The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 01:29 PM

Default I need Your Help about my new Martin HDC-28E

Hello everyone, I have saved money for a long time and bought the Martin HDC-28E. Since martin guitars are not sold in the country where I live, a friend who lives in America bought it for me and brought it to me. However, there is a problem that the sound of my guitar is not as loud as I imagined, even the much cheaper models of the Taylor brand have a louder sound. Would it be a change if I put on thick guitar strings? I am spiritually devastated, waiting for your suggestions, thank you very much ...
Old 09-18-2020, 02:10 PM

New strings would probably help. Whatever gauge you prefer would be fine but mediums will give you more volume.

It could be a humidity issue.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Like Ben M said, it could be over humidified. Make sure it's between 40-50% with a cheap hygrometer. Also make sure to put new medium 13-56 gauge strings on it.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:09 PM

also make sure the saddle is not loose in the slot.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Do you know what sort of conditions your friend was in while he had the guitar? Was it ever put into the cargo hold of a plane or something like that? If it was being toted around by someone who doesn't play guitar it's possible it could've sustained some damage or been exposed to less than ideal conditions at some point. I'd try humidifying it to comfortable levels, and also take it to a guitar tech who can take a look to make sure everything looks good.

That said, "loud" does not always necessarily mean "good". You might just need to adjust a bit to a tone that's different than what you're used to.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
That said, "loud" does not always necessarily mean "good". You might just need to adjust a bit to a tone that's different than what you're used to.
^^ This. After you let the guitar acclimate to 45% RH (plus or minus) for a couple of weeks and try some new medium gauge strings, then you can judge. Until then try not to form irreversible opinions. What country are you in?
Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 PM

Hello everyone again, today I changed my guitar's strings and put on 0.13 medium. My guitar is louder now than I expected. However, this time, the B and E strings are sometimes sizzling. I think I should meet with a luthier. Thank you all so much ...
Old 09-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCharvel View Post
Hello everyone again, today I changed my guitar's strings and put on 0.13 medium. My guitar is louder now than I expected. However, this time, the B and E strings are sometimes sizzling. I think I should meet with a luthier. Thank you all so much ...
Good idea. I play my dreads with light or medium/light string and lose very little volume compared to mediums. So something more than string gauge is going on. Your luthier should be able to figure it out. Good luck!

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 09-19-2020, 06:56 PM

You could try changing to bone pins
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitarsound, martin, martin d28 d 28 d-28, martin hd-28