The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 06:34 AM

I briefly played a G45 and was underwhelmed, but I didn't play it long, and I don't recall if it was a studio or standard. I have prejudice against studio dread style guitars, they always sound thin because, well, they are thin; I just don't understand why they exist lol.
I have read on this forum that in the case of the G45, the standard and studio are in fact the same thinner depth, which is deceiving. I have not been able to verify that as Gibson's website doesn't specify the depth.
I was at one time saving up for a J15, which I think of you can afford a used one is the better option to a G45 as it's the same woods, but when Gibson released the G45 they jacked the price up on the J15 which was frustrating so I gave up on that.

That's my only input, never played the Martin 15 series.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Like saying, just eat a banana, when asked for an apple...
Not really. Just trying to be helpful. This is a discussion forum, right? Looking at the OP's wish to upgrade and his/her current collection, and the fact that the Gibsons being considered are slope shouldered dreads, I suggest shooting for the Standard. I've tried the other Gibsons. They are quality, good bang-for-buck choices -- but they are compromise choices. They don't sound like traditional Gibsons or anything like a good J45, nor do they play as well. I know budget is a major factor, but I consider the J45 -- or a D-18 -- a relative value as priced. I would rather have one really good guitar than five decent ones. One man's opinion.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodythebaker View Post
Did you get a chance to compare the G45 studio to the G45 Standard? I’ve had my eye on the studio for a few weeks now for the same reasons you listed, I just haven’t had the time to make it in to the local GC to play around with them.

I’ve been banging on a Taylor 114 that has been kicking around my house for a few years - how’d you say the G45 would compare tone wise to a Taylor?

Can’t wait to get out and try the G45.
I haven't played the G45 Standard. I've never played a 114, but my Taylor 110 sounds better than the Gibson... I think the Gibson sounds good, but just needs more bass... It's missing the bass that I wish it had.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I haven't played the G45 Standard. I've never played a 114, but my Taylor 110 sounds better than the Gibson... I think the Gibson sounds good, but just needs more bass... It's missing the bass that I wish it had.

Looks like this comparison will be short lived. I just received an email back from Gibson - I originally asked them why the G45 suddenly disappeared from their website, and this was their response:

“Hi,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, this model has been discontinued and is no longer in production or available for order. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jon
Consumer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc.
1-800-4GIBSON
www.gibson.com”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
g45, gibson, martin d15