The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I must say that all of the guitars look MUCH more attractive.
I completely agree. This is going to be a GREAT year for Martin Standard sales!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

They've been hitting a series of home runs the past few years. Much thanks to Chris Martin and the crew. The D-18 is probably the best new guitar value on the market in that price range. Just a superb instrument.

scott memmer
Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 PM

This may have been discussed and I missed it... are there any changes to the OM-28 apart from the “aging” toner?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Hi all, new to the forum. Just recently purchased a brand new 2017 Martin D28. My question is, I’ve noticed that the open gear tuners are Grover’s. Are these new reimagined series standard Martins supposed to come equipped with Schallers?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
They've been hitting a series of home runs the past few years. Much thanks to Chris Martin and the crew. The D-18 is probably the best new guitar value on the market in that price range. Just a superb instrument.

scott memmer
I agree, I bought a new amber tone D18 and its absolutely amazing. Best guitar I've owned including Collings, Bourgeois etc etc etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
As a player, I honestly think Martin has a home run on their hands. As a dealer, I wonder if we might see a "run" on the older style models. 1 11/16" neck fans, the clock is ticking.
As a 1 11/16' neck fan, I'm excited to see that so many mint-condition Martins with 1 11/16' necks are about to come available on the used market. This is going to save me a boatload of cash.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123erinnc View Post
Hi all, new to the forum. Just recently purchased a brand new 2017 Martin D28. My question is, I’ve noticed that the open gear tuners are Grover’s. Are these new reimagined series standard Martins supposed to come equipped with Schallers?
The HD-28 and 41/42/45 style Martins are issued with Schaller Grandtune tuning gears. The 2017 D-28 is issued with Grover tuning gears as standard issue.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-06-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
As a 1 11/16' neck fan, I'm excited to see that so many mint-condition Martins with 1 11/16' necks are about to come available on the used market. This is going to save me a boatload of cash.
I also prefer the smaller nuts. I want the new D-18 scalloped with the smaller nut, but I'm worried if I custom order it, what if it's one of the rare ones that don't sound great? I know that's rare but I've played a few that just didn't cut it for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
The HD-28 and 41/42/45 style Martins come with the Schaller Grand tune tuning gears. But the The 2017 D-28 having Grover tuning gears is standard issue.
Ok thank you. It is an amazing guitar, by far the most beautiful sounding I have ever owned.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM

Hey Spoon - tell me, do you prefer the ivoroid binding or do you like the new antique white binding, and if u have the time, could u tell me what the difference is? i love the ivoroid on a martin custom i have from 2015 and i just ordered a new custom 00-28 and i noticed the spec sheet had "antique white binding" and i'm woried it might be too white compared to the ivoroid - would love to hear your thoughts. And btw, i absolutely LOVE your videos - the superb playing, how informative they are about the given guitar you're reviewing; every detail explored - and that contagious enthusiasm of yours for everything Martin - it's bad for one's GAS, but it's great for the soul of a like-minded Martin lover. Also love your aesthetic - hahah, very understated but very very coo!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm so pleased to see Martin continuing to do well. It's a tough marketplace.

I read somewhere a year or two ago that Martin is the oldest privately-owned company in America that is still owned by the same family. Does anyone know it that's true.

I've been afraid to play the new Standard Series. The D-18 I played at McCabe's about two years ago was so good it scared me. And I have a '91 HD-28 that will be with me for the duration.

I have large hands and play a lot of fingerstyle, so the 1.75" nut -- and even wider -- is the way I roll. But I understand the desire for a narrower neck.

I played one of the remodeled D-18s that a buddy of mine bought new and I thought it was just so-so. So, again, even if they come off the line one after the other, there are inherent differences.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I also prefer the smaller nuts. I want the new D-18 scalloped with the smaller nut, but I'm worried if I custom order it, what if it's one of the rare ones that don't sound great? I know that's rare but I've played a few that just didn't cut it for me.
If it doesn’t work out, you sell it. If that’s the only mod you make, or maybe upgrade the top, you’ll have no problem reselling at a loss of a few hundred $. (The Martin warranty got gutted last year and is all but worthless...more and more people are seeing the value of buying used...). To many, though, a custom order is worth the risk to get exactly what you want. Because most likely, you get your dream guitar out of it. (I also think mahogany is more consistent than rosewood.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion