The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-06-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Gibson Electrics - 2019 NAMM.

I watched a few videos and read some Forum threads on Gibson's 2019 NAMM show for their electrics. Looks like the new owners listened to players' feedback and acted on it. Really positive feedback from the show, the fans, and the forums. The new guitars are due out in the latter half of 2019.

A few changes include:
  • A 50's and a 60's Spec Les Paul Standard. Basically, the current Traditional will be the new Standard (Traditional is dropped)
  • A new "Modern" Les Paul and SG line. Basically similar to the current HP Line (which is dropped)
  • A drop in price. The Les Paul Standard will be priced less than the current Traditional Les Paul
  • Some nice Specials and Juniors

Lots of other changes that will come up in this thread.

Here's one video (over an hour long):
https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...p-guitar-demos

Anyone else hear about the new Gibsons? Your thoughts?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
...A few changes include:
  • A 50's and a 60's Spec Les Paul Standard. Basically, the current Traditional will be the new Standard (Traditional is dropped)
  • A new "Modern" Les Paul and SG line. Basically similar to the current HP Line (which is dropped)
  • A drop in price. The Les Paul Standard will be priced less than the current Traditional Les Paul
  • Some nice Specials and Juniors
Lots of other changes that will come up in this thread...Your thoughts?
In order:
  • Been looking for a reasonably-priced, lightweight "second-run" '60 LP Standard (SG-style Slim Taper neck, chrome-dome knobs) for years - couldn't find an original back in the day, and don't need to pay $7K+ for dead-on historical accuracy in what I know is going to be a player's instrument, so I'm looking forward to checking one out;
  • Not my cuppa tea in either tone or looks, but they sell well to a certain type of player so it's a good move to keep them in the pared-down lineup;
  • In the words of David Crosby, it's been a long time coming - frankly, I never saw any justification for Gibson's price structure under Henry J., and I'm glad someone is finally restoring some sanity to the mix;
  • IME these instruments were always the best bang-for-the-buck during the Henry J. era, and if they can not only restore them to their rightful place in the LP/SG hierarchy but make evolutionary changes that improve tone/playability/QC without mucking up the classic cosmetics of their mid-20th-century forbears (that Marauder-style pickguard/control panel on the 2019 LP Junior has to go, and soon ), they're going to sell them by the shipload...
I realize it's a transition period for Gibson, but I'd also like to see them bring the same sort of common-sense product positioning/pricing to their ES lineup in the not-too-distant future. Similarly, if Mark Campellone can produce an all-solid hand-carved archtop for $5K on a small-shop basis I see no reason Gibson, with its considerable resources, can't reintroduce its classic carved jazzboxes - from the entry-level L-50 to the Super 400, along with their respective -CES versions - at prices that would, on the lower end of the line, put them in the same bracket as the highly-successful Loar and Eastman instruments; there's been a renewed interest in archtops over the last 20-25 years, neither Guild not Gretsch are stepping up to meet the demand, Heritage has unfortunately become a shadow of what they might have been - and while they'll never recapture their '30s-40s market dominance, I just have a gut feeling that more than a few folks who are currently eyeing up a J-45 or J-200 could be easily swayed to a similarly-priced L-50 or L-5 respectively, should they be readily available...
Old 02-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Gibson was bigger at NAMM this year than any year I can remember (they weren't even there last year and the last several they might not as well have been).

I think we're going to see some twists on old stuff along wih some back to basics. I was excited just to see how large and in charge they were this year. Definitely had a "they're back!" feeling.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:53 PM

I bought a Traditional last year when I heard about the bankruptcy. Went out and got a nice deal and figured that I'd go ahead and bite the bullet just in case something crazy happened with Gibson.

Funny thing is that now that the Traditionals are being done away with, I've had people out of the blue offer me more than I paid for my Traditional. Mine's Iced Tea burst, so maybe a discontinued color as well.

I wonder if the Traditionals will ever gain in value. Seems in the present, they are worth about $200 more than I paid.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I bought a Traditional last year when I heard about the bankruptcy. Went out and got a nice deal and figured that I'd go ahead and bite the bullet just in case something crazy happened with Gibson.

Funny thing is that now that the Traditionals are being done away with, I've had people out of the blue offer me more than I paid for my Traditional. Mine's Iced Tea burst, so maybe a discontinued color as well.

I wonder if the Traditionals will ever gain in value. Seems in the present, they are worth about $200 more than I paid.
I don't see the Traditionals or the current Standard going up in value anytime soon given that the new Standard will cost less than both of them. That's just a thought though and I could be wrong on that.

Interesting that you're being offered more for your traditional than when you bought it last year. Is it a keeper?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 AM

My only curiosity is if the post-bankruptcy fixed the SFQ issue relative to their competition. My trips to Dave’s and other great shops with a whole lot of inventory would disappoint me because the Gibson models I liked were priced like or more than Collings and PRS but most were crude by comparison.

Basically it seemed like other old brands such as Martin and Fender sold better or at least more consistently well made stuff in addition to selling the model designs and logo. When I read about Gibson change my hope was more truly premium stuff at the higher prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars