The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Attention K-Mart Shoppers: Koa Kalane Uke (NUD)

I was back home in Hawaii with my wife for Thanksgiving. We went to a uke store on Friday night and had some fun with the U-Bass as well as playing some other ukuleles.

While going through the store at K-Mart (my parents live by the Waikele K-Mart) I saw a glass case of ukes. Some had a lot of bling and others looked pretty plain. The brand was one that I haven't heard of (Koa Kalane). I was curious to see how they would sound so I asked for the case to be opened.

I played a few and they sounded decent. There was one that was pretty outstanding above the others. It had a warmer sound (the others sounded thinner and a little harsh) ... decent responsiveness ... overall a good buy for under $200. It just so happens that it was not one of the blingy ones ...

Overall, I'm happy with it (and so was my wife).

The intonation is good so far. The top G string has something that doesn't seem right with it ... probably needs to be lowered a touch. Not quite sure; guess I have to play it a few more times to see what it needs

On the next day, we went to Island Guitars and had a chance to play a Collings Uke. Needless to day, it was an amzing improvement over the Koa Kalane, but for over 10x's the price, I'm very happy with my little K-Mart special What's better is my wife is happy as well (while @ Island Guitars she bought some uke books so that we can learn a few tunes).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments