was well posed.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM

I have done both, the most I spent sight unseen was $2000.00 and it ended up being so with it. I felt that I had to act fast or it was going to be gone. That guitar is my Martin D-41. I also bought this Taylor sight unseen for $1400.00 and it turned out great. A gamble for sure.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I think the poll revealed the lack of due diligence in guitar buying in general
I do not believe there was anything in the poll which might reveal decision process or due diligence for those who purchased guitars via either poll option. The poll revealed a small sample of AGF members (96 responses as of this evening), or approximately .09% of AGF membership, chose to share their preferred approach to buying a guitar.

When I received the five acoustic keepers we purchased sight unseen, I researched the guitars and the wood combinations. We had 48 to 72 hours to demo the guitars in the comfort of home before making a decision. The one guitar we returned was a luthier made guitar, and it was returned so we could order a custom. I suppose our due diligence might be suspect to some, however everyone has their own comfort level for reaching a decision.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 AM

I have been VERY lucky buying used guitars online.
But a ton of research was put into each purchase.
The only time a shop lured me in was Resurrection Guitars in Austin when I wanted a Gibson R9.
I tried 6 and still had to ask their opinions on the last 3.
And I tried a Bedell 64 Dreadnought that haunted me at Action Sound.
It woke me up a week later and I went back.
Alas....that guitar was gone but I tried 5 others and they even put my strings of choice on the final 2.
I put money down on the one I loved and took her home 2 weeks later.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 AM

I am in a very fortunate position in that there a more than enough opportunities to find an incredible number and variety of new and used guitars of all types within an acceptable distance from me. Coupled with being retired and having more control of my time than most, I find no compelling reason to buy a guitar without playing it first. I have bought 1 guitar without trying it first but played one and then ordered that guitar used for a more favorable price from a dealer recommended by forum participants. Since then, played every guitar I have purchased and made the transaction in person. Purchased guitars in person locally, in Mass., Va., and NJ, and passed on others I tried in Va, Pa, De, and Md. all been part of the fun.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion