The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Default Guild CO-1

I'm thinking of buying a Guild CO-1 (used from Elderly Instruments). Can anyone out there tell me about the neck profile? The nut is 1 3/4", which is a must have for me. I prefer a mod-V like my Martin OM-28V or soft-V like my Collings.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Some of these had issues, but if you get one that didn't this series is a great guitar for the $. I have 2, one with cutaway and one without and they sound and play great and are excellent value.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB59 View Post
Some of these had issues, but if you get one that didn't this series is a great guitar for the $. I have 2, one with cutaway and one without and they sound and play great and are excellent value.
Elderly is a very reputable dealer so the set up should be good. It's a 2004 so there's been time for trouble to develop if it's going to.
I want to keep the Collings in DADGAD and one guitar (MArtin or Guild?) tuned a full step lower (DGCFAD).

Any thoughts on the neck profile?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM

I played one at a shop in Oxnard or Van Nyes I think. I really liked it. Nice deep tones. I really didn't feel much difference in the neck profile over the other Guilds I tried. I wish I could find a nice one at a good price.

Just make sure it isn't a " 2nd " guitar with a "used" stamp in the back of the head stock or a sticker with a new number over the original serial number spot.

These guitars were Guild's attempt at a modern bolt on neck and they didn't always get it right. Some of those errors were released by Fender as " 2nd " instruments.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Just make sure it isn't a " 2nd " guitar with a "used" stamp in the back of the head stock or a sticker with a new number over the original serial number spot.

The neck profile on my Tacoma Guild CO-2 is a comfortable full C profile with a 1 3/4"nut. No problems at all with this guitar and it's very unique patented neck attachment system. The guitar plays, looks and sounds wonderful.! And yes it is one of the "USED" stamped guitars recirculated through the secondary refurbished market.. It is so minty new looking and all Guild stellar sunburst sweet for a pinch under a grand . Good luck with yours.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

There were some with problems relating to the neck angle and adjustment, which might be able to be corrected, but there were also some with twisted necks. a very nice guitar when they are good, but I do not think i would purchase one without your own personal inspection...

Sad thing is that they actually released those bad pieces into the market...just because there are not visible blemishes does not make a good guitar.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Smile Guild CO-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I played one at a shop in Oxnard or Van Nyes I think. I really liked it. Nice deep tones. I really didn't feel much difference in the neck profile over the other Guilds I tried. I wish I could find a nice one at a good price.

These guitars were Guild's attempt at a modern bolt on neck and they didn't always get it right. Some of those errors were released by Fender as " 2nd " instruments.
I have one for sale £850 uk. i LIVE IN BLACKPOOL. None of these issues afforementioned Just make sure it isn't a " 2nd " guitar with a "used" stamp in the back of the head stock or a sticker with a new number over the original serial number spot. Original not remade !
Old 06-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwstout View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Guild CO-1 (used from Elderly Instruments). Can anyone out there tell me about the neck profile? The nut is 1 3/4", which is a must have for me. I prefer a mod-V like my Martin OM-28V or soft-V like my Collings.
Neck radius is 12 inch all the way up and down the neck
Old 06-02-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB59 View Post
I have a CO-1 and this is my go to as it does everything great projection and great interactive body vibration ... Great value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion