The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Great review - thanks!! Beautiful guitar, by the way!!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 AM

Love the Neck Up. I wax good quality beeswax in turps over the rim where the silicone cups would adhere and have not had any problems with nitro finsihed or French Polished guitars. Don't leave the suckers on and you'd be fine.

Not for vegans though. All parts are replaceable. For the person who broke the Plexiglass insert, you could buy another from Neck Up.

It reminds me to get another one, a shorter 4" version.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 AM

One solution that totally avoids sucrion cups unlike the neck up, de oro lr the tenuto is the sagework guitar support which relies on rare earth magnets.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 AM

I bought one but it doesn't work for my style of playing.

I hold the guitar at a angle, look up Freddy Green. I like to keep the back free to get just a little more volume.

It is well made.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the info fellas, I used to use a foot stool but I have a dodgy back and after 10 mins of playing It was doing me in...

I've bought a new chair and done away with the foot rest which has helped with my back but maybe it's resulting in the guitars moving more because of the angle of my leg.

I'll take a look at the neck-up but I might take some persuading sticking a sucker on my early FG180-1...

Best

Mick
Old 08-30-2018, 02:38 PM

I injured my back in work a few years ago. (blown disc, pinching nerve down my left leg) I picked up two neck-up straps (one for my classical and one for my larger steel strings). They have worked out great , especially for the classical as raising my left leg for any length of time was not happening.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 PM

I’m another fan of the NeckUp. Never had a problem with the suction cups and various finishes, but I always take it off when I’m finished playing. I had to use the Mylar sheet on a Waterloo since the suction cup doesn’t work well on the Waterloo finish (WL-S). I’m hoping the Mylar sheet doesn’t cause any problems since I’ve left in on for a couple of months.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I’m another fan of the NeckUp. Never had a problem with the suction cups and various finishes, but I always take it off when I’m finished playing. I had to use the Mylar sheet on a Waterloo since the suction cup doesn’t work well on the Waterloo finish (WL-S). I’m hoping the Mylar sheet doesn’t cause any problems since I’ve left in on for a couple of months.
I removed the mylar sheet off a Collings OM1A after it had been on for 2 years. I got a corner going and just rubbed denatured alcohol along the edge as I very SLOWLY peeled it back and off. No issues, no marks at all on the finish.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Thanks. Good to know it won’t be a problem.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
One solution that totally avoids sucrion cups unlike the neck up, de oro lr the tenuto is the sagework guitar support which relies on rare earth magnets.

Thanks for reminding me - I needed to order a second one for my Huss & Dalton 00. I already use one on my classical guitar. Personally, I don't care for the suction cup means of attachment because they can come loose unexpectedly and then there is the risk of leaving marks. The Sagework support is VERY secure and doesn't leave marks. It also goes on and off easily. There are times when spending a bit more money is well worth it, and this is one of them.

I should add that you can just order an extra set of magnets for each guitar, and then use the one support across all your guitars. However, there is a short version of the support, and I wanted one of each for different situations. Then, I can swap the short or normal sized version between my guitars. I also have a 12 fret 000, a William Kelday, but that is large enough to not need a support at all.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
... denatured alcohol ...
I'd make very certain about the possible effects of alcohol on the finish before getting any near the instrument!

Most sticky things come off more easily with a bit of gentle heat, and I recently learned that vegetable (cooking) oil can also help.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Default NeckUp Guitar Support - leaving a mark

Greetings! I like the feel of the NeckUp a lot, but the suction cup has left this mark on my d-28 that I haven't been able to remove with either Gibson or Martin polish. Any suggestions (besides using a different support)?
Thanks,
Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_211102947.jpg (21.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_211340750.jpg (23.7 KB, 128 views)
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 AM

and besides saying something like "suck it up"?

I think a luthier should be able to retouch the finish on the guitar or at least know how to buff it out without removing too much of it.

I don't know if static protection film is "not recommended" for Martin's finish but if it isn't it might well make this trace a lot less visible (just like WD40 can hide small blemishes in plastics - but I would NOT recommend that here ).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

They're really neat and I'd love to use one but my Brook Torridge does not have a strap button on the end and I don't want to destroy the originality of the guitar. I think there's another type that uses suction cups but I just saw a post about the them leaving a mark in the finish. Guess I'll have to stick with a footstool .
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM

You can always shoot Diego de Oro an email to see what he recommends for your guitar and finish. Or dig through the posts on here, I'm pretty certain I read one describing a solution that uses magnets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion