The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 03:46 PM

I think a guitar with a stiff and hard back projects the sound more and a lighter guitar radiates the sound more. So, they are different for players and listeners. Maybe.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 03-08-2021, 02:15 AM

Out of interest which do you prefer?

My hog H&D DS is definitely lighter than my Collings 000 although I’ve never properly weighed them to see by how much. Obviously comparing output volume is not really worth it due to the different body shape.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-08-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Out of interest which do you prefer?

My hog H&D DS is definitely lighter than my Collings 000 although I’ve never properly weighed them to see by how much. Obviously comparing output volume is not really worth it due to the different body shape.
I am more familiar with the Collings, it has been my primary guitar for 7 years. The H&D is of similar age but is new to me. I really enjoy the feel of the H&D and the fundamental tone it produces. I think they are close overall.

I feel like the Collings is fairly loud for a Sitka guitar. My expectation might have been out of line, but since the H&D had an adi top I assumed the It would be louder than the Collings. Don’t get me wrong, the H&D isn’t quiet, I just expected it to be louder than the Collings.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I think a guitar with a stiff and hard back projects the sound more and a lighter guitar radiates the sound more. So, they are different for players and listeners. Maybe.
This makes sense. The Collings definitely feels more like the back is reflecting the sound with less feel through the back. On the H&D you feel every note through the back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, d2h, h&d, huss&dalton, tdm