The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM

I used to be a Fender Medium player, but I have moved up to the heavys, .88 to 1.00 and not just the plastic/tort, but I also use the Tusq heavys/warm .88 to 1.00 from GraphTech. I have found that the heavier picks have helped me with strumming accuracy and I'm not just banging away like I used to with the mediums !!!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM

When i use a pick ( which i seldom do any more ) typically its a very old fender medium - have some of them from the good old days

I bought my daughters friend a pick punch a couple of years ago -
which uses recycled plastic as picks - i was told old credit cards work great !
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Through the years, I have gone through thousands of celluloid, then Tortex, then Ultex picks. (351 shape, usually 1 mm)
I now have three Charmed Life picks, Black, Brown, and casein (also a great Ellington record) and they all play great. (Very nice and personal service, too.) The idea of a $30 pick that might last longer than a $30 bag of picks didn't seem crazy to me.
On electric guitar, I have never wavered from celluloid or premium celluloid heavy.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Most common pick used by acoustic guitar players?

All of them. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-15-2019, 08:42 AM

My observation has been that strictly strummers tend to stick w/something close to what they started with, e.g. a teardrop pick of medium or softer gauge. Dedicated flatpickers (who have any kind of contact with other like minded folks) generally spend a copious amount of time experimenting with all sorts of picks and tend to gravitate toward stiffer, heavier picks.
I'm in the latter group & play mostly Dunlop Primetone sculpted large 1.5mm triangles & Blue Chip TAD & TAD1R 60s, all w/right hand speed bevels for guitar & mando. Also like Pro Plec 1.5mm rounded triangles w/no bevel for lower volume/mellower mando playing.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Hi DYo

Over the past 50 years I've played with lots of players, and the best I've played with probably used picks in the .80mm-1.2mm range. I used to keep a 1.2mm Red Bear in the studio (with speed bevels cut into two tips) for times we needed to beef up the tone of a pick for recordings.

These were players who selectively used picks, and knew what nuances a particular weight, shape, and profile would produce with their hand on the pick.

The best three if I single them out use about a 1.4mm-1.6mm picks. The best jazz player (more versatile as both soloist and backing guitar) carries a pocket full of picks.

Most of the better ones prefer picks with a speed bevel. Tortoise shell picks used to produce this bevel naturally as they wore in/out, but modern picks are very hard, so the speed bevel is cut into the tip.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 AM

I alternate between Fender Mediums and the ultra-rare RedJoker hide. I wouldn't suggest anyone else try that material though...
Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Not just a "Fender medium" pick, but a "351 Fender medium"

Started with those, and it is like the perfect plectrum! At least for me.

However, I've gone to the source: D'Andrea. I started with Fender medium way back. Then some Martin brand picks showed up in the pick barrel at the local music and somehow I liked them better. I think the Martins were a little stiffer. Otherwise, same 351 shape and same celluloid material Then I moved and couldn't find Martin brand picks for several years at the stores in my new area. Until on-line shopping and Amazon. Decided to try some D'Andrea because I could get a gross for what seem like pocket change. And lo!, they seem exactly like those Martin picks I used to get! Turns out, D'Andrea manufactured most everybody's celluloid picks back in the day (late '60, early '70 for me). So now I always get a 351 D'Andrea

I did make the mistake of get a 351 assort color mixture last order. For some reason, for me it's got to be tortoise shell celluloid. The confetti color, with the splash of red, white, and blue, grabs my eye with that flash of white when I'm playing. Too distracting!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Guest 429

Fender medium, yes. But for me these days...Fender medium 355 large triangle...yes, celluloid.

I settled on the Fender medium 355 large triangle after reading that this is what Mícheál Ó Domhnaill (The Bothy Band) used for a pick. He also played a lot of fingerstyle. I tried it and really liked it. Its works well with the Irish Trad and Irish Trad-inspired guitar I play.

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-16-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Fender mediums have served my needs since 1960.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2 View Post
Fender mediums have served my needs since 1960.
Bingo, that's the one.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Bingo, [Fender Medium's] the one.
Shine your phone flashlight into the corners of a stinky little dive-bar stage, and that's what you'll find.

Couch Standards
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM

For me it depends which guitar(s) respond best to whichever pick thickness and material. I favour a brighter tone and my picks vary; Tortex .88, Ultex .88 and 1.00 are my usual choice, standard teardrop shape.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 AM

I don't think there is a most popular pick. There appears to be hundreds of variations.

I used Fender 346 celluloid picks for years. Mediums.

Over the past couple of years I started to explore. There are many to choose from. New materials are showing up steadily. I recently tried D'andrea's new Radex pick. Fender's new Tortuga.

Then, there is a sort of retro movement happening. I am not a trend follower but there is always the possibility of a new pick being the one.

It seems it is a relationship. Guitar, strings, pick ( size, shape, material, thickness,). What is interesting is that chasing a tone can be so elusive.

Tortoise shell tone is a holy grail of sorts. Only we can't do tortoise shell anymore . ( I am just fine with that. I want no part of contributing to the extinction of any of God's creatures.)

What is so surprising to me is that with all the space age materials produced, so few are any where near close to tortoise shell tone. The are some good tone picks available. But only the casein and celluloid produce the kind of warmness many folks are after. Both of these materials are pretty old school and may not be around in the future.

I really don't favor any one pick material these days. I still like celluloid in a 346 shape, heavy. I like the warmth of casein, again in a 346 shape heavy.

At times, the Dunlop Ultex suits me, 346, .88-1.14.

Much depends on strings used, where strings are in their life cycle, the song I am singing.

And what side of the bed I woke up on.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 AM

You asked what we use and why. My #1 is Ultex .88mm and 1.0mm. I like the warmish tone, the way it slides off the strings and how it sticks to my thumb and finger. Followed by Primetone in those same sizes. Yes I do like Fender, but the Heavy first then Medium.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion