The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Default Farida OT 22 and Variations

When the Farida OT 22 came out it was well received. I don't hear much about it lately.

I have heard it said that it is very close sound-wise to the Gibson LG 2.
I have no way to compare or access to either guitar. The vintage LG2 versions are beyond my means. The modern version(American Eagle) is discontinued. The American Eagle versions seem over priced on the used market. Some say they don't sound as good as they should either.

I don't have to have an LG2. But I do like the specs. In order to be able to continue playing, I am moving to either smaller guitars or short scale & 1 11/16" nut widths, or both or on my old school Martins, light strings. It is kind of the opposite direction of where much of the market has gone, (wider nut widths) but it is what works for me with a stroke weakened fretting hand.

So, has anybody been able to do a real comparison of the LG2 and the OT 22? Does anybody own both? What I like about the OT 22, at least on YouTube videos, is its more midrange sound. It doesn't seem bright and chimey as many small guitars are.But YouTube is not always accurate.

There aren't many similar guitars at a resonable price.
I cannot afford a custom.

Thoughts, LG2 and OT 22 players?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
The American Eagle versions seem over priced on the used market. Some say they don't sound as good as they should either.
I don't know anything about the used guitar market, but if I could get an LG2 that sounds as good as mine for around $1500, I'd sure as heck jump on it. My 2014 model is quite possibly my favorite acoustic of all time.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned both. My son still has the 2013 LG2 American Eagle I gave him. I have bought and sold about 3 or 4 LG2AE’s. Always around the 1,100 range I think? Anyways, those new Gibson LG2s are fantastic. Worth every penny.

On a budget? I owned a Farida OT22. Excellent playability. Very similar sound to the LG2. Buy with confidence on that criteria. I was amazed that such an inexpensive guitar could sound so wonderful. It does have a downside though. It is lightly built. Thin top. So of course it sounds good. But if you live in New England or the upper Midwest, come winter time you had better be sure to humidify the guitar. I was heartbroken when my top split from dryness.

Anyways, that’s an easy issue to stay on top of. Keep it in It’s case. Keep it humidified. And enjoy it. I’d say buy with confidence.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 04-30-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:50 PM

I've had my OT22 for less than a week so take this opinion with a pinch of salt. Add another pinch or two for my general lack of expertise (< 3 years playing) and talent. Far more accomplished guitarists than me have written glowing reviews of this model.

My OT22 is ok, a reasonable guitar for the price. It's well constructed, the setup is perfect and it certainly doesn't sound bad. Aesthetically, it's disappointing. The overall quality of the finish is a step below budget instruments I've owned from other lower-end brands like Blueridge, Gretsch and Sigma. The (acacia) fretboard is particularly unattractive, but if CITES isn't a consideration then you may still be able to pick up one of the original spec models with rosewood.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that when many of the original reviews came out, the OT22 sold for $379 and some buyers reportedly got a free Guardian case bundled with it. An incredible deal. However, that same setup cost me $530 (and I noticed that the price label left on the case was $10 below what I was charged).

My teacher owns a vintage LG2 and it is a truly wonderful guitar. I don't think my Farida can hold a candle to that old Gibson, but if I keep it long enough I may get the opportunity to compare them side by side.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 AM

Thanks to those who responded. After much investigation, I decided on the Farida OT 22. It seems to provide better sound than it's price would indicate. As important for me is nut width and scale length.
I know it is not an LG 2. But it it does sound good and it is1/4 to1/5 the price of an LG 2.
It is hard to find the LG 2 in good shape at a fair price. I think that they are no longer made has driven prices higher.

Perhaps down the road....
Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I tried the 25 (solid tone woods all around) and returned it. I believe (not having played one) the 22 is the way to go with this line. It seems it offers everything you're looking for at a fraction of the price of the solid B&S models. And the 22 sounds better by all accounts?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
I've had my OT22 for less than a week so take this opinion with a pinch of salt. Add another pinch or two for my general lack of expertise (< 3 years playing) and talent. Far more accomplished guitarists than me have written glowing reviews of this model.

My OT22 is ok, a reasonable guitar for the price. It's well constructed, the setup is perfect and it certainly doesn't sound bad. Aesthetically, it's disappointing. The overall quality of the finish is a step below budget instruments I've owned from other lower-end brands like Blueridge, Gretsch and Sigma. The (acacia) fretboard is particularly unattractive, but if CITES isn't a consideration then you may still be able to pick up one of the original spec models with rosewood.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that when many of the original reviews came out, the OT22 sold for $379 and some buyers reportedly got a free Guardian case bundled with it. An incredible deal. However, that same setup cost me $530 (and I noticed that the price label left on the case was $10 below what I was charged).

My teacher owns a vintage LG2 and it is a truly wonderful guitar. I don't think my Farida can hold a candle to that old Gibson, but if I keep it long enough I may get the opportunity to compare them side by side.
Remember that any solid/solid topped guitar needs time to play in. No guitar is at its best brand new.
Your guitar may become a real sweetie in time. Also, every guitar seems to have its ideal string choice. I think the Faridas come with EJ 16 D'addarios. Good strings but your ear may prefer something else.

In my experience, string choice can be a very important factor.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 AM

I have never owned an LG 2. But compared to the guitars that I do own the OT 22w has a sound all its own. I like it a great deal.
And yes, as with almost any good guitar different strings make a big difference.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion