The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-23-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I hated my Boogie.
I had a Mark IV, which worked well enough for a few years, but I tried a Silver Face Deluxe Reverb and that was it. The Mark IV was sold, and never missed afterwards. The Deluxe got traded for a 67' BF Vibrolux which I still own and play to this day!

Some changes in gear workout just fine!
Old 02-23-2021, 01:53 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I hated my Boogie.
My best friend was a Boogie nut for almost 30 years. At one point he owned 4. He now owns just one, a Mark V, but after picking up a Blackstar last year he's considering selling it. I honestly can't imagine him without a Boogie. He was always such a big fan of their amps and he got a really great tone out of them too.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 02-23-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Ever experienced a change in gear for the worse?

I never have, but I probably have been lucky.

What I experience is a new challenge: how to bring out the best in whatever this new gear has to offer.

But I have also been careful to research what I buy beforehand, and I have not bought the cheapest possible stuff.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM
Guitar Gourmet

After I sold my Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger (the "Kalamazoo Super," a 4x10 combo pushed by 50 watts of 6L6s) back in 1979 to go into master volume world, I wasn't really satisfied until I got into modeling. "And now I am happy all the day." No, really. I was running the super, a low-medium gain amp, with a 2x12 custom cab and driving it flat out. The combination of the six speakers, an under-powered rectifier, and fairly low negative feedback made the Ranger sag beautifully. However, it irradiated me and everyone within a fifty-foot radius. It simply wasn't survivable. Now I've got the sound and can run it at sane SPLs!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-23-2021, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
After I sold my Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger (the "Kalamazoo Super," a 4x10 combo pushed by 50 watts of 6L6s) back in 1979 to go into master volume world, I wasn't really satisfied until I got into modeling. "And now I am happy all the day." No, really. I was running the super, a low-medium gain amp, with a 2x12 custom cab and driving it flat out. The combination of the six speakers, an under-powered rectifier, and fairly low negative feedback made the Ranger sag beautifully. However, it irradiated me and everyone within a fifty-foot radius. It simply wasn't survivable. Now I've got the sound and can run it at sane SPLs!

Bob
I do think the modeling stuff is getting very good.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
My best friend was a Boogie nut for almost 30 years. At one point he owned 4. He now owns just one, a Mark V, but after picking up a Blackstar last year he's considering selling it. I honestly can't imagine him without a Boogie. He was always such a big fan of their amps and he got a really great tone out of them too.
Saying you don't like boogie is like saying you don't like Fender. Is it the HRD you don't like? Blues Junior? One of those old 100 watt Fender Twins?

Mesa has so many amps. My "Last Amp I'll ever own" is a Mesa. A TA-15. The only tube amp that could possibly replace it is its bigger brother, the TA-30 because it's essentially the same amp but with an added effects loop. I'm fine without a loop, but every once in a while it wouldn't be the worst thing to have.

The recent Fillmore and California Tweed would probably make a lot of folks who think they don't like Mesa very happy.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Saying you don't like boogie is like saying you don't like Fender. Is it the HRD you don't like? Blues Junior? One of those old 100 watt Fender Twins?

Mesa has so many amps. My "Last Amp I'll ever own" is a Mesa. A TA-15. The only tube amp that could possibly replace it is its bigger brother, the TA-30 because it's essentially the same amp but with an added effects loop. I'm fine without a loop, but every once in a while it wouldn't be the worst thing to have.

The recent Fillmore and California Tweed would probably make a lot of folks who think they don't like Mesa very happy.
He had TA-30 for a while. Not sure why he sold it but I think he was running out of space. IIRC his wife was asking why he needed 4 amps...
Old 02-24-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Had one. In the early 80s. Used it for metal. The Distortion knob was a waste of space. Should have just left it off! Used to run a Boss DS-1 in front of it for distortion. Strangely, in keeping with this thread, I later got an MXR distortion+ that just didn't work with it. Even did a passable Black Sabbath tone with the DS-1!
Roland has scored big on hundreds of items, but yea.. they should have rethought what ever they had in there for that gain side it really was horrendous.

just goes to show tho,, with a little bit of trial and error you can make anything work.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:14 AM

I used a Fender Twin for 15 years and decided I wanted something smaller because the Twin was a back breaker and we run everything into a PA anyway so I didn't need the power, with the exception of a few larger venue outdoor gigs. I fell in love with a Mesa 22. + so I picked it up. It's a great little amp, light as a feather, and plenty loud but I missed that Twin so I went back to it.

I still have the Mesa and will probably never part with it. It's a great amp but it's not a Twin.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Yes... back in the late 70's, I was totally enamored of that Larry Carlton tone on Steely Dan and Crusader records, and I wanted that sound!

I had been working in a band, playing a Gibson ES-345 through an absolutely cherry 1959 Fender Pro amp (1 15" speaker). Terrific amplifier, whisper quiet, in stellar shape (even though I'd hauled it through 5 states with that band...

I didn't have the $$$$ to get a Mesa Boogie, but I found a Yamaha solid state amp that I thought would approximate the tone I wanted; traded that beautiful Fender Pro amp for the GL100-112 Yamaha.

Of course, the Yamaha (great amp, by the way) didn't come close to the sound of a Boogie... I still have that Yamaha, it's terrific for clean sounds...

But I have always regretted trading off that Fender Pro... more so as I've gotten older and more appreciative of that classic Fender sound.

Sigh... we live and learn...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-26-2021, 04:49 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Yes... back in the late 70's, I was totally enamored of that Larry Carlton tone on Steely Dan and Crusader records, and I wanted that sound!

I had been working in a band, playing a Gibson ES-345 through an absolutely cherry 1959 Fender Pro amp (1 15" speaker). Terrific amplifier, whisper quiet, in stellar shape (even though I'd hauled it through 5 states with that band...

I didn't have the $$$$ to get a Mesa Boogie, but I found a Yamaha solid state amp that I thought would approximate the tone I wanted; traded that beautiful Fender Pro amp for the GL100-112 Yamaha.

Of course, the Yamaha (great amp, by the way) didn't come close to the sound of a Boogie... I still have that Yamaha, it's terrific for clean sounds...

But I have always regretted trading off that Fender Pro... more so as I've gotten older and more appreciative of that classic Fender sound.

Sigh... we live and learn...
First amp I ever played through was a Yamaha G100-410.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars