The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM

Nice to hear about the HD. I've had two older versions of the Strobo-Clip and two versions of the Strobo-Stomp on my pedal boards. There's nothing better for me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-25-2018, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I loathed my StroboClip, maybe OK while you're sitting quietly in your kitchen, but so fussy it was virtually unusable when 'playing out'. So I stuck with my TC Electronics Polyclip. But the StroboClip HD is a completely different animal, much more 'stable' in use than the original tuner, bigger and brighter display, and a generally more 'substantial' look and feel. My only complaint is that, whereas the original StroboClip came in a very nice, strong tin box with plenty of protective padding, the new StroboClip HD has nothing for carrying it around in.

FWIW, I use MAN for my mandolin, DAD for guitar in DADGAD, and GTR for acoustic guitar in standard tuning. The ACU tuning is OK if I'm capoed but, playing un-capoed, particularly in first position, the guitar is audibly out of tune, and clashes with other band-members' instruments. GTR seems a very good compromise between the two modes of playing.

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that info, Goodallboy and JayBee. I thought the GTR was primarily for electrics because of the 3rd-string differences. I don't think I've tried that one yet. I'll do that.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Thanks for that info, Goodallboy and JayBee. I thought the GTR was primarily for electrics because of the 3rd-string differences. I don't think I've tried that one yet. I'll do that.
I'd be interested to hear what you think about it, Kerbie - I'm still playing around and trying to assess the best sweeteners for my purposes. The views of others are helpful and welcome!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM

How are these for live use?

I retune quite a bit live - I play in Std, Drop D, Open G, Open D, DADGAD & DADEAD (and occasionally Open C and CGCGCD!) at some gigs - so a tuner is my most important bit of kit after my guitar, capo and thumbpick!

I have a few festival gigs coming up where I need to be able to plug in quick and have minimal fuss so I'm wondering about taking along a headstock tuner - is the peterson too accurate for easy live use?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM

I bought the clip on Strobe a couple of years back. I didn't hear much difference with the sweetened tuning, found the tuner difficult to use compared to my trusty Snark, and returned it. A couple months ago I read about the new HD version, saw them on sale, and bought another. Seems like the improved version is much easier to use. The display is more stable. I still don't hear a huge difference, but I recorded samples using both standard and sweetened tuning (ACU). Just strumming, as I am a rhythm player. Listening to the recordings I heard more string separation and an overall cleaner sound with the sweetened tuning. FWIW
Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Just picked up the Stroboclip HD. Wow. I'm a huge fan of the sweetened tunings, particularly the ACU. I didn't really think it would make this much of a difference, but it is huge! Big improvement over the Snark I have been using.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have one of the original Stroboclips and it is a great tuner. I haven't tried the HD though. I have gotten so used to the TC Polytunes but the sweetened tunings are not anything I have tried yet. I will have to check it out one of these days.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have one of the original Stroboclips and it is a great tuner. I haven't tried the HD though. I have gotten so used to the TC Polytunes but the sweetened tunings are not anything I have tried yet. I will have to check it out one of these days.

Best,
Jayne
I have an original Stroboclip and I bought the HD to try. I have to say that I MUCH PREFER the Polytune, of which I have three. Easily the best tuners I’ve ever had. Number 2 at home is the Peterson app.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I'm a huge fan of the sweetened tunings, particularly the ACU.
Yeah, that's the one that I keep coming back to also. Thanks for all the replies. Still curious if anyone uses any other tunings, but I appreciate the opinions. Certainly is a remarkable tuner.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Can't wait to try the HD. I also have the Petersen app on my iPhone. Works great...and I don't have to carry a tuner with me.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 AM

That would be TAS Tuner Aquisition Syndrome. 😂
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Five? Wow, you ARE a happy camper! Thanks for the info.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
That would be TAS Tuner Aquisition Syndrome. 😂
TAS... I like that! And the Peterson can do that to you.

I don't think I've picked up my other tuners since I got the Peterson. I believe all their batteries are now dead.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I loathed my StroboClip, maybe OK while you're sitting quietly in your kitchen, but so fussy it was virtually unusable when 'playing out'. So I stuck with my TC Electronics Polyclip. But the StroboClip HD is a completely different animal, much more 'stable' in use than the original tuner, .
This was my exact experience with the stroboclip.
Loved it at home on the couch. found it unusable at a gig.
Is your newer HD less sensitive in a loud crowd setting?
I honestly could not use mine when playing out.
I use a polytune 3 in my pedalboard . it seems to
work ok. slightly unresponsive with the low E though.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This was my exact experience with the stroboclip.
Loved it at home on the couch. found it unusable at a gig.
Is your newer HD less sensitive in a loud crowd setting?
I honestly could not use mine when playing out.
I use a polytune 3 in my pedalboard . it seems to
work ok. slightly unresponsive with the low E though.
I find the HD is **better** in a noisy setting than my ' Original' StroboClip, but it's not as stable as my Polytune. I use the HD at home and at, for instance, a folk club where I'm assured a bit of quiet, but for sessions, gigs etc., where I'm tuning whilst other 'stuff' is going on, I use my Polytune Clip if unplugged, and I have a Polytune 2 Mini on my pedal-board - both work fine.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion