The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'd be surprised if AGFers didn't notice a set of these babies hanging off the bridge.

That’s because they look like shiny metallic windshield wipers....

whm
Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I can honestly say I have never noticed.
Likewise. I can't tell you what tuners or bridge pins are on any (but one) of my guitars. Don't care. Couldn't care less I've never thought of it or noticed. I'll notice the sound/tone and see what guitar is being played and that's about the end of it.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

As usual Wade, you make a very valid point. Most of the time I am concentrating on The sound of each instrument above all else.
However, There have been numerous times I do take notice and even make inquiries as to the tuners and bridge pins used in a video and or picture. And I especially take notice when I am listening close up. Just recently I noticed that the new owner of a Wilborn guitar had changed nut & saddle materials. It was quite obvious, from bone to a black material. In the video he had bone nut and saddle, and in the picture it was black nut and saddle. And as such I made an inquiry as to why this was done.
But lets face it, 99% of the time it will be either bone or ebony for bridge pins that people and manufacturers use.
And I like to change tuner buttons, so when I see a guitar built with open back tuners, that has screw down buttons I make inquiries about that company.
Of course, you might say my interest in Bridge pins, saddle materials, tuners & tuner buttons is rather excessive, to say the least. ha ha
So while we are on the subject mater, I do have a small favor to ask you Wade. I know you have Schertler open back tuners on at least one guitar if I am correct? Would you be kind enough to check and see if Gotoh buttons fit on the shaft? Schertler seem to be the only reasonably priced open back tuners that have interchangeable buttons. I have been very curious about this.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 PM

As a former art director I almost always look at the aesthetics of someone else’s guitar. I really like to observe how the pins, tuners, bindings, face color etc all work together on someone’s really “pretty” guitar. It’s even better if the guitar sounds beautiful...like mine (I had to say that)
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 PM

I notice them as any guitar aficionado would certainly.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

I think guitar players will be more likely to take notice of things like tuner type and pin materials than the average person.

I do notice both with more attention payed to tuners.
For myself, I am more concerned about tuner function rather than appearance. To me, it seems that there is kind of a "romantic notion" being promoted, capturing a time when guitars were supposed to be at their best. Part of this is the popularity and promotion of outdated tuner designs being used on today's guitars.

It kind of amazes me how many players prefer a cool look rather than the best function.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

I rarely notice things like bridge pins of tuners when watching a video recording or a live performance. I am drawn to the music or ... not.

- Glenn
Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 AM

The only "extraneous" thing I notice is what brand of capo the performer is using , and, if it is a Shubb, whether they have it fitted the right way round.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 AM

I sure as Hell don't...

Only once in a blue moon if I see someone with some kind of really blingy pins or the new (red?) ones for Martin. Then I just think to myself that it looks annoying and move on.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 AM

Knives & Guitars wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So while we are on the subject mater, I do have a small favor to ask you Wade. I know you have Schertler open back tuners on at least one guitar if I am correct? Would you be kind enough to check and see if Gotoh buttons fit on the shaft? Schertler seem to be the only reasonably priced open back tuners that have interchangeable buttons. I have been very curious about this.[/INDENT]
Uh, okay. I'll check. I'll be surprised if they are interchangeable, but stranger things have happened. I've got buttons for Schaller and Grover tuners, too, and can take the button off a Seagull Ping tuner and check that, as well, while I'm at it.

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post
I sure as Hell don't...

Only once in a blue moon if I see someone with some kind of really blingy pins or the new (red?) ones for Martin. Then I just think to myself that it looks annoying and move on.
About the only time I notice is if I'm in an informal setting with another guitarist and we're passing guitars back and forth to each other. But even then I rarely notice the bridgepins, frankly.

I'm a little more alert when it comes to tuners, at least when I'm tuning a guitar!

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 AM

When I look at other people's guitars I usually just get as far as "meh, it's not a Lowden" and leave it at that.

(Oh, and just in case it's not clear.... )
Old 04-26-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
When I look at other people's guitars I usually just get as far as "meh, it's not a Lowden" and leave it at that.

(Oh, and just in case it's not clear.... )
Of course, since you're in Scotland your first reaction is likely to be:

"That's not a bagpipe - what IS that thing?"

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

A am a true guitar nerd.

I take notice of everything. Those who play older Martins/Gibsons etc., rarely mess around with pins.

Whenever I can I sit in the centre of the front row, for two reasons, one so I can watch fingers and look at the instruments, and two: to avoid the main blast of the p.a. system.

At the last gig I attended , I found myself sitting next to an old friend and many time picking partner. We spent a considerable time discussing whether Grant Gordy was playing an OM18 or a 00018.

What do you think?

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-26-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 AM

I'd say it's a 000.

a) Martin don't make an OM-18
b) it has the larger pickguard of the 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion