The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
i dont think he was trying to make a derogatory statement, or even stating HIS opinion. I think he was just stating a fact, most people DO prefer wood over carbon fiber for guitars
That may be -- but I doubt that any more than something like 5% of ALL regularly-playing guitarists at pretty much any level have ever even touched a carbon fiber guitar. If that's accurate, it's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of, well, lack of knowledge. Which is, of course, fine -- if they have no desire to check out CF guitars, that's their choice. But the difference then wouldn't be from preference.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Maybe not the best example as they are now defunct.
Not to mention that they aren't nearly entirely built of carbon fiber. Tops only, unless I'm mistaken.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
I don't see it as a "different sound." With electronics and amplification a CF guitar can deliver a wide variety of sounds--certainly as versatile as wood....
GREAT POINT. I seriously doubt that, if you could chart-out the spectrum of tonal qualities of wooden guitars, then add CF guitars to the chart, the CF guitars would all (or even mostly) be outside the "spectrum" of wood guitars. They do have their own essential sound, I'd think, for the most part, but across the entire range of tonal qualities of all wood and CF guitars, I think they'd blend in to the mix pretty well.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hey Ted @ LA Guitar Sales, I think you may be reading more into my comment than was intended. I'm in no way slamming CF instruments or even disputing your assertion. I've played a few CF guitars recently and been happily surprised by how good they sounded. Given the ever-expanding list of tone woods falling under the restrictions of CITES, it seems to me we're all going to have to get used to the idea of CF guitars sooner rather than later.
I didn't think you were slamming CF guitars at all, but you did bring up a good point that these "major artists" do have other, even better guitars than what they use on stage which is very telling. Clearly Clapton isn't playing his Martin because it's more durable than his Henderson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
You are correct and thanks.
Teleman was not correct, it is not a fact the most people prefer wood guitars to CF, this has not been proven in any sort of test that I am aware of. What is a fact is that most folks can't tell the difference between a Blueridge, a Petros or a Rainsong being played in a live setting on stage. David Wilcox figured this out years ago and started touring with a Rainsong Jumbo leaving his Olson at home.

Factis currently there is no better tool for a gigging guitarist than a Rainsong, but it's a luxury most struggling musicians think can't afford so they opt instead for an entry level Martin or Taylor. Short sighted thinking to be sure but it is what it is.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
That may be -- but I doubt that any more than something like 5% of ALL regularly-playing guitarists at pretty much any level have ever even touched a carbon fiber guitar. If that's accurate, it's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of, well, lack of knowledge. Which is, of course, fine -- if they have no desire to check out CF guitars, that's their choice. But the difference then wouldn't be from preference.
fair enough i agree.

I wasnt really saying that most people prefer the sound of Wood over Carbon Fiber. I do think most people do prefer the idea, and the LOOK of wood guitars over CF.

I dont prefer one over the other. Ive played a few different carbon fibers, and honestly, its kind of hard to tell the difference tone-wise.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
fair enough i agree.

I wasnt really saying that most people prefer the sound of Wood over Carbon Fiber. I do think most people do prefer the idea, and the LOOK of wood guitars over CF. .
I think this is true
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Teleman was not correct, it is not a fact the most people prefer wood guitars to CF, this has not been proven in any sort of test that I am aware of.
I was referring to his assessment of my intention, about which, he was correct. Too many short fuses in this gin joint.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Let's face it. We are ahead of our time people
Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Let's face it. We are ahead of our time people
Well, I would think no one can accuse us of being of the "traditional-herd mentality."

I get my practice in most frequently in the morning (being retired is still my favorite job)... this morning, I played the Shorty and the Taylor 522ce 12-fret. Both very nice guitars. Both play and sound lovely.

Plugged in, though (and I generally practice plugged in), the Shorty has a wonderful balance with bass, mids, and highs. Since getting the Shorty a year and a half ago, it is my go-to playing out guitar. I am not a major artist; not even a minor artist. Well, maybe a Captain artist.

I don't think of myself as a promoter of carbon fiber; just not hung up on what anyone else plays.

For the record, 5 or 6 years ago, I got rid of a "traditional" PA system (Peavey with 15" speaker and horn in each cabinet) and went with a Bose. Some players thought that would never work as well; it has proven to be a very good set-up for my use. No carbon fiber in it that I am aware of.

Jim
Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 PM

I wasnt really saying that most people prefer the sound of Wood over Carbon Fiber. I do think most people do prefer the idea, and the LOOK of wood guitars over CF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I think this is true
Both of the above statements need to be qualified.

To the extent that a person wants to "think" that "most people do prefer the idea, and the LOOK of wood guitars over CF", . . . they are absolutely entitled to think whatever they like, but as a matter of their opinion only.

However, their thoughts and opinions are simply thoughts and opinions and, until proven otherwise, are not supported by factual information and cannot, at this point, be deemed either true or false.

This lengthy trail of posts has made it very clear that the only thing that applies to "most people", which needs to be narrowed to "most guitar players", is that most guitar players have not ever played a carbon fiber guitar.

For those that have played carbon fiber guitars, a significant number have determined that they very much like the idea and the look of carbon fiber guitars, some in addition to their wood guitars, and some as complete replacements for wood guitars. Such players have expressed their approval of the idea and look of carbon fiber guitars by purchasing enough carbon fiber guitars to support the long standing four manufacturers (i.e. RainSong, Emerald, CA, Blackbird), with a fifth (i.e. McPherson) entering the market.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM

I have a few things to say in favor for the wood defenders.
First, I disagree with some arguments previously stated by the CF team:

A. saying an opinion is less valid because you donīt own a CF guitar Is just not right. I donīt own any Ibanez or takamine but I can surely say they donīt sound as good as some other brands and my opinion would certainly be a valid one.

B. Saying that people donīt choose them/ play them is not because they donīt sound as good as the others but because they are not widely known is a chicken egg argument. Maybe itīs true people donīt play them because they are not as well known, but maybe they are not well known because they donīt sound as good. CF guitars exist a long time ago (20 years in guitar times is quite a long time considering taylor has 40 years and is already sales leader). What i want to say is that PEOPLE TEND TO CHOOSE MORE WOOD GUITARS OVER CF IS AN ACTUAL FACT. A good proof, would be reading threads like "What is your dream guitar?" or "What is the best guitar youīve ever played?" in this foumr and realizing reeeeeaaallly few people mentions a CF guitar.

My humble opinion, CF guitars are a nice, practical option, and durability is an undeniable advantage. BUT they are quite expensive and I, personally, find that equally priced wood guitars sound better than CF ones. Also I, personally, donīt like the looks and the vibe of them.

Also, "opinions" comming from CF salespeople should be "taken with a grain of salt"
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
I have a few things to say in favor for the wood defenders.
First, I disagree with some arguments previously stated by the CF team:

A. saying an opinion is less valid because you donīt own a CF guitar Is just not right. I donīt own any Ibanez or takamine but I can surely say they donīt sound as good as some other brands and my opinion would certainly be a valid one.

B. Saying that people donīt choose them/ play them is not because they donīt sound as good as the others but because they are not widely known is a chicken egg argument. Maybe itīs true people donīt play them because they are not as well known, but maybe they are not well known because they donīt sound as good. CF guitars exist a long time ago (20 years in guitar times is quite a long time considering taylor has 40 years and is already sales leader). What i want to say is that PEOPLE TEND TO CHOOSE MORE WOOD GUITARS OVER CF IS AN ACTUAL FACT. A good proof, would be reading threads like "What is your dream guitar?" or "What is the best guitar youīve ever played?" in this foumr and realizing reeeeeaaallly few people mentions a CF guitar.

My humble opinion, CF guitars are a nice, practical option, and durability is an undeniable advantage. BUT they are quite expensive and I, personally, find that equally priced wood guitars sound better than CF ones. Also I, personally, donīt like the looks and the vibe of them.

Also, "opinions" comming from CF salespeople should be "taken with a grain of salt"
Hello Yeah,

Please note that while I do own CF guitars, I am not a CF sales person. I also view wood guitars as wonderful instruments, have owned wood guitars in the past, and may very well own wood guitars in the future.

My earlier posts did not state, and were not intended to mean, that any other poster's opinion was not an opinion that they are 100% entitled to provide. Such opinions are the source of lively and good forum discussion.

The point was that their posts were opinions, and not statements of fact, with some of such opinions written/presented as conclusive, factual evidence on the preferences of guitar buyers.

Your post stated that "PEOPLE TEND TO CHOOSE MORE WOOD GUITARS OVER CF IS AN ACTUAL FACT".

I would agree, that the numbers support that statement being a fact, to the extent that annual sales numbers would have a very, very large number of wood guitars sold, compared to a small number of CF guitars sold.

My only issue with prior posts is the presentation of "opinions" as facts on why a purchaser chooses a wood guitar over a CF guitar.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM

I had seen various sidemen/band members play Rainsong and CA.I have also seen David Wilcox. I think as said there are fewer carbon fiber guitars. Then there are also fewer major stars who are known as guitar players. The guitars players off in country now are known as traditionalists for most part. Im sure people like Keith Urban or Brad Paisley are aware of the companies though, and who knows may own one.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Jeremy Camp also has a couple of CA's. Carbon fiber is actually gaining popularity among praise and worship people in general. Not sure why.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I don't understand why any of this is an issue... like 'em or don't; buy 'em or don't. Some people may be influenced by others' opinions, but not everyone buys a guitar based on what someone else thinks.

When someone gets on this forum and says, "I would never choose CF over wood," that is an opinion. When another says, "I like the sound of my CF guitar better than my wood guitars," that, too, is an opinion. Not right, not wrong, just an opinion. Do your own research, make your own decisions. If you play one CF guitar, you don't know what all the other makes and models sound like, any more than you would know what all wood guitars sound like if you played a GSmini (by all reports, a very popular model).

Nothing to get worked up about... unless someone gets their nose out of joint because the community here doesn't fall in line with their opinion. Time for everyone to get over themselves and enjoy their choice(s). This isn't a school yard where the one who screams the loudest gets heard.

When I read a post here that puts down any item that others like, I don't think less of the item, I wonder why the person making the "I would never buy (fill in the blank) feels the need to share that. The purpose of any instrument is to make music... we all do that in different ways. Again, it is about choices.

Otherwise, we'd only need one model from one manufacturer, made from one material... and where would the fun be in that??

Nothing "solved," no minds changed... time to let this one go.

Best wishes,
Jim

-----------------------

Your mission (should you decide to accept it): play every model of every tone wood (or whatever it is made from) from every guitar maker and get back to us. Odds are still pretty good it won't change any minds. Make it a point to attend every performance of every player; log and graph the make, model, and finish of each guitar. Extra credit will be given if you find out which strings, picks, straps, and the color of the case interior for each guitar. No need for capo info, since that is obviously "a cheater."

Show your work.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber