The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco1 View Post
Why not get a "real" parlor guitar? Take a look at Steve Chipman's vintageparlorguitars.com. He has, or can readily build you a guitar to fit your needs, and be in the range of your budget. Steve is very capable and easy to work with.
That's what I would do, talk to Steve at http://vintageparlorguitars.com/
Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 PM

This one is way below your price range, but I played a Fender CP-100 a year or so ago. It was around $100 and I was very impressed. I don't know if the top is solid or not, nor did I care...it sounded so good and had a very light finish on it...the guitar could breathe nicely. I normally wouldn't even look at a Fender Acoustic...I've never liked them, but there was something about that guitar. I wish I had plunked down the $100. :-(

'00 Tacoma DM9
'08 Alvarez PJ85SC-12DVS
'18 Guild F150CE
Several Harmony Stellas in various states of playability
'13 Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute
'85 Squier Stratocaster MIJ
Old 04-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Hard to go wrong with a Larrivee, but within your budget, finding one might take some time.

If you run across an old Vega(circa 1900), mine, with a nice hard shell, was well within your budget. It's potato chip lite, and has a nice parlor sound. It's kinda special to grab something that old, and playable, and pick out some aged tunes. They don't have adjustable truss rods, so neck angle is critical imo.

For $50 I got an old Stella parlor, that's no joke when it comes to warm mellow tone, and it's actually quite playable. You'll get picked on for it tho.

Enjoy your search.

'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Wow, what a Pandora’s box I’ve opened up. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I had no idea there were so many choices at this price point. Guess I’m not the only wannabe parlor fan.

I need to lace up my running shoes and hit the shops I guess.

Thanks again,
Roger
Old 04-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Its not a parlor but the Eastman ACTG1 is pretty nice for its cost $320 $350. Its all solid wood top, back and sides
Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 PM

I just ordered a Breedlove Discovery Series Concertina in Whisky Burst from MF. It is ~$400 MSRP and about $300 regularly, but I took advantage of the 15% off code. (ended yesterday)

It is their replacement for the Parlor size. It has 12 frets to the body, their new headstock design, and is solid Sitka topped with Mahogany B/S. I played one and was really impressed with tone, clarity, and volume. Since it is intended as a travel guitar, I wanted something that I wouldn't cry too hard if something happened.

It isn't here yet, but if the sound matches the looks, I'll be happy.

...OBTW, the MF version comes with a hard shell case.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 AM

My Eastman E1P-Ltd cost me a smidge over $600 and I love it, but they're not making them any more. There is the new Eastman E1OOSS-LTD but it's a bit over budget at around $799 and not strictly a parlour guitar. I also have an Ibanez parlor which is a fun little guitar but it's no match for my Eastman.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the A&L Roadhouse parlor yet but you might want to give that a look. Or perhaps the Loar LH204?

It might also be worth noting that Elderly Instruments lists a solid sitka / laminated mahogany parlor in their Farida Old Town series (the OT12) for $423. I'm interested in these myself, but I've never even seen a photo of one so perhaps they're not available yet. The Old Town guitars do seem to be well regarded though, so the OT12 might be another option (eventually).
Old 06-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Keepin' this thread alive!

This past week I stopped by a nearby shop and tried a few guitars. My fave of the day was this Ibanez AVN9OPN - easy playability (neck is nice and wide), open pore finish, torrefied top, sweet tone.

FWIW, they also had a Faith Mercury Scoop (parlor with a funky partial cutaway) - I preferred the Ibanez! It doesn't hurt that it costs only half of what the Faith was going for!

Last edited by personatech; 06-02-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Listen to my Fender PM-2, all solid mahogany, bone, bone, rosewood fretboard, nice checkered purfling, lined fretboard, but remember, it's a 12-fret.

After playing a dread it's like a baby in your arms.

When I bought the PM-2, I almost bought an Ibanez AVN2OPN, a real beast of a tiny box, all hog, all the goodies, with a body depth equal to my D-18. You can find a few left by just doing a search for "AVN2OPN for sale."

What tilted me to the fender is the perfect-fit hardshell case that Fender includes. With the Ibanez, you are on your own.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 PM

This is a cool resource: https://parlor.guitars/list

+1 on the Blueridge BR if you define parlor as small body but it feels much bigger than my Martin 0-15. It’s also MUCH louder. Chunky neck and wide nut aren’t for all but I love mine. Got the rosewood blinged 371 flavor used.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
I’m interested in exploring the concept of a parlor guitar, just for fun. Never owned one, and not sure it’s my thing, but I’d like to give it a shot.

Any recommendations for something that sounds decent (subjective I know) in the $450 to $600 range. I’d like at least a solid top, probably mahogany body, but not sure. I dont need electronics.

What’s out there these days?

Thanks,
Roger
So I have either owned or tried many of the items listed and some not listed:

Blueridge BR - 341 (technically a 00 with a nice thick chunky neck ... tone for days.. can be had used within your price range). Here are a couple of clips of mine:

In this clip I ab it against my Martin 00 - 28 and it holds it's own
https://youtu.be/KZRDc-EoteE

Eastman E20p ( I owned 2 of them at one point...might have to go slightly up to pick up a good condition one for around 650 - 700.

https://youtu.be/5m1EZEwTrfQ

https://youtu.be/c8dk67Jn_Qk

Alvarez Ap66
https://youtu.be/bS_E59uVkCs

Alvarez Ap610
https://youtu.be/1NBhRihrylw

Recording King RP 06 (got it for around 200 and it surprised the hell out of me)
https://youtu.be/6iSeRySOfGE

As you can see...lots of choices and buying used can be even a better option. Good luck with your search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion