The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Its like any other artistic field. You do it cause you love it not cause of what the pay is.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 PM

How many couples get by on a single income these days? The fact that many, if not most, luthiers are partnered with someone who works is a red herring: the same could be said of almost all workers.

Still, it's undeniable that it's unrealistic to expect to get rich as a guitar maker. If that's your criterion for success, look somewhere else. Beethoven said something to the effect that nobody should write music unless in makes them really uncomfortable not to. You make instruments because it's the only thing you really want to do. If you're lucky, and work hard, the money will follow, same as with any other profession.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
How many couples get by on a single income these days? The fact that many, if not most, luthiers are partnered with someone who works is a red herring: the same could be said of almost all workers.

Still, it's undeniable that it's unrealistic to expect to get rich as a guitar maker. If that's your criterion for success, look somewhere else. Beethoven said something to the effect that nobody should write music unless in makes them really uncomfortable not to. You make instruments because it's the only thing you really want to do. If you're lucky, and work hard, the money will follow, same as with any other profession.
I guess I am out of touch, no dual income in this household. It was more a statement to imply that a spouse with a good income can make things easier to set up shop.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Thats awesome to see how many there are out there (on this forum) earning a good or modest living building fine guitars. Even if only a hobby, what a great skill. Does anyone out there on the entire AGF work for a major guitar mfr. like Martin or Taylor?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I guess I am out of touch, no dual income in this household.
Nor here, and that's exactly because I've developed my skills according to what I liked doing, not according to where the money is ...

Making a *good* living off something you really like doing is a dream that doesn't come true (easily) for many of us, and let's be honest ... if what you really like doing is earning loads of money (and you're good at that) ... how much living do you get to do?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:38 AM

Definition of a full-time guitar builder: luthier whose spouse is a radiologist

Ed
Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

The argument can be made that there are very few making a “good” living these days - but I’d also say most of those who have the time and inclination to visit forums like this are amongst those few -
Old 06-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
The argument can be made that there are very few making a “good” living these days - but I’d also say most of those who have the time and inclination to visit forums like this are not amongst those few -
T,FTFY?!

(this space intentionally not left blank)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion