The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM

I have four different acoustics. If I was able to buy another without getting rid of one I'd probably look at J-45.

If I could only have one guitar in that price range I really like the Taylor 324 as a very versatile guitar.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Used Guild D-55 or Martin D-18.
Both will be under or at $2,000.00 used.
These would be at the top of my list too.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Wade...a Standard Series Martin. Probably a D-18/D-28 of some sort? And welcome to the forum!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:51 PM

I'd go with a Halcyon if I was ok with waiting on a build, if not, Larrivee.

Take your time...the search can be very educational and fun
Larrivee OM3 (Walnut/Walnut)
Martin 00017SM
Webber OM (Sitka/Maple)
Tinker OM (Sitka/EIR)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Welcome to the three new members!

I would get a used Martin OM or 00-28,
a used Taylor 814ce or a used Gibson J-45
Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 PM

Martin D18, Martin D28 and/or Gibson J45 in that order. (I'm Australian so not sure what they sell for in the USA new or used).

On a side note, played a number of Sigma guitars at my local music shop (Martin and Gibson copies) and was overwhelmed by their build quality, playability and sound at a fraction of the cost of a Martin and/or a Gibson. (Granted they had laminated back and sides).
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 PM

I'm curious what you are hoping to get from your question. There are so many factors since the choice might be influenced by what you already own, one's playing style, physical attributes, etc. etc. Seems like you are just going to get a hundred random answers.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I'm curious what you are hoping to get from your question. There are so many factors since the choice might be influenced by what you already own, one's playing style, physical attributes, etc. etc. Seems like you are just going to get a hundred random answers.
A hundred random answers would be great. A person's answer to that question tells me a lot, right? A bluegrass player, a jazz player, a competitive fingerstyle player, a worship band leader, and an acoustic rocker are all going to have different answers to that question.

What I get out of it is a crash course in AGF members.

And maybe I hear about a guitar I've never heard of before - like a Waterloo.

So, here's a great place for me to say thanks to everyone who has participated so far. And to give my answer: I'd go for a nice 6-800 series used Taylor or a Larrivee.

I'm also still kicking myself everyday for not ordering that Olson I came thisclose to ordering when I was just out of college, still living at home with plenty of disposable income.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamels View Post
I'm also still kicking myself everyday for not ordering that Olson I came thisclose to ordering when I was just out of college, still living at home with plenty of disposable income.
Yeah, well, when I was in college I had a chance to buy a 1939 Martin 000-28 in excellent condition that was the absolute best-sounding guitar I'd ever heard. The guy who had it wanted $850 for it, but as an impoverished college student like me that was completely unattainable - he might as well have been asking $850,000.

So there'll always be great guitars that slip away, never to be available again. That's just part of the deal, the "real life" part of the deal...

Still, if I could ever hop in a time machine and zoom back there to buy that guitar and a couple of others, I'd be on it in an instant!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It’s hard to go wrong with a used Martin Standard Series guitar.

whm

That's the way I'd go hands down.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, well, when I was in college I had a chance to buy a 1939 Martin 000-28 in excellent condition that was the absolute best-sounding guitar I'd ever heard. The guy who had it wanted $850 for it, but as an impoverished college student like me that was completely unattainable - he might as well have been asking $850,000.

So there'll always be great guitars that slip away, never to be available again. That's just part of the deal, the "real life" part of the deal...

Still, if I could ever hop in a time machine and zoom back there to buy that guitar and a couple of others, I'd be on it in an instant!

Wade Hampton Miller

OUCH Wade, I'm sure that still stings
Old 05-29-2019, 07:19 PM

It would be a toss up between a Martin D-18, D-28 or Gibson J-45. The iconic dreadnaughts give the big sound
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I'd look first at a Gibson, probably a J-45. They don't sound like anything I already have (a Martin, a Voyage Air and some very inexpensive imports).
Old 05-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Intro and hypothetical question

I might be weird, but I just recently got my first over-$1k guitar - 1991 Martin J-40 - and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. But if I could add to it...maybe a nice maple Guild Jumbo. Played one used several times, wanted to go back and get it and it was already gone (which was when I met the Martin).
Old 05-29-2019, 07:42 PM

After I mentioned my lost opportunity to buy a 1939 000-28 for $850 back in 1976, Bridgepin wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
OUCH Wade, I'm sure that still stings
Well, yes and no. Sure, I would love to have been able to acquire that guitar, and should reasonably priced time travel ever become a viable option, I'd love to go back to 1976 and buy it! Heck, I'd even throw in an extra twenty dollars or so, just for lagniappe!

But what playing that guitar taught me was how extraordinarily perfect-sounding a rosewood 000-28 can sound. So that missed chance was still a powerfully transformative musical experience for me, one that has informed my taste in guitars ever since.

Back then, very few acoustic guitarists aside from dedicated fingerpickers were interested in anything other than Martin and Martin-style 14 fret dreadnoughts. That '39 000-28 woke me up and made me realize that there's an equally viable steel string acoustic guitar design, one that's even better for the wide variety of musical styles I play than dreadnoughts are.

So it awakened me to the tonal glories and unbeatable musical versatility of Triple O's and OM's. I'm sure I would have eventually figured that out for myself, but playing that one guitar definitely kickstarted the whole process for me.

The benefits I've received from what I learned while playing it have always outweighed my minor regret at not being able to afford it at the time.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion