The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-18-2020, 10:35 AM

Arrow 1967 Gibson J-50

The guitar

What I have for sale is a 1967 Gibson J-50 Acoustic guitar. It is a 6-string dreadnought chord strumming machine. This guitar has signs of wear, but for a guitar this age, it’s in great condition. No major cracks or repairs--it is all intact. Beside the great sound (its best characteristic), the finish is a deep color, and the wood has a distinct antique appeal.

It is set up to be used for recording as there is a hole drilled for an endpin jack. I used to have a Schatten steel string passive pickup in the guitar. For some amateur recordings I did, check out the link to my Soundcloud account below.

The guitar came with a basic softshell case with blue colored felt on the inside. The case shows some signs of wear, and was that way when I bought it from Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville.
My asking price is $2450

A little background about my myself and the guitar
Hello, my name is Carl and I have been playing guitar since high school (graduated 15 years ago now). Guitars were a big part of my life for many years. I even lived in Nashville for a year and bought this guitar from Carter Vintage guitars on 625 8th Ave S. I went in looking for something specific- I picked out a guitar that suited my preferred playing style, which was inspired by Woody Guthrie & Bob Dylan. I learned and studied the I-IV-V chord progression (and variations of it), and became familiar enough with those progressions that I was able to write my own songs using them.

Some songs I made were quite good, and were a lot of fun to play. Luckily, I recorded some while I was still well practiced. The link to some Soundcloud songs is here, I recommend listening to “This Land is Your Land”, it features the guitar sound nicely. https://soundcloud.com/gustywinz/sets/dirty-overhauls. The guitar is from 1967, and I always thought that was a good time for music in our country. Owning a guitar this age helps you to imagine the times. Bob Dylan had already made waves in the country and world for his enigmatic crowd filled performances. It was also “summer of love” that year, and two years later Woodstock happened. It is a time rich with music.

This was not a cheap guitar. Buying vintage always costs more than new. It took me a few months to pay it off while working downtown Nashville construction, but eventually I got it. At the time I had another guitar (a Taylor Ga3) so while I was waiting for the Gibson J-50, I was playing on the Taylor. I must say, the Gibson was my choice out of a few guitars, and it really gave me the sound I was looking for. For one, it pairs perfectly with a harmonica. Bob Dylan’s songs really came together when playing along with the harmonica! I crafted some of my own songs that sounded great. I was singing, playing harmonica, and playing guitar. I had some A-ha moments when playing. For example, it was fun to sing Mr. Tambourine man and play all the guitar and harmonica parts.

Once, while back in Milwaukee visiting a friend, I tried recording as many of my songs as I could. I have provided a link ( listed above) where you can hear some of my songs. In some cases it is just raw guitar, vocals, and harmonica. In other cases, it is layered tracks to sound like a full band playing. I played with some musician friends to make the full tracks. Long story short, I still have this guitar and am looking to sell it to fund other endeavors now that the “songwriter” phase for this guitar is over for me. I would like to get it in the hands of someone who can make songs on it like I did (and so many others have done) and become inspired by music and songwriting.

Last edited by gustywinz; 10-03-2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Price raise
Old 09-03-2020, 12:46 PM

Default joke

What's the difference between a savings bond and a banjo player?

Answer: A savings bond eventually matures and earns money!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
1967, 1967 gibson, gibson, j-50, vintage acoustic