The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 PM

I'm sure I won't put this very accurately but here goes:

1969: Came home from school and saw on TV Chet Atkins playing "Dixie" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy" at the same time on one guitar. Thought, "I need to learn how to do that." (Still don't know how) Went to the PX (lived on Navy base at the time) and spent my life savings of $14 on a small steel string guitar and a Mel Bay chord book. I didn't bother learning how to tune so I mostly made very bad sounds with this. Finally learned how to tune about a month later and the journey began. No idea when I lost/got rid of this guitar. Also no idea of brand...

1973-ish: Bought what to me was a "good" guitar, a Drifter model made by Continental (all laminate dread) and began spending a lot of time learning Jim Croce, Bread, Dan Fogelberg, etc. songs.

1981: I had moved to Las Vegas and was working in a camera store that was very near a music store where I'd fallen in love with an Applause (affordable Ovation) that I'd been playing every lunch hour for a couple months. The store was closing and selling everything around 50-60% off and raced over to find they'd already sold my "dream guitar". Kept playing my Drifter off and on as life and kids allowed me time (read: not much time at all...)

1986: Decided to dust off the Drifter and visited "best" music store in Las Vegas, Vesley's Music, to buy her new strings only to find an identical Applause hanging on their wall! I hurried home and told my wife about finding my "dream" guitar. She went to the music store and promptly put it on layaway for me and gave me the ticket for my birthday. 2 days later I paid her off and brought her home.

2009: Decided I wanted to learn electric blues guitar and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Studio with all the trimmings; amp, pedals, etc. Along the way I bought a semi hollow body electric. Kept at it for about 2 years until I finally realized my love of guitar was acoustic.

2010: Traded LP for a Mitchell 12 string acoustic. Returned it a year later after bridge began lifting and GC swapped it, no questions asked, for a new one. Traded her on a Loudbox Mini.

2011: Traded my hollow body for an Ibanez Atwood dread that I still have. Y'all were right about Hogs! Still have her and use her for finger picking.

2013: After reading on AGF about the Ibanez AC240 and all the wonderful things about "hogs" bought one. One of my best moves of the year!

2012-2015: Bought/sold/traded various Ibanez and Epiphones to finally end up with Alvarez dread that has become my #1. Kept

2016: Did some photographic consulting with a local guitar store and got a smoking hot deal on a Seagull Walnut 12 string. What a cannon!!!

Current stable:
Applause 6 string
Ibanez Artwood dread
Ibanez Artwood AC240
Epiphany classical nylon string
Alvarez dread
Seagull 12 string walnut dread

Drifter dread (I'll never sell my first...)

I just love acoustic guitars!!

Best,
PJ
Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM

There were others I've forgotten now but this is the progression of what I can remember, starting in '73. I do not collect, though. Of the list below the Yamaha CG110-CE (classical) is the only one I kept and currently play. I believe it was made in '96. No stories other than the Martin D35 ('74) that Martin made with uncured wood for the neck that kept warping even after two visits to Martin for warranty repair. I gave it away. Back then it cost me $735.00 with the HSC and Martin never made good on it. Of the list of Martins below, I only bought them to flip them. I would not put a penny in Martin's coffers otherwise.

Yamaha FG230
Ovation Glen Campbell 6
Martin D35
Guild F-412
Martin D-18
Martin DM
Martin D12-35
Martin OMC-16E
Taylor 310 Legends
Norman B20-12
Yamaha CG110-CE
Walden D2040
Larrivee OMV-09E
Larrivee OO-05
Breedlove Focus Concert
Goodall RCJC
Old 12-31-2016, 11:23 PM

With the exception of my old Ovation, I think my collection is a map of the forums I have found in the past few years.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 AM

My journey is not unlike many others with a couple of exceptions.
I grew up in a home of pianists (concert and teachers). I would never sit still long enough for lessons so I never learnt how to play a piano much to my disgust (now, time and motivation are both in short supply) I know my way around a piano, but that is about it. I studied Asian History in my second last year of high school and just "did not get it" so, for my final year I thought I'd take up music. So, in twelve months I had to learn four years of theory and how to pick out twelve (might have been 6, can't recall) melodies on two instruments. Piano was a no-brainer given the family history and guitar, because my (then) Brother-In-Law owned a guitar that he was willing to lend to me. I had two formal lessons on that instrument before I had to start learning my pieces for exams. Again, I'd love to have had more as I would have been classically trained, but I did not know that at the time.

I managed to pass the exams, so I was off the hook. Then my journey began. I bought a new Coronet brand (australian - not epiphone) Bass guitar because a lot of my friends could play guitar and I figured that Bass would be useful. After mucking around on it for a short time, I decided that I'd be able to play bass better if I learnt a bit more about guitar because, at that stage I could only play Bass by reading music. I started in earnest on the BIL's guitar (A Classical guitar of uncertain heritage now) and I managed to break it. ( dropped it and split the soundboard ). I glued it up and eventually found a nice Yamaha classic that I purchased as a replacement for him. Meantime I continued on the old guitar until I heard a 12 string. I fell in love and purchased a cheap one at a pawn shop. It had a distorted neck which, with some cabinet making lessons under my belt I figured that I could fix. It was a pretty fair attempt, just not good enough.

Somewhere along the way I picked up an old Ibanez electric guitar that had 4 pickups and about 6 switches along with the usual volume and tone controls. (I never did find out what it was and none of the Ibanez related searches have found anything even close) I sold it, along with the Bass when I moved to Darwin in 1978. Eventually I disposed of the nasty 12 string and returned the damaged guitar along with the Yamaha to my BIL as I had purchased an Ovation 12 string which I LOVED! That moved to Darwin with me.

In 1979 as we were preparing for a musical in the Church I was then attending, the neck decided to become a banana. The nearest luthier was 2000 miles away so I desperately needed a replacement and that is How I came to meet the Maton in my sig. Over the years, I have bought, sold and given away a few guitars. A no name 12 string that I purchased as a backup for when (not if) I broke a string during a Church service. I gave that to a traveller who needed a guitar. A Baby Bass ( can't think of a better description - similar size to a Violin Bass but different shape which I gave to a guitarist who happened to give me the Ibanez in my sig. My next guitar was a Yamaha Bass along with an Ashton Acoustic guitar that I purchased for my wife (she never did learn how to play, but it looks great on the stand under the "Van Gogh" cafe scene print on our entrance foyer wall. The Yamaha Bass got written off in a flood in 2009 and was replaced with the the Washburn Bass in my sig.

I currently also have a Yamaha FG 400 12 string on loan until I can find another one to add to my stable. I'm also toying with the idea of another electric with humbuckers instead of the single coils that I have in my Ibanez. 2017 looks to be interesting.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:03 AM

In 1973 a fellow transferred to my relatively small high school in a town of about 15,000 in north Mississippi. I soon learned he was a very good guitar player/singer, and I thought that was cool. I asked for a guitar for Christmas 1974. My father first bought one at one of those catalog wholesale places. When he pulled it out a day or so before Christmas, he found he could not get it tuned. Too embarrassed to give it to me, he bought a Taiwan-made Yamaha FG-75 at our town’s only music store for $110 – a pretty high price for him and even today seems like a high price for a purely laminated guitar. I learned to play using one or two books I purchased and did not get lessons. I played the Yamaha off and on for 20 years or so. It got the most playing time when I acted as a sort of traveling songster for younger Sunday School classes during the late 80s.

Around 1994, my son became interested in playing and I pulled the Yamaha back out and he started taking lessons with what now was obviously a baseball bat necked guitar that would serve well in a fight. I started looking for a guitar for him that Christmas (he wanted electric). I bought him an early 80s Dean Hollywood and myself an Epiphone Joe Pass archtop. He worked hard and really improved; I began playing again and barely improved.

Needing a good acoustic, we picked up a used Guild D35 (Westerly) locally and we played that guitar a lot. I then traded the Epiphone archtop through the internet (first time) for a Guild DV52. We had two good acoustics and were doing fine…until I began to discover all of the great acoustics out there and our local music shops (now Memphis) began to carry these great guitars.

In 2005/6, my wife let me buy a new Taylor T-5. Around that time, the Guilds were both sold to generate enough cash for a Bourgeois Vintage OM (used). I used the Taylor and the OM to play with my daughter’s youth choir when they took their summer tours. Playing with the choir forced me to focus on specific songs as well as learn how to work out parts that might not be well-scripted. I probably improved more over those 3-4 years than before or since.

The OM was a great, but not loud enough acoustically to suit me. Still not thinking about owning more than one good acoustic, I began to think about moving to another instrument around 2011. All kids were out of college and I began to focus on what had become my favorite hobby. I sold the OM and started hunting.

Over the course of the next 4 years (2011-2015), I began exploring, learning, and purchasing a variety of acoustics. The journey started with a 2007 Martin Marquis followed the next year by a Huss & Dalton DS-Custom Mahogany. I joined the AGF and The Gear Page and went completely out of control in 2012 as my ear started warming up to Gibsons and I purchased the Jackson Browne signature (without electronics), a Takamine 2003 Ltd Eagle (great workhorse), and a 1966 Gibson J-200 formerly owned by John Prine.

It got worse in 2013 as a Taylor First Edition 918e, a used Stehr GA2409, a Takamine 2009 Ltd, and a Rainsong P-12 joined what was now a flock of guitars.

By 2014 I realized I loved this but was out of control. I was also hearing the instruments better and finally learning what I liked most. By the end of 2015, I sold or traded the Taylor 918e (ultimately too big) the Tak 2009 Ltd (great, but didn’t really add anything different), and the wonderful 2007 Marquis (that was a tough one to let go of). I essentially replaced these with a 1976 Bicentennial Martin D76, a Martin MC-DSM (Koa back and sides) a 1955 Gibson J-50, and a Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim. I will be selling one more guitar as it feels like I have one too many, but I haven’t decided which one yet.

I haven’t bought an acoustic since June 2015 and am optimistic I have a group now that keeps the acoustic GAS in check. Clearly to me, since I don’t play out much, this group feels more like a collection than a set of professional instruments purchased based more on utility. But I love the different tones and flavors of these guitars. I played many excellent guitars during a recent trip to Nashville, but nothing I played made me want to change my collection. I only play out two or three times a year. I hope to take lessons in 2017 and focus on playing guitars as opposed to buying and selling guitars. I feel very fortunate.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Thanks for the picturesque acoustic evolution. Love the chocolate lows of a good vintage D35. My friend has had one since 1982 when he picked it new and it is really dynamic.

The older I get the more warm tone I like. I also am playing more clarity, note separation guitars.
I keep using Elixir nano's for half of my guitars even though I have high regard for many other strings. Especially the first few weeks of fresh use.
I have 6 acoustics and they all sound different for different applications usually regarind tempo and genre.
With changing right hand technique one can get warmer tones from different strings, picks and where you strum the guitar too.

Thanks for your sharing your ride.
What the heck does chocolate lows mean?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
What the heck does chocolate lows mean?
I have a sense, but I don't think I could explain it.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:48 PM

In the '60s shared a cheapo department store steel-string guitar with my sisters. Learned a few chords. Took it to college and carried it around like I knew what I was doing. Saw another guy with a guitar. When to his dorm room. He played "Vaseline Machine Gun" and asked what I could play. I stopped playing guitar.

1975. I'm quite poor and living in Newburgh New York. Bought a cheapo nylon string at JC Penny's at an after Xmas clearance. Relearned a few chords. Tried to teach myself finger picking. Started composing and writing songs.

1978. I'm now in Minnesota and I start playing with a keyboard player in a "punk folk" band. I'm playing a plywood Cortez 12 string with a DeArmond sound hole pickup, a little made in Japan spruce/rosewood flattop and a cobbled together solid body electric.

1990's. Played much less. Bought a used Seagull S6 Folk that became my most used guitar. Stopped fingerpicking and began to play with a thicker flat pick, string skipping/cross-picking style.

2001. My wife dies before she reaches 44 years old. I buy lots of different types of guitars to try to fill the void. I'm now playing a bit more electric than acoustic guitar, but I buy a Guild JF30-12 string, a Martin 0015, a cheap resonator, and eventually Parkwood spruce/rosewood dread and Seagull M6 spruce/mahogany dread. I do a lot of home recording and like mixing up the timbres of different guitars. That's the rationale for my collection: is it different, unique, does it add new sound?

Later in that decade, I remarry, and in 2004 my son is born. Playing time falls off again.

2015. I start playing regularly with that same keyboard player from 1978. I'm now playing electric much more than acoustic. Arthritis issues start to effect use of my left hand index finger for chords which reduces some of the things I do on acoustic. With a keyboard to handle chords, electric guitar offers more colors for melody/single string work.

2016. Start playing electric bass regularly. Arthritis issues continue, start to favor lighter string gauges and shorter scale lengths. This adds a new criteria for what is played, bought or retained: is it easier on the fingers? Sometimes I play in an open tuning (CGDGBA) on acoustic to compensate for index finger limitations. Start composing, playing and recording material for the Parlando Project where I combine spoken word with music, and in August I start roughly bi-weekly podcast/blog postings of results. I want to vary the music for the Parlando Project as much as I can, so I'm dipping into acoustic colors again.

2017 New Year! I aim to continue the Parlando Project through the year, and intend to include acoustic guitar in those pieces.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-02-2017, 12:49 AM

That's a great story, Frank, with far more human texture to it than most of what gets posted on here, my own posts included. Bless your heart. Keep doing what you do.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's a great story, Frank, with far more human texture to it than most of what gets posted on here, my own posts included. Bless your heart. Keep doing what you do.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks for the kind words. As much as we get attached to those stringed things and the sounds they make, they are just the clothes we drape over our music.

Of course, in my case the clothes are often a pair of nondescript jeans, and the music, well, let's just say it looks better with clothes on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Default OK, number three profiled here...

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:19 PM

1st acoustic- 1974 Alvarez Yairi DY-77 purchased in 1981. Just wanted an acoustic. I had $1000 to spend but liked the Yairi better. When I was told it would be only $175 w/HSC that was a no brainer. Still have it. Sounds like an HD28 only better.

2nd was a 1990 Alvarez Yairi DY-71. We got it as a second acoustic so my daughter could play one instead of going for a cheap Yamaha for her. Its warmer, and like more sloped shoulder acoustics doesn't project like the DY-77 or my other dreads. Amazing appointments.

3rd- I'm passing through a local shop just a couple years ago and came across my '72 Martin D35. I couldn't put it down. I had to go home with it. I'd been looking for that one Martin since back in '81 and finally found her. The D35 is the Swiss Army Knife of acoustics. Depending on how I approach it, it can be warm and clear, or I can pound the daylights out of it and it just keeps on giving. I can finger pick it and do Tommy E stuff, and while it doesn't sound like Tommy's Matons it's not bad.

4th- Came just 2 weeks after the Martin. I was looking for a beater because I wasn't about to take my Martin or Yairis to the beach. Turns out this MIJ '81 Epiphone PR-755s is one of those world beaters. Looks like a D35 and sounds like a HD28, only better(!). The girl that sold it to me had no clue as to what she had. Can't take this one to the beach either. It's amazing.

5th- And current last acoustic came 2 months ago. Taylor 614ce. I was looking for a 614 or 814. A buddy I play with occasionally has a 2008 614ce and I just loved the way it projected. That 814 makes me drool too,but this 2011 614ce turned up in mint condition and I couldn't say no. It definitely has it's place. Probably a bit more suited to the Tommy E sound than my Martin, but can cover a lot of ground if approached the right way. I thought it would be my #1, but turns out it is a close #2 to my Martin which still gets the prize. This is the only acoustic I own that has electronics.

And that's my acoustic journey so far.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM

In September of 1985 I started guitar lessons on an old Galaxy archtop that was in the house. I had previously been taking lessons on trumpet (since I was about 8...which would have been 1978). I still have the old Yamaha student trumpet my dad got me around 1980. While my dad had hopes of me becoming the next Maynard Ferguson, I hit those teen years and guitar music was everywhere in the early/mid '80s. Not sure why we had a guitar in the house, my dad was a jazz drummer. Never thought to ask where it came from.

I eventually gave that old guitar to my cousin when she wanted to play. Not sure the whereabouts of that guitar at this point. I wouldn't mind having it for posterity's sake.

Ignoring the electrics (and there were many electrics), the acoustic chronology went something like this.

1985 - I took my hard-earned money and bought 2 acoustics from the local music store a steel string and a classical. They were both by a company called Phantom. I think I paid $150 for the 2. I believe they were cheap "stencil" guitars (mass produced and sold with different "Stencils" or logos under different brand names). The action was high enough to cut cheese. These are long gone.

1987 - I got a Washburn D-10 acoustic/electric for my 17th birthday. Played this guitar hard & made plenty of old 4-track recordings with it. It's still sitting in a case. Haven't pulled it out in years. Maybe like 15.

1989 - was at music school and bought myself an Alvarez Yairi DY-53. I remember Livingston Taylor always taking this guitar because he "loved the way it sounds with a capo". He always gave it back ;-)

It was about here that I began really getting into acoustics as something more than a "pad" instrument.

1990 - I scraped together enough money to buy a 1927 Martin 00-21. Nice guitar, but delicate. I probably shouldn't have gigged so much with it. This is the only used acoustic I bought. All others were new when I got them.

1991 - bought a Martin M-28. An interesting guitar that did not have the typical Martin sound.

1993 - bought a Martin D-28 because I was playing in a trio with 2 female singers and needed something big sounding to compliment their voices. And, hey, everyone needs a D-28..right?

1994 - bought a Taylor 410 because it was such a different (brighter) sound than the Martins.

1995 - bought my main guitar, a Taylor 812ce. This guitar will be 22 years old on 1/13/17. It has been played hard over those 22 years...but continues to be my main instrument. It's incredibly versatile and was one of the early/mid-'90s oddballs where Taylor stuck a leftover 1-7/8" 12-string neck on a x12 guitar because they had too many.

1996 - was doing a lot of studio work, so I had a Taylor 510c built for me (custom build). I had them build it with a 1-3/4" nut and a venetian cutaway. This is my #2 and still has no electronics in it. It's as light as a potato chip and super loud and resonant. The Engelmann top is just outstanding (premium AAAA grade).

1997 - impulse buy. I tried very hard not to buy this one, but my girlfriend at the time (now my wife), made me go back the next day to get it because she knew I would regret it. The guitar? A Taylor 810-WMB. They only made about 270 of them to commemorate the redesign of the dreadnaught that year.

1998 - had a Taylor 912c custom built for me. This is a very "wet" and responsive guitar & my wife's favorite (she plays as well). Interestingly enough, the engelmann on my 510 is nicer...but this guitar still sounds wonderful. It's also about half the volume of my 812ce.

2006 - my wife got me a Baby Taylor for my b-day to have for our trip to England & Ireland that summer.

That's pretty much it for my guitars. My wife has a few...but I don't know all the details of those purchases.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-18-2017, 12:11 AM

Default Numbers 4 and 5 from the series...

I'm up to 9 right now...

Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Default My best acoustic guitar is...

My Martin HD28. like most posters here, I started out with a half decent acoustic and progressed to better guitars as my skills and tastes evolved. I learned my first chords on a Takamine Jasmine. Next was a Yamaha FG700. Never could get comfortable with the thin neck on that one. Then I found a Martin OM1 on my local CL. Great fingerpicking guitar that I still have. I've played this one the most and will never part with it. Then the HD28.

What started this whole adventure was I had a buddy from school that encouraged me to get back into playing guitar. I had tried to play as a kid, but like so many other things at that age if it was too hard I quit. My time in the US Navy cured me of that. Anyway, he had been offered a guitar by an older lady who had retired from the Martin factory. He went and played it, and told me it was the best sounding guitar he had ever heard. Coming from him that meant something, as he had been playing for several years at the time. He didn't have the money to buy it, so he moved on. About a year later I remembered his experience and asked him what model guitar it was. He didn't know, but thought it was something from the Martin custom shop. This piqued my interest, and I asked if he could contact the lady to see if I could go check it out. She still had the guitar, and yes I could come see it. So I picked up my buddy and drove an hour and a half one way to see this custom shop Martin. She brings the case out and opens it up. It still has the tags on it. Nobody has played it except for my friend. I get to looking it over and it's a standard issue HD28, except for the paper label inside with her name on it and Chris Martin's signature. I played a few chords and yeah, my friend was right! I offered her $1,800 and she took it. Both she and her husband had health issues, and under Obamacare their insurance premiums had tripled so it was a win/win for both of us. I never thought I would own such a wonderful instrument! I've been playing it a lot as of late. Still a little hesitant to take it out of the house though!

I have a few other keepers. A DCX1E popped up on CL when I was vacationing in Florida. It sounds good acoustically, and plugged in is no slouch either. It can do everything and I don't worry about marking it up. I bought a 0015M after my 2nd factory tour. Great little couch guitar that has a sound all it's own. Oh, and the Backpacker. So yeah, I like Martins. Can't see myself getting rid of any of them at this point.

Last edited by El Cheapo; 02-19-2019 at 10:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion