The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...It all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. The sky is nearly the limit on customs with Emerald.
You guys are getting me to rethink the cocobolo since my cabin in the woods retains subdued lighting. Unfortunately, the sky is not my limit....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
You guys are getting me to rethink the cocobolo since my cabin in the woods retains subdued lighting. Unfortunately, the sky is not my limit....
Unfortunately, the Emerald 'glamour shot' photos they provide while beautiful can lead to a bit of a disappointment upon opening the case the first time if not prepared for it which is why I always try to let people know when they are considering a custom. And it's not just Woody veneers either as the same applies to their colored models. Here's a photo of three of my customs - cocobolo on the left, royal ebony middle, ziricote on the right.

Without flash.

With flash.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

A modification I requested and I really like on my X30 is the string-through bridge. Strings are inserted through the soundhole from the inside, the holes are just the size of the strings. While it doesn’t make sense on a guitar with a standard sound hole, the location on Emerald guitars let you change a single string if needed.
The only limitation is the type of pickup you want... if you have an Anthem or something with lot of cables access might be an issue. I have a simple UST with MiSi preamp and no soundhole control.

Otherwise if I had to order a new guitar for function more than aesthetics I would probably go stock.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Emerald 'glamour shot' photos they provide while beautiful can lead to a bit of a disappointment upon opening the case the first time if not prepared for it which is why I always try to let people know when they are considering a custom. And it's not just Woody veneers either as the same applies to their colored models.
I think it's even MORE the case with the plain carbon models. I've had both red and amber carbon finishes and both of them were more or less black in anything but bright light. The red was like the deepest shade of purple you've ever seen and the amber was the deepest brown. Black would obviously be black (but perhaps the least disappointing!) and I've never seen a blue or green one in person, but red looks pretty bight in all the glamour shots and it's really dark in person.

I think if I ever get another Emerald (doubtful but never say never) I'd either go for one of the lighter veneers (something like your Royal Ebony which still looks really good in subdued light) or just a plain black or amber carbon, which don't really make you expect them look any different than they do...

-Ray
Old 09-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Emerald can use silver weave carbon that makes colors more vivid. It’s about 200$ extra though.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
They *might* get in the way, depending on how long your arms are, how you hold the guitar, and your playing style.

I’m a relatively normally proportioned 5’ 10” (I think ), and my picking hand is a good 2” away from the end of the fretboard in any normal playing position, sitting or standing.
Ain't no "might" in my case, so I guess you are saying I am not normally proportioned. I get your point though, the OP may need to try one before deciding.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Ain't no "might" in my case, so I guess you are saying I am not normally proportioned.
Not at all I may have T.Rex arms, for all I know

Quote:
I get your point though, the OP may need to try one before deciding.
Something of a challenge for an Emerald, as we all know. I’d say if you find yourself playing close to the base of the fretboard of a dreadnaught, you may very well experience ‘fretboard interference’ on an X20 - and if you never see yourself using those higher frets, removing 3 or 4 of them might be a wise precaution to avoid potential disappointment.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM

I prefer K&K pickups in my guitars so I can use a single outboard preamp. Less mass in/on the guitar, a cleaner look and a single outboard preamp/battery for all my instruments (fire eye) really simplifies things for me.

And the K&K sounds fantastic. With a good preamp that lets the pickup operate un-loaded. Like 75-85% of mic'd tone with a little reverb through a decent PA or amp.

I agree stock neck on my X7 is fantastic for fingerstyle and does well with everything else I throw at it too.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Emerald 'glamour shot' photos they provide while beautiful can lead to a bit of a disappointment upon opening the case the first time if not prepared for it which is why I always try to let people know when they are considering a custom. And it's not just Woody veneers either as the same applies to their colored models. Here's a photo of three of my customs - cocobolo on the left, royal ebony middle, ziricote on the right.

Without flash.

With flash.

These are interesting photos, very surprised at how much different they look with/without flash!

Can't recall if anyone has built with a spruce top, which might have less variation.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Guest 928

That Royal Ebony is nothing short of gorgeous.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
How pricey an option is that??? Thanks to all of you for some great suggestions...
They charged $200 for mine. I think a fretboard end modification is the same price regardless of the design.

I had a custom neck profile done on mine (mimic the Taylor standard carve) and I love it. Pricey though - $450.

Having a satin neck finish is a no-cost option.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Guest 928

My first few Emeralds were in black or red CF. Since then I've found the veneers to be irresistible and reasonably priced.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
My first few Emeralds were in black or red CF. Since then I've found the veneers to be irresistible and reasonably priced.
It seems real easy to inch ones way into large sums by adding this and that option. After doing a lot of soul searching, I realized that since $$$ is an object (as opposed to "Money is NO object"), I decided to take the minimalist route and ordered a black X20 with pickup that was in stock at Emerald...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:34 PM

You will like that X20..... It's hard to argue with buying from stock, unless you really NEED some custom features. And it is way easier to wait 7-8 days for shipping instead of 4-5 months for a custom build. They only ship on Fridays normally, so an order this early in the week may not ship right away.

My Emeralds are green (X20, X20-12) and red (X30) plus my wife's two woody veneer X7's (bubinga and koa) with amber backs. All of them look much more subdued in real light, with green basically looking black and red as a very dark maroon. You really only see the color in highlighted edges unless you are in sunlight or stage lighting. My X20's often ride in the Taylor hard bag that you sold me 3-4 years back, and the Hiscox hard cases mostly stay home in storage.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems real easy to inch ones way into large sums by adding this and that option. After doing a lot of soul searching, I realized that since $$$ is an object (as opposed to "Money is NO object"), I decided to take the minimalist route and ordered a black X20 with pickup that was in stock at Emerald...
Congratulations and a great choice. And you should have it next week sometime if they have their typical Friday shipping schedule together. I bought my first Emerald (red X20) straight out of stock, bought a used X7 (earlier model) from someone who bought it stock a year or two previously. And then, having experimented and knowing exactly what I liked and didn't like, I really took my time and ordered my third Emerald (new model X7 w/ cocobolo veneer)...... straight from stock and had it about five days later. There's just nothing about the way Emerald builds their spec guitars that doesn't work for me. And I liked the new X7 so much I turned around a couple months later and sold the X20 and the older X7...

Enjoy!

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber