The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Seeking best possible a/e dreadnought with cutaway, hopefully under $1k

Hi all,

I posted a few months back requesting help selecting a dreadnought. I play almost exclusively electric guitar and mandolin, and I've been out of the acoustic loop for an embarrassingly long time. After quite a lot of trips to Guitar Centers and every little boutique I could find in NYC, I feel pretty confident that a Martin D-18 is exactly what I want, both in terms of sound and feel for my own music.

But I'm putting a pin in the D-18 because I'm actually *more* in need of a versatile acoustic/electric for an upcoming theater project, which I'm also acting in. A cutaway -- something I kind of loathe the look of on most Martins -- would be especially helpful, as I know I'll be capoing pretty far up the neck on some songs. A great sounding pickup system will be essential, either as an upgrade, or as something already in the guitar. Using the pickup likely won't be an option during rehearsals, so it needs to have healthy unplugged volume too. I'll mostly be strumming, and occasionally playing fingerstyle. I don't want to spend more than $1000 if I can help it -- this guitar will inevitably get a little too much TLC from being around a bunch of unpredictable actors -- but I also don't want something that feels cheap or obviously disposable. Beyond this upcoming theater project, if this guitar could double as my gigging workhorse, then the (eventual) D-18 can live at home for recording, or come out for my Americana/bluegrass influenced gigs.

So far, the guitars I'm looking at are:
- Yamaha A3R or A3M
- Guild D-150ce
- Takamine GD71ce
- Breedlove Stage Dread

I haven't been able to play all of these yet. I played and loved a Yamaha A3R (I'd be curious to A/B it with the A3M). A little heavy perhaps, but the neck felt nice in my hand, and the sound felt like it came somewhat close to the boomy strum of a Martin. I played a different Takamine today, the GD93, and I very much liked the chunky neck profile. The tone, though, seemed a little watery to me. I haven't come across a Guild D-150 at a store yet, but I played and like a D-120. I don't think all-mahogany is for me, though. I did like the slightly larger 1 3/4" nut width. Going back to the A3R felt cramped after a few minutes on the Guild, but I finished my demoing session feeling really good about the A3R. I should add that I played all of these guitars unplugged only.

The Breedlove Stage Dread seems elusive on the retail market, but several of its features - especially the pinless bridge - are very tantalizing.

I'd love any recommendations you fine folks might have. Any experience with the guitars I mentioned -- or didn't -- would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin
2010 National RM-1 Mandolin
Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 PM

From what I've seen and read the Yamaha would be pretty solid! It's enough of a beater that you don't have to worry about it a lot. But sounds pretty good. Also, the AC3R is pretty great too.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps a Seagull Maritime SWS? All solid wood, list is under $1K, used can be had for $600 or so?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Look for a Maton s70c - all solid, top quality wood, hard case, and one of the best pickup systems any factory offers - https://reverb.com/item/14784198-mat...-free-shipping
Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Look for a Maton s70c - all solid, top quality wood, hard case, and one of the best pickup systems any factory offers - https://reverb.com/item/14784198-mat...-free-shipping
I haven't played a Maton before, but I'll keep an eye out for that.

Totally throwing a wrench in my plans is an extremely well-priced used Martin D-16GTE that just came up on Craigslist near me...
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 PM

I have the Yamaha A1M and the fit and finish is impeccable. I've heard great things about the A3 series sound when plugged in--the pickup system is reported to be top-notch.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Perhaps a Seagull Maritime SWS? All solid wood, list is under $1K, used can be had for $600 or so?

I'm going to second the Seagull line, but up it one to the Artist Deluxe CE. I found mine for under 1K online and its an amazing guitar that stacks up against anything I've played under 4K. Mine was classified as "B" stock, but was perfect with no physical flaws and just an amazing tone.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:54 AM

The Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE would be a good choice.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
The Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE would be a good choice.
I suggest you check the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE, too. Owned mine for over three years. Plays and sounds great. I find the built-in electronics excellent and accommodate a wide variety of tones. Good luck in your search!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor Bill View Post
I suggest you check the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE, too. Owned mine for over three years. Plays and sounds great. I find the built-in electronics excellent and accommodate a wide variety of tones. Good luck in your search!
Very good; I’ve seen plenty of Masterbuilts in stores lately, I’ll be sure to play one on my next outing.
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin
Old 12-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Takamine P3DC... cedar top over sapele back and sides. Warm guitar. Sounds great acoustically. Sounds fantastic plugged in.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Hi all,

The Breedlove Stage Dread seems elusive on the retail market, but several of its features - especially the pinless bridge - are very tantalizing.
Probably because the Stage and Atlas series were discontinued several years ago.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Probably because the Stage and Atlas series were discontinued several years ago.
Ahhh. That explains it.
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin
Old 12-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Have you considered a used Gibson HP 415 or HP 635?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Have you considered a used Gibson HP 415 or HP 635?
I haven’t played either of these, though I played many Gibsons in my hunt for a “premium” level dread (I even bought and returned a J-15 with cutaway, after deciding its voice was too muffled for me). These HPs look pretty good, but might be a little more than I’d like to spend on this particular guitar.
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a3r, acoustic/electric, cutaway, guild, yamaha