The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Agreed. Head to your local auto parts store. They’ll have what you need, and they’ll likely be cheaper and better quality than whatever the big box store has to offer.

Then, when you get home, put them in a safe place, and make a note of where you’ve put them - unlike me

^^^^^^^^^^^This, Napa, Oriley's, Advance Auto, you may even find some at Home Dept. and Lowes. Auto parts is best bet.

Had a few feeler gauge sets, before I ever even began playing guitar. Used them to set the points on my race bikes "motorcycles back in the early 70's
Old 04-12-2024, 08:14 AM

Just don't do what I do with some of the cheaper sets.

True story from me:

I went to a local acoustic guitar setup session offered by a local luthier. As part of the fee he gave us a neck rest and a set of feeler gauges. He showed us how to use the gauges to judge neck relief.

I used them but after a month or so I noticed some rust spots on the gauges. So what did I do? I sprayed some cleaner on it (maybe one with some bleach in it) and then scrubbed them with one of those household sponges.

After they dried I looked at the gauges ... they were as bright as new ... but with all of the markings gone. Yes, the markings had been just imprinted and not etched and so my cleaning process removed all of them leaving with just so many useless little pieces of whatever these were made of.

So either don't clean them like I did or make sure the markings are etched in or are more of a permanent type.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion