The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Cool Upgrade

I just upgraded from my starter guitar (Fender CD-60CE) to a Seagull Amber Trail CW Folk. I'm very excited, but I'm still not sure how big of an upgrade am I in for? Anybody have experience with these two guitars that can comment on the quality difference?
Old 03-13-2019, 05:02 PM

I don't know these models, but I can say this. I never met an electric Fender I didn't like, but never met an acoustic one I cared much for. I've always been impressed whenever I played a Seagull. That said, I've not played many Fender acoustics, I've heard some are much better than others.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:51 PM

It’s a decent upgrade but not much. Everyone praises Seagulls but I personally hate them. The neck is thick and stiff, doesn’t come with gloss, ugly headstock..

Sound is alright. I’ve found the string tension to be really tight.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
It’s a decent upgrade but not much. Everyone praises Seagulls but I personally hate them. The neck is thick and stiff, doesn’t come with gloss, ugly headstock..

Sound is alright. I’ve found the string tension to be really tight.
A lot of people don't like the headstock but it's built that way for more precise tuning. Go to the site and see what the mfr. has to say about it. The headstock also has nothing to do with how the guitar sounds.

Personally, I love the neck but my first guitar was a sister to the Seagull, a Simon and Patrick which has a similar neck. Also, it depends on someone's hands, whether the neck is comfortable or not. Obviously, the member above has hands that don't get along with the Seagull neck. That happens.

Now, getting back to your question, Fender acoustics don't get a lot of love on any forum I have been on and AGF is included. Seagull and the rest of the Godin acoustics get a lot of respect and some glowing reports. I won't be in the "glowing" group but they make very decent acoustics and I have not heard a bad one yet. But it's your ears and hands that are important here, not mine or anyone else's. If it sounds and feels better to you, then it's an upgrade. If not, look for something else.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM

I've only played one Fender acoustic and it was so-so. My experience with Seagull is fairly extensive as I've owned 5 in the past and still own most of those. I've always been impressed with Seagull and some of the best values have been in their lower priced models. Just today I pulled down my S6 and was quickly reminded of how good a guitar it is and I paid 250 for it used. I don't have any experience with the model you've chosen, but the odds favor your being impressed with it.

I find the neck ideal; all of mine have the 1.8" nut which is slightly wider than some of the more "standard" sizing. Some Seagull's come with a 1.72" nut. Additionally, I really like the satin feel neck on the Seagull's I have, as it's much smoother for me to play than those with a gloss finish. With regard to string tension, they seem to have the same as other guitars I have of the same scale length.

Enjoy!

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Hi. I have several seagulls in my small collection. One of them is a Natural Folk Solid Spruce; surprising sound for such a small guitar. It excels when fingerpicked, and is comfortable to play on the couch. I also have a Walnut Mini Jumbo which is one of my favs! Love me them Seagulls! Ricci
Old 03-14-2019, 08:12 AM

I can't help you with either model, but I can say, "Congrats and have fun with the new one!"

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM

I’m not a fender fan and I’m not obsessed with seagulls but with the right string combination and set up it should both sound and play very well. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
amber trail cw folk, cd-60ce, fender, seagull, upgrade