The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM

Default G7th Heritage capo review

Good evening, all.

I have been using my Heritage capo for a couple of weeks, and I thought I would share my findings here. (A video review I made for my YouTube channel is at the end of the post).

First off, I use capos a lot as my voice is pretty low, and my range is limited. I have always had to change keys of songs to manage my limitations. Kysers, Dunlop Triggers, D'Addarios, Shubbs, and fairly recently Paige capos have all been clamped to my fretboard. Shubbs are the best built of these, but the Paige worked best for me. So yoke-style it is! GAS got me and I decided between an Elliott and the G7th Heritage. Reading a ton of threads, the G7th design and Nick's posts won me over.

Fit and Finish.
The Heritage is beautifully built. Holding it, it's obviously a very nice piece of hardware. The latch is cleverly designed - it can't be opened while pressure is exerted. The screw mechanism turns absolutely beautifully, as if it were turning on ball bearings - it practically spins. Rubber pieces between the arms stops any metal-to-wood contact. Solid feeling and precise. Light, but heavy enough that it feels solid.

Function:
First off, the ART (adaptive radius technology) works as advertised. I tried it on several different fretboards with differing radiuses (radii?). 7 1/4" Strat, 9 1/2" Tele, 12" Gibson - the Heritage works perfectly with all three (and this is the interesting part) with minimal pressure compared to either my Shubbs or my Paige. It just takes less pressure to get the notes ringing clearly. It sounds more open than my other capos as well. How much more? Hard to say... I like the sound a bit better with the Heritage than with any of my others clamped on. And that's just it - the trigger styles and the Shubbs feel like they are being clamped on - the yoke styles feel like they are gently pulling strings down. I like the feeling of control and precision I am getting using the G7th. Mine is standard width, and I can safely capo all the way up to the 10th fret with no issues on my Gibson J-29. Last here (and not least!) the capo simply does a better job not pulling my low E string sharp as I use it. The Shubb required more pressure to keep the notes clean, and when it was tight enough, my low E would always be sharp. The effect is far less noticeable with the Paige, and nearly non-existent with the Heritage. Lastly the capo fits behind the nut, parked there for when I need to get to it. I'm a fan of the yoke design, for sure.

Accessories:
The leather case is a really cool bit of kit. Well made and well thought out, with the pick pouch being a nice touch. My incoming Blue Chip TD50 will find it's way in there after using it! A microfiber cleaning cloth is included as well, packaged in a nice heavy cardboard box. Nice presentation on this one.

Bottom line:
Is it worth the price tag? That's subjective, for sure. It is for me. I use capos all the time (as I mentioned) and having a well-built one that works perfectly is good in my book. I look at it this way: I use capos like I use effects on electric guitar, and I have at least 8 boxes on my electric pedalboard right now that cost more than the G7th Heritage capo. Heck, I use the capo more than my FoxRox Octron III, and I didn't mind paying for that.

Here's a link to a short video review I made about the G7th Heritage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDolrBm7eQ

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you are thinking about getting one of these, I sure like mine - if that helps you in your decision.

Να είναι καλά!

big jilm

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

I also have one , fantastic piece of art!

Roger
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM

Will it open enough to store at the nut?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Will it open enough to store at the nut?
Quite easily, on my Gibson at least. I show that toward the end of my video.
Such a nice piece of gear!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Good review-thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM

I have three, best I've ever used!!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Good review-thanks!
Thanks! It's worth the price of admission, for sure.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I have three, best I've ever used!!!!
Nice! Have you compared them with the Elliott? That's my next step.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Nice! Have you compared them with the Elliott? That's my next step.
I've only tried the Elliott, not owned one. What it doesn't have is the reason you buy the Heritage, the Adaptive Radius Technology. That's the game changer in my view. Otherwise they are both extremely well made capos.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 PM

I haven't tried other yoke style capos but compared to the trigger capos and the g7th performance capos, the heritage has been the best capo that I have ever used.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for the review. I own both the Elliott and the Heritage and I prefer the Elliott ever so slightly as I like the clarity of the harmonics with the Elliott. As others have said the Adaptive Radii Technology is great if you have electrics as well. I have compound radiused necks on my two best guitars and have never had an issue with my Elliotts which adapt fine as I go up the neck. Also, on the Elliotts, the screw does not protrude out quite as much - splitting hairs, I know. Both are fine capos and Nick and Simon have done a great job engineering some beautiful and functional capos whether you like the yoke style or the clamp on style.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion