The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-06-2021, 09:53 AM

Default NCFGD McPherson Sable

I finally took the plunge on a carbon fiber guitar and I am so happy that I did. My primary acoustic for the last four years has been a Taylor 314CE, a fantastic guitar. However I must say that for me, my new guitar - McPherson Carbon Sable Honeycomb Gold - is going to by my primary acoustic from now on. I'm just blown away by the sound, the way it plays, it is a perfect fit for me. The neck as far as the feel is very much like the 314CE and both are 1 3/4 at the nut, which is the size I love for fingerpicking. So, Happy NCFGD (was actually yesterday) to me!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ckL...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8x...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nqY...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDR...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17S7...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CwY...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LVW...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-06-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Sable!
Old 01-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

Is this brand new, or did you snag a used one?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-06-2021, 10:37 AM

It is new.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
It is new.
Excellent. Care to share what lead you to consider and purchase a CF guitar?
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-06-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Kenny ! To quote the famous Kramster, "You did good" I love my Sable too...best CF guitar I have owned. Let us know if you experiment with strings and find anything better than the Elixir Nano 80/20 Mediums, I haven't yet. I may try some SCGC low tension next change.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Excellent. Care to share what lead you to consider and purchase a CF guitar?
Ever since I first heard a McPherson guitar years ago, there was something unique to their sound that just drew me in, it gave me a peaceful easy feeling inside. Fast forward to fairly recently, I started thinking that I'm beginning to get old and perhaps it's time to do something about some dreams that I've had. Guitar playing, among others, is high on the things I do list. That got me to thinking about that McPherson sound that I so much loved. So I started looking around at McPherson guitars available. That is when I came across their carbon fiber Sable. I spent significant time watching every McPherson Sable guitar video I could find, reading every review I could find, etc... Review after review and video after video resounded high praises for this guitar. I don't recall coming across a single negative comment, there were a few folks that said they did not like the sound, but I don't consider that a negative comment because sound is an individualized conception/taste. The Sable also produces this same sound that the wooden McPherson that drew me in so many years ago, after all the Sable is based on the design of the custom shop Camrielle. In addition, I have plenty of wooden guitars, and I will not take them outside and to parks, etc... to play, something I would like to do. So, in the Sable I have found the McPherson sound I like and as a bonus I have a guitar that I can take to parks or wherever and not have to worry. On top of all this, a Camrielle is going start in the $10K range, the Sable can be had new for $3.2K. So it was a no-brainier for me - buy the Sable, what's not to like!

Another aspect that I considered was resources for wooden guitars are limited and some species of wood are getting harder and harder to acquire. So sustainability certainly comes into play. I personally think a properly built CF guitar rivals if not exceeds traditional wood built.

Last edited by KennyEC; 01-06-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Syntax
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Congrats on the new Sable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Congrats Kenny ! To quote the famous Kramster, "You did good" I love my Sable too...best CF guitar I have owned. Let us know if you experiment with strings and find anything better than the Elixir Nano 80/20 Mediums, I haven't yet. I may try some SCGC low tension next change.
Thank you both. John, should I experiment I will let you know. I went down that path with my Taylor 314CE and another Taylor that I had, and all roads led back to Elixir.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyEC View Post
Ever since I first heard a McPherson guitar years ago, there was something unique to their sound that just drew me in, it gave me a peaceful easy feeling inside. Fast forward to fairly recently, I started thinking that I'm beginning to get old and perhaps it's time to do something about some dreams that I've had. Guitar playing, among others, is high on the things I do list. That got me to thinking about that McPherson sound that I so much loved. So I started looking around at McPherson guitars available. That is when I came across their carbon fiber Sable. I spent significant time watching every McPherson Sable guitar video I could find, reading every review I could find, etc... Review after review and video after video resounded high praises for this guitar. I don't recall coming across a single negative comment, there were a few folks that said they did not like the sound, but I don't consider that a negative comment because sound is an individualized conception/taste. The Sable also produces this same sound that the wooden McPherson that drew me in so many years ago, after all the Sable is based on the design of the custom shop Camrielle. In addition, I have plenty of wooden guitars, and I will not take them outside and to parks, etc... to play, something I would like to do. So, in the Sable I have found the McPherson sound I like and as a bonus I have a guitar that I can take to parks or wherever and not have to worry. On top of all this, a Camrielle is going start in the $10K range, the Sable can be had new for $3.2K. So it was a no-brainier for me - buy the Sable, what's not to like!

Another aspect that I considered was resources for wooden guitars are limited and some species of wood are getting harder and harder to acquire. So sustainability certainly comes into play. I personally think a properly built CF guitar rivals if not exceeds traditional wood built.

Thanks - always interested to hear how others arrived here.

Enjoy your Sable - you're in good company here!
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Nice buy..You done good!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-06-2021, 02:59 PM

I love the way these look. Would love to try one someday. I’m fairly sure my next guitar is going to be carbon fiber, but it is a toss up between this on and the Emerald X30.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I would love to try one of these out someday.

Congrats and enjoy.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy..You done good!
Thank you Kramster. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll do some recordings and share them here! I done good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
I love the way these look. Would love to try one someday. I’m fairly sure my next guitar is going to be carbon fiber, but it is a toss up between this on and the Emerald X30.
I know it can be hard to try one out in person as a lot of places just don't carry them, but if you get the opportunity, try them out. I'm sure you would love a CF guitar. Surprisingly, McPherson has several dealers that carry the Sable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I would love to try one of these out someday.

Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks Aspiring. I hope you do try one!

To anyone who would like to try the Sable: I don't know where a lot of people are located, but I am in East Tennessee (Morristown to be exact) and I would be happy to meet anyone at a local park when it warms up a little bit and let them try out my Sable should they want. Just send me a message. I would request that you wear a mask (actually a county mandate) and sterilize before handling the Sable.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:31 PM

Congrats Kenny, nice buy, and you will enjoy being able to play care free in parks etc..
As to strings, I tried PB Elixir which I tend to favor and they came off pretty quickly as they didn’t do it for me. Back to 80/20’s and have been happy. About time to change again and might just do the SCGC parabolic but not sure yet.
Enjoy getting to know this awesome guitar.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Congrats Kenny, nice buy, and you will enjoy being able to play care free in parks etc..
As to strings, I tried PB Elixir which I tend to favor and they came off pretty quickly as they didn’t do it for me. Back to 80/20’s and have been happy. About time to change again and might just do the SCGC parabolic but not sure yet.
Enjoy getting to know this awesome guitar.
Thank you Dave. Right now the tips of my fingers feel like they are about to come off! I just can't put this guitar down. Every time I start to put it down I can hear it call to me, more, more, more...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, mcpherson sable