The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 05:49 AM

Default Buying Advice

This forum has been a great resource. I have decided to make the plunge and buy a new/ used guitar. I am learning to play bluegrass and I currently own a Taylor 110. I have a budget of about 2 K. I know the most important thing is to go out and play them, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on where to buy, what to buy, new or used. Thanks and I appreciate the help and this forum.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 AM

I just bought a Taylor 314 and am very very happy - $1999
Old 02-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Forget your budget. Go to physical stores and play guitars. You're better served spending 1000 Dollars on travel finding a perfect (for you) 800 Dollar guitar than following advice from folks here and buying unheard, unplayed, online for 1800 Dollars.
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 AM

To me bluegrass = Martin. I would not be hesitant getting a Martin online. You can get either a D28 or a D18 for under $2K from one of the AGF sponsors. Your mission is to find out which one of those you prefer. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 AM

I agree that you should try to get out and play as many guitars as you can, simply to get a sense of what works for you. I'd also suggest you look for used Martin guitars, as they're superb instruments that in many cases will come in below your budget limit. A good used professional quality guitar like a Martin or Taylor will give you a lot more guitar for your money than a new one.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 AM

You are better off going and playing some guitars, but the AGF is useful for getting information, experience and opinions. That's what you asked for and you can assuredly get some guidance to help you on your quest by asking.

My suggestion based on your budget.
Martin D18

Others will add to the list.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 AM

For BG, Martin. Play as many as you can. If you will play leads, the D18. If your doing rhythm, the HD28. Find a really clean used version of either. Save money.

Have fun seeking.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

The general notion is that the D-18 is the ideal bluegrass flatpicking/lead guitar while the D-28 is the ideal bluegrass backup/rhythm guitar. That's a bid too rigid but it does emphasize what each of those models excels at. Plenty of great players have used both and have successfully played both styles on either of them. Generally, the somewhat plainer D-18 will cost less and they can be a really great guitar for bluegrass. If you're new to playing bluegrass, you might not really have developed a strong preference yet for a mahogany (D-18) or rosewood (D-28) guitar. You may find that, whatever you buy, you'll eventually want to get something else, either as a replacement or an addition to whatever you buy now. If that scenario fits you, going with a D-18 makes some sense, as it will generally cost a bit less than a D-28. On the other hand, if you get to play both and love the D-28, there's no reason not to get one.

Used from a reputable source will save you a bundle. If you go used, bring a knowledgeable friend along if possible and focus on playability. A decent used guitar can be a great instrument. One in need of a neck reset that consequently is a bear to play, on the other hand, can be a big mistake. Use your hands and ears to choose, not your eyes. Also, be sure anything you try is strung with the same gauge (and preferably brand) of strings you now prefer so that comparisons will be relevant. Bluegrass guitars usually run mediums. If you encounter one with extra-lights on it, the strings may have been chosen to mask a playability issue.

The best used deals are from private sellers but they're also potentially the most risky as there wouldn't be any guarantee or return option. That's fine if you (or someone who accompanies you) knows what to look for. Not so much if you're less confident that you can spot any issues. There are lots of Martins out there and they change hands fairly frequently. So a good used instrument shouldn't be hard to find. You might check the classifieds here and try to find one that's being sold by a member who has been here a long time. That's not an iron-clad guarantee of integrity but it generally helps.

New guitars avoid a lot of the uncertainties but also cost more. One of our forum sponsors will likely give you a better deal on a new Martin dread than you could get just walking into a local shop. It may be best to use one of our sponsors if you decide to go new.

Finally, a Martin won't sound like a Taylor. You may have gotten used to the Taylor sound and Martins may sound a bit odd to your ears at first. Both are great guitars but different. A Martin really is what most people associate with bluegrass. If you decide to get a Martin, play a few and try to acclimate your ear to their tone before settling on a specific guitar. Fortunately, they can be found in lots of places, so trying a few shouldn't be that hard.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree that you should try to get out and play as many guitars as you can, simply to get a sense of what works for you. I'd also suggest you look for used Martin guitars, as they're superb instruments that in many cases will come in below your budget limit. A good used professional quality guitar like a Martin or Taylor will give you a lot more guitar for your money than a new one.
Wade Hampton Miller
... all good advice given here, as usual; but at the end of the day, I think Wade has summed up the correct approach. Guitars have the reputations they have for a reason, and a well cared for used instrument can bring greater value than your “new” budget can afford ...

Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the advice. If I am looking used would you be looking for a post 2012 d18 to have the new bracing or is that not a much of a concern? Thanks again
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Who are the forum sponsors selling Martin D28?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
I am learning to play bluegrass and I currently own a Taylor 110.
The first question I'd ask is what don't you like about your 110 that makes you want to shop for another dread? What do you think you're missing? The answer will help you with your shopping.

But yeah -- in your price range, a good D-18 is a safe bet. Pre- or post 2012 depends on the sound/responsiveness that you prefer, particularly since you're talking flatpicking, which will sound good on either.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice/suggestions. I waited this long to follow through on some some of the advice/ suggestions given and I felt I owed the advisors an update. I live in the greater Cincinnati area and went to several locations in the Cincy, Lexington, and Louisville area. I stuck to the plan to play used and new Martin D18 and D28. Most of my playing was on Standard models of each. I am drawn more towards the D18 in terms of sound, tone, volume, although I do love the look of the rosewood. But I’m going to stay on track here and not second guess my decision again. As far as the sound of the pre and post 2012 D18 models, again I leaned towards post 2012 models. So my next ( wish I could say last) question revolves around playing a guitar prior to playing if buying new. I know I may get replies that every guitar sounds different, but would not playing the actual guitar be a deal breaker if the price from a forum sponsor is less?Because I can say I have played some that sounded very different. So, thanks in advance for the opinions. I’m no expert, just a retiree who spent 35 years listening to bluegrass. I been at it for almost a year and am working at it everyday. And also to the one reply that asked me why I wanted to replace my Taylor 110, I did take a serious view to your question. It’s simple to say........well it’s a D18. I’m not sure if it was your intent but it did make me sanity check my spending habits in my retired life. In a nutshell, the number one difference for me personally was the playability of the D18. I’m still not sure if this was some Martin placebo effect or it’s true. The sound I would describe like this, it’s sounds like I’m playing notes on my Taylor, it’s sounds like music when I play the same tune on a D18. Thanks again for all the help. I just realized I could have just said ...............well, it’s a D18.
Ben
Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Are you interested in doing bluegrass jams? If so, you'll be amazed at how much instant credibility a Martin bestows. But it has to be a dreadnought. Extra credit for showing up at a BG jam with a D-18 that appears to have been played a bunch.

It's all relative to the local culture. On the west coast, if I'm doing BG, I show up with my dreadnought. If I'm doing old-time, I take the 000.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Bluegrass music is a lot of fun, whether its a big jam session, or more intimate setting. Just remember, it doesn't matter how big a voice your guitar has, you'll never be able to compete volume wise with the banjos and mandolins. Some guitars, like the HD28 can come close, but even then not all the way. I caution you, don't make that your goal! No amount of volume beats a good, consistent rhythm. If you can accomplish that, you will be much more welcome in whatever group you're playing with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion