The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the responses regarding Polytune vs. Snark. Sounds like the Polytune is definitely superior to the Snark. Fifty clams, though. Yipes! Then there is the Peterson Strobotune clip for just ten bucks more than that.

Hmm... I also see that Sweetwater has the Unitune (all the goodness of the polytune, but without the "poly" function for just 30 dollars.

A question for those who have tried 'em all: Since I am not in need of the poly function, which would be the better clip-on tuner as an improvement over the Snark-- the TC Electronics Unitune, or the Peterson Stroboclip?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 PM

Sax Player Guy, as a multi-instrumentalist I own a bunch of different instruments that I gig out with, and I've found that it's just easier for me if I have a good quality electronic tuner in the case pocket of each. Not just guitars but also mandolins, banjos and mountain dulcimers.

After I bought my first TC PolyTune tuner I was so impressed with its accuracy and overall functionality that over the next year and a half I bought several more. Then Sweetwater announced their collaboration with TC to introduce the UniTune. So I bought one.

It does everything that the PolyTune does with the difference that it doesn't have the "check all the strings at once" function. But since I never used that function on the PolyTune tuners that I had, that didn't bother me in the slightest. And I REALLY appreciated the fact that it costs $20 less than the PolyTune, $30 for the UniTune versus $50 for the PolyTune.

So I've subsequently bought several of the UniTunes, and like them just fine.

The only slightly odd thing that I've noticed about the UniTune tuners is that sometimes I'll be in the process of tuning a bunch of strings in succession, like when I'm changing strings, the UniTune will sometimes just turn itself off unexpectedly.

Like it's gotten bored with the process, or something...

It's not a problem because when it does that I just reach over and turn it back on. At first I thought it might be a sign that the battery needed to be replaced, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just a quirk of this design, because it'll sometimes do that even with a brand new battery.

The main reason I mention this is that I have met some players who like to keep their clamp-on headstock tuners turned on even when they're playing, so they can constantly monitor their tuning status, I guess. If you're one of those "tuner-on-all-the-time" folks, the UniTune would probably not be a great choice for you.

But if you turn the tuner on to check the strings, then turn it off once you have, they're great tuners.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The only slightly odd thing that I've noticed about the UniTune tuners is that sometimes I'll be in the process of tuning a bunch of strings in succession, like when I'm changing strings, the UniTune will sometimes just turn itself off unexpectedly.
Wade, I think this is a feature, not a bug. The UniTune shuts off after three minutes– I timed mine. I presume this is a battery-saving feature, but I wish it were user-settable, as it's always a few seconds short for me. But it's certainly not a deal breaker. It's a fine tuner, and you can stir your coffee with it.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Wade, I think this is a feature, not a bug. The UniTune shuts off after three minutes– I timed mine. I presume this is a battery-saving feature, but I wish it were user-settable, as it's always a few seconds short for me. But it's certainly not a deal breaker. It's a fine tuner, and you can stir your coffee with it.
You're probably right about the shutoff being a deliberate feature of the tuner.

As for stirring my coffee with it, that hasn't come up for me, because I drink my coffee black. But for those who take cream and sugar in their coffee, the "you can stir your coffee with it!" function is probably an attractive feature....

whm
Old 05-31-2019, 08:59 PM

Thanks Wade and Purfle for the vote of confidence in the Unitune. Since nobody has a word for the Peterson Stroberoonie (or whatever it's called--
I've already forgotten), and since the Unitune is half the price, I will order in a Unitune and give it a go. Thirty bucks sounds okay for a clip-on tuner. Sixty sounds kind of high to me.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 AM

Love my Uni-Tune!!

Sweetwater recently dropped the price to 25 dollars.....there ya go.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 AM

Yes, the manual states that it's set to shut off after 3 minutes. Unless I'm changing strings that's a good feature for me - I'd be one of the people who forgot to shut it off.
And it's a quick start up time, so it's no problem even when changing strings.

Great tuner for $30.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-01-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
Thanks for the responses regarding Polytune vs. Snark. Sounds like the Polytune is definitely superior to the Snark. Fifty clams, though. Yipes! Then there is the Peterson Strobotune clip for just ten bucks more than that.

Hmm... I also see that Sweetwater has the Unitune (all the goodness of the polytune, but without the "poly" function for just 30 dollars.

A question for those who have tried 'em all: Since I am not in need of the poly function, which would be the better clip-on tuner as an improvement over the Snark-- the TC Electronics Unitune, or the Peterson Stroboclip?
I'm a devoted Peterson fan, using the Strobo-Stomp on my pedal board and the Strobo-Clip now since it was introduced several years ago.

I simply want the most accurate and dependable tuner available at a reasonable price. Peterson is a tuner company, they remind me of the old Conn tuners we used in high school band in the mid 60's.

If you haven't purchased yet, go to their website and I think you'll be impressed.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I simply want the most accurate and dependable tuner available at a reasonable price. Peterson is a tuner company, they remind me of the old Conn tuners we used in high school band in the mid 60's.
Thanks for the feedback, Goodallboy. Yes! I remember those old, hulking strobe tuners in the band rooms of my youth, so I am comfortable with tuning to a strobe. Also, I will admit to a certain nostalgia for the look. I also remember the feeling of satisfaction from getting those wheels to stop spinning.

I was hoping that there might be some folks on the Forum who have had both the Unitune and the Peterson Stroboclip, who could give some feedback that would tip the scale one way or the other for me. IIRC, on Amazon they both get around 4 and 1/2 Stars. So both get pretty good reviews overall, and both get their share of gripes from disgruntled one- and two-star givers.

I'm not in a big hurry to get another tuner, since I have the Snark. I do like Wade's idea, though, of having one in each case, so I will definitely get another one. I'll just give this thread another few days to see if anyone else weighs in. Maybe I should whip up a quick poll-- something like: click on your favorite clip-on tuner below, and comment on why it's your favorite?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:57 PM

I love my unitune! Mine turns off just short of being done tuning, so I need to pick up the pace!
Far more accurate than the snark and much easier to.read.
Get yours today!
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion