The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Just curious did you moisten the suction cup before you put it on the guitar.
If it needs moisture, would a lite touch of guitar polish work ?
If you use Turtle wax Renew Rx Scratch and Swirl Remover, or E-Z-R Scratch Away. I use both on the final hand rub on guitars I refinish, it gives a smooth High Gloss finish.

Ed
Old 05-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
We love the NeckUp straps, been selling, and using them since they first came out. They are especially handy with the smaller travel guitars we sell. In fact we supply one at no cost with all Blackbird Riders. A big thumbs up for NeckUp.
HI Ted

They are great with mini-jumbo and Dreadnoughts too (and OM). That covers my herd.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 AM

Default I have one for approx a week

And I must say I have simillar experience to many. after bit adjusting a getting used to, i am wondering how i could ever play without it. much better than stool. also, i have open pore (satin) finish on my guitar, so i used the duralar sheet. works very well and just today, i replace it ( since i put the first one way forward) and there is no mark no nothing after removing it.
great job, Neckup.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 06-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Eric Skye

I cannot play without mine at all. It saved my back, and my left arm.

I was dealing with golfers elbow on and off for a long time before I got the neck-up about six years ago. I haven’t had arm problems since.

It did affect the nitro finish over time on one of my two 00’s more than the other (different formulations maybe?) but it’s not really an issues to me. Just had my guy buff it in a few times over the years so it continues to stick. And if the finish looks a little smudgey on a spot I don’t see anyway....
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I cannot play without mine at all. It saved my back, and my left arm.

I was dealing with golfers elbow on and off for a long time before I got the neck-up about six years ago. I haven’t had arm problems since.

It did affect the nitro finish over time on one of my two 00’s more than the other (different formulations maybe?) but it’s not really an issues to me. Just had my guy buff it in a few times over the years so it continues to stick. And if the finish looks a little smudgey on a spot I don’t see anyway....
actually, first time i saw it was in one of your videos, ( I am playing again after ten years or so,) while I was using standard stool , I did little digging and seemed to me best option. most amazing to me is, that nobody distributes this in EU, nor even make some offshoot, since its a guitar strap with suction cup and pocket after all. so i paid extra for the shipping and tariffs, but its worthed every dolar.

Furch Blue OM CM
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
You can always shoot Diego de Oro an email to see what he recommends for your guitar and finish.
I ended up getting one of those supports, chiefly because they were considerably cheaper (thanks to a sale and very low shipping costs), something I couldn't ignore given that I wasn't certain how well this kind of support would work for me.

I should have gone for the flamenco version with its leather strap and slightly narrower frame (which would still be too wide for my guitar) but the thing works well enough with a thin piece of leather on my (left) leg.

The only drawback compared to playing with a strap as I did before is that I can no longer tap the beat with my left leg (and somewhat less with my right leg too), and I often end up blocking the circulation in that leg (undoubtedly due to the chair I sit on). But my neck and shoulders are grateful!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:00 PM

I like the NeckUp, but when I used it on my six-month-old Martin Modern Deluxe, it left a scar on the finish when I forget to remove it one night. It took less than 12 hours. The hazy circle won’t come out with polish.
I’ve read the stories here from people who used the stick-on plastic film, but I won’t try it until I hear from someone who’s used it successfully on a new, high-end Martin.
Till then, I can’t recommend the NeckUp to anyone who cares about their instrument’s finish.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLauden View Post
I like the NeckUp, but when I used it on my six-month-old Martin Modern Deluxe, it left a scar on the finish when I forget to remove it one night. It took less than 12 hours. The hazy circle won’t come out with polish.
I’ve read the stories here from people who used the stick-on plastic film, but I won’t try it until I hear from someone who’s used it successfully on a new, high-end Martin.
Till then, I can’t recommend the NeckUp to anyone who cares about their instrument’s finish.
I’m sorry for the haziness on your guitar. You posted today on two old threads so I’ll place my comments here too. I use mine on my 1930’s Martins, French Polished Brazilian classicals, Borges, Sexauer, Franklins, PreWarGuitar company, Martin Authentics, etc. Larry, above uses it on his $30K Olsen, and min7b5 uses it on his Signature Eric Skye guitars. Simply use the Cling Vinyl and follow the instructions on the NeckUp. It clearly warns of potential nitrocellulose damage. Or buy some Cling here:

https://smile.amazon.com/Grafix-9-In...A3SBDOAENTRT1F
Old 11-25-2022, 07:04 PM

I've been using the Neck Up for a year or so. It has left suction cup marks on my 000-42 Martin. Partly my fault as I forgot to take it off one time and left it on for a couple days. But I do continue to use the Neck up and I find that I can more readily play bar cords and in general makes left hand use easier. Also, it helps keep a good posture while playing. I don't like the ring marks, but the 000-42 is my lifetime guitar and I am not too worried about it. Maybe I should have used the clear sheets. Lastly I would caution about getting the left arm/ shoulder too high. I have shoulder problems I have to make sure I take the time to get it at a comfortable height. This may be just a personal issue that I have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion