The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Smile iPad Pro stereo recording - which mics & audio interface?

I'm basically a novice at recording but am interested in recording myself playing fingerstyle acoustic guitar (Taylor 314ce). I enjoy posting instrumentals for my friends on social media and at some point may even consider including vocals. I have been using my 12.9 inch iPad Pro, Garageband, and an iRig Mic Studio USB microphone for about 1.5 years and for the most part I've been satisfied with this. I would like to continue using the iPad Pro but am now interested in purchasing an audio interface and paired microphones for stereo recording of my guitar and perhaps vocals. My understanding is that the recording quality would be improved and my recording options expand using a audio interface (perhaps at some point I will use my desktop PC although I don't like the noise). I've narrowed down my choice of audio interfaces to either the new Roland Rubix 22 or the Steinberg UR22 MkII. Both cost $150 and appear to work well with with Apple IOS. As far as microphones, I am pretty sure that I should get a pair of small-diaphragm condenser mics. The boss (wife) says I can spend about $300 on both the audio interface and mics. So that leaves me with a budget of around $150 for the paired mics (although I might find an additional $50 in my piggy bank). Any comments/suggestions regarding mics and my choice of audio interfaces would be helpful.
One additional question - I don't know if its possible, but couldn't I record in stereo using a single mic and directly inputting the guitar's builtin internal pickup? If so, would a single small or large small- or large-diaphragm condenser mic be better? Would this be as good as using two mics?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:42 PM

I'm sure the heavy hitters will respond shortly, here's my 2 cents.

The Steinberg and Focusrite seem to get top billing in this price range. You might see which provides the better recording software, especially given the limitations of Garageband on the iPad. For example, I was not able to record two tracks at once onto Garageband, maybe someone will tell me I can (or how). There are many multi track recording software apps for iOS.

One recurring theme in recording is the importance of the mic and the interface. I'd propose you get one good mic rather than 2 of lesser quality. You can always do a mic plus your onboard pickup for two channels.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
...[snip]...I'd propose you get one good mic rather than 2 of lesser quality...[snip]....
With a $300 budget you are going to have to choose wisely in order to get any improvement over your current setup. What's more important to you, getting a step up in gear or ability to record in stereo? You may not get both.

Interfaces such as Focusrite are readily available used.
If you choose to use up the rest of your budget on a single mic you might want to consider the Oktava MK-012 (it's an sdc). It's around $215 on sale new, and they are pretty available used.
Line Audio CM3 mics seem to get good reviews (I haven't used them) and they may be a good fit for your budget.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 03-07-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 PM

I have the Scarlet Solo. I was going to buy the bundle package, but the nice pros at Washington Music Center said, "Hey we can do a better package for the same price." I ended up with the Scarlet Solo, an AKG P-120 Condenser Mic, Audio Technica M30x headphones, a decent boom stand and 20' xlr cable for the price of the Focusrite package. I am a decent, but inexpensive set of monitors away from completing my low budget studio. (For now....).

So far, I am not disappointed. I've bought a 2nd P-120, a Shure SM58 Dynamic mic, a couple of shock mounts from Amazon and another boom stand since. I needed another mic for recording drums and the SM58 for singing with my Loudbox Artist amp.

The only thing I would change is getting an interface with more XLR inputs.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:41 AM

Thank you for your responses and I agree that my budget makes its difficult to both have a step up in gear and record in stereo. I do believe its smart that I move away from a USB mic system and get an audio interface, even if the mic(s) I purchase provides no real improvement in my current setup. Although I'm leaning toward getting one "good" mic (not sure if I should get a small- or large-diaphragm condenser mic), what do you think about these paired stereo mic options that all cost around $200? -Rode M5, AKG P170, or Audio Technica AT2020.

Christopher
Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Cool Focusrite Scarlett Series

Any of the Focusrite Scarlett units will do you great for the money they cost .

There's a 2 Gen.open box 2i4 for $144.00 at Pro Star Audio. I have a 6i6 .
I bargained it down to $200.00 , so there are deals to be had if you time it just right .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Check out the Apogee One. You can get them for between $150-200 used/refurbed. LDC built in that sounds pretty good (it's a kind of harsh but not super bright like most of the cheap Chinese mics) and a break out cable that will allow another mic. You can hook it up to your iPad.

I cannot think of a mic below $100 that I would recommend other than an SM57.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:30 AM

I needed something to mix my drums and I ended up with a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404 4 channel interface for 100 bucks. I'll let you how it is, i haven't used it yet. You may not need 4 channels, but...you know...100 bucks. LOL

Last edited by Johnny K; 03-10-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks Johnny for your input. The Behringer looks interesting and I do love the price. However, I need something that can definitely interface with my iPad Pro in addition to a PC/Mac and there are not many audio interfaces out there that advertise doing this. I am leaning toward getting the new Roland Rubix22 2x2 ($130 with coupons) and two AKG p170 small diaphragm condenser microphones ($178 with coupons). I too am "just another old fart who plays guitar."
Old 03-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Just out of curiosity, why is connecting via the ipad pro a priority?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Hi Jim, I do not have a desktop PC at a location that would be suitable for recording (plus I'm worried about fan noise). I also don't own a laptop. I am familiar with using the iPad and have had good luck using it to record guitar with a single USB mic. Plus its portable. If money were not limiting, I do think that purchasing a laptop would be a good option. It would certainly be compatible with most audio interfaces.
Christopher
Old 03-10-2018, 04:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I recently purchaed a PreSonus AudioBox2 which comes with serious software for the desktop as well as a stereo input software system specifically for the iPad Pro. Sounds like what you’re asking for. Sweetwater sells it for $150. I got it for less on eBay. The box itself has 2 XLR inputs with phantom power. I previously used an Alessis I/o2, which I still have and works fine but doesn’t interface as well with the iPad. If there is a known problem with my new system I haven’t encountered or heard of it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Antigen- I put together a system with the Steinberg UR22mark II to do just this. I am using an IPad Pro and Auria. You will need the camera/usb accessory cable and you will also need to connect a separate power supply to the interface. The system works very well, the least portable thing about it is the mike stands!

The UR22 cost about $150. I think I got mine from Amazon.

Rick
Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 AM

I have the Steinberg UR22 MkII paired with Cubasis.

I am very satisfied with the recordings. Plus Cubasis comes with other quality MIDI instruments. Cubasis was $24.99 when I downloaded though it may be a little more now. I also use a Superlux S241 small condenser mic.

That above package is about $300

My next purchase will be a better mic and I'm eyeing the Roda NT2A.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
Thanks Johnny for your input. The Behringer looks interesting and I do love the price. However, I need something that can definitely interface with my iPad Pro in addition to a PC/Mac and there are not many audio interfaces out there that advertise doing this. I am leaning toward getting the new Roland Rubix22 2x2 ($130 with coupons) and two AKG p170 small diaphragm condenser microphones ($178 with coupons). I too am "just another old fart who plays guitar."
You're welcome. My wife was telling me the other day they make a USB to Lightning cable now. Would this work?

One downside to the Behringer (if that is your only choice) and probabaly why it is cheaper than the Scarlet products; no bundled software. I got Ableton Live 9 Lite with the Solo and a stripped down ProTools. I use the Ableton. And you have to go to their website to download the drivers for mac or pc. One thing it does have that trumps my Solo are the balanced outs for studio monitors. Those are next on the list of purchases. The Solo only has 1/4 RCAs. The 2i2 does have them.

Did you get (2) P170s for 178 or is that each. I have (2) P120s that together cost me about 200 bucks.

FWIW, I also have an I-Rig Pre HD. That is made for Iphone and Ipad. I use my fishman loudox as a 2 channel mixer (it has 2 balanced XLR inputs on it) and send the signal to the I Rig using the Direct Out on the amp so i can record 2 inputs at the same time. Their is an obvious downside to that though.

Last edited by Johnny K; 03-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
audio interface, ipad, microphones, recording guitar, stereo mic